Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What do you have your screen saver set at?

What do you have your screen saver set at?
Merkava_4
Feb 24, 2009, 01:27 AM

I've got mine set at 5 minutes, but it gets a little annoying when watching a video. How long can I go without destroying the screen?

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2009, 02:30 AM

First of all, this has nothing to do with Apple portable hardware, so I've moved it.

Second, a "screen saver" does nothing of the sort with modern LCDs. The only truly useful aspect of screen savers these days is to lock your screen, not prevent burn-in, which doesn't exist with LCDs. Set the screen saver to an hour or more or never. Your screen is not going to get "destroyed".

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
First of all, this has nothing to do with Apple portable hardware, so I've moved it.

Second, a "screen saver" does nothing of the sort with modern LCDs. The only truly useful aspect of screen savers these days is to lock your screen, not prevent burn-in, which doesn't exist with LCDs. Set the screen saver to an hour or more or never. Your screen is not going to get "destroyed".

Steve
Does a dark SS save the backlight, extending life ?

Is it actually dimming the backlight, or just presenting a dark image in front of it ?

Similarly when the screen dims pre display sleep ?

I use Bigtime SS, which dims the screen considerably and shows large digital click, pre display sleep.

Update: I've just measured the iMac power consumption, and the 52w pre screensave is exactly the same 52w after screen saver.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 24, 2009 at 06:05 AM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 AM

If you want to extend the life of your screen, have it turn off (energy saver settings).

A dark screen saver will just keep the the backlight running at full power, not extending its life in the slightest.

(In fact, IIRC, a dark image on an LCD screen means that all the pixel transistors are switched on, so a dark screen saver actually consumes slightly *more* energy than a bright image.)

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If you want to extend the life of your screen, have it turn off (energy saver settings).

A dark screen saver will just keep the the backlight running at full power, not extending its life in the slightest.

(In fact, IIRC, a dark image on an LCD screen means that all the pixel transistors are switched on, so a dark screen saver actually consumes slightly *more* energy than a bright image.)
Pretty much what I've just confirmed, thanks

I only use SS manually when I am downloading or other task and don't want to "sleep" yet.

I've just reset my SS to come on automatically only a minute pre sleep.

Any knowledge on the pre sleep screen dimming ?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Merkava_4  (op)
Feb 25, 2009, 08:31 PM

Excellent answer!! Thank you sir.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2009, 10:55 PM

Second, a "screen saver" does nothing of the sort with modern LCDs. The only truly useful aspect of screen savers these days is to lock your screen, not prevent burn-in, which doesn't exist with LCDs.
Actually burn in exist well and truly on LCDs. Fortunately it is temporary, but annoying nonetheless. I had a period where I would come home from work, find that EyeTV had opened it's full screen menu which was then readable for hours as a ghost image after.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ibook_steve
Feb 27, 2009, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Actually burn in exist well and truly on LCDs. Fortunately it is temporary, but annoying nonetheless. I had a period where I would come home from work, find that EyeTV had opened it's full screen menu which was then readable for hours as a ghost image after.
Yes, this type of "burn-in" did occur on older panels (I have an old Apple Cinema Display that does it), but I haven't seen it on any panels from the past 3 or 4 years.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2009, 05:07 AM

I have my screensaver set to stun. Set at 15 minutes, since I noticed a menu-bar burn in the other day.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2009, 09:39 AM

Yes, this type of "burn-in" did occur on older panels (I have an old Apple Cinema Display that does it), but I haven't seen it on any panels from the past 3 or 4 years.

Steve
My iMac is two years old. And it is a much higher quality display than the new glossy iMacs which have horrible viewing angle. Seriously, I can't stand them, window shadows create a ****ing aura from anything else than dead straight on.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules