Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ID3 Tag Editor

ID3 Tag Editor
lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 04:47 PM

I need a program that will take the v2 tags and copy them to the v1. I want to burn an mp3 cd and have my car cd player recognize the tags. iTunes only writes to v2, and the player only reads v1. Does any one know of any software that will take care of this ?
lazydesert

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by lazydesert:
I need a program that will take the v2 tags and copy them to the v1. I want to burn an mp3 cd and have my car cd player recognize the tags. iTunes only writes to v2, and the player only reads v1. Does any one know of any software that will take care of this ?
In iTunes, go to "advanced" and "convert ID3 tags". then select v.1 tags..

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 07:59 PM

mp3 rage is also good but it's shareware

lazydesert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
In iTunes, go to "advanced" and "convert ID3 tags". then select v.1 tags..
If I do this, will my tags show up as v1 in itunes ?
lazydesert

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2003, 06:36 AM

If I do this, will my tags show up as v1 in itunes ?
I would say so, as the result of that command is to convert the tag to v1.

WM

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
I would say so, as the result of that command is to convert the tag to v1.

WM
You'll use a lot of useful data though... I don't remember exactly what was in v1, but I think you have really short song names, no special characters, and no 'out of' track number. So you may want to copy all the mp3s youll be burning to a disc image, drag them all into iTunes, convert down to v1 and then burn the image.
~BS

lazydesert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
You'll use a lot of useful data though... I don't remember exactly what was in v1, but I think you have really short song names, no special characters, and no 'out of' track number. So you may want to copy all the mp3s youll be burning to a disc image, drag them all into iTunes, convert down to v1 and then burn the image.
~BS
Fair enough, if that's the only way.
But that is entirely too much work. The two version should be able to coexist. I know you can edit both with winamp along with a few other windows applications like Tag&Rename. Too bad there's isn't a comparable application on OSX
lazydesert

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2003, 05:51 PM

Fair enough, if that's the only way.
But that is entirely too much work. The two version should be able to coexist. I know you can edit both with winamp along with a few other windows applications like Tag&Rename. Too bad there's isn't a comparable application on OSX
They can coexist, you can use v1 tags in your v2 environment, you can edit them both, the thing you're not going to be able to do (on windows or otherwise) is to get v2.4 data into v1 tags. It's just simply not part of the format.

~BS

lazydesert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 06:55 PM

They can coexist, you can use v1 tags in your v2 environment, you can edit them both, the thing you're not going to be able to do (on windows or otherwise) is to get v2.4 data into v1 tags. It's just simply not part of the format.

~BS
Yes I understand that.
The only vital information that I need in the v1 tag is artist, album, and title. I understand that some of those tags will get cut off due to the character limit of v1.
All I need is a program that will copy the text from v2 to v1 without forcing me to use v1 in itunes.
lazydesert

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2003, 08:26 PM

The id3 tag isn't part of the itunes library or in some other abstract location, it's part of the actual mp3 file. So if you do find a utility that changes the id3 tags you'll be seeing the changes in iTunes too. The only way to do what you want is to work with a copy of the file, or if there was a program that converted tags as it burned the cd.

~BS

lazydesert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 10:45 PM

The id3 tag isn't part of the itunes library or in some other abstract location, it's part of the actual mp3 file. So if you do find a utility that changes the id3 tags you'll be seeing the changes in iTunes too. The only way to do what you want is to work with a copy of the file, or if there was a program that converted tags as it burned the cd.

~BS
I don't know how to be clearer
If I write to the v1 tags with itunes, it will erase v2, then the v1 tags will show up IN itunes.
If I write to the v1 tags with another application. It should keep both v1 and v2 in the file, and I'd hope itunes would read the v2.

I wish this wasn't an issue
lazydesert

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 11:20 AM

Use MP3 Rage 5.7:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/3847

It's the most comprehensive tag editing software you'll find on OS X (and I prefer it to any Windows app I've ever used for the same tasks).

But more to your point, once you open to edit the tags, check V1 and V2 updating and it will copy over to V1 whatever is allowed in the V1 standard while keeping your V2 tags in tact. So nothing's lost and your work isn't doubled. What's more, you can specify the folder you want modified and it will do it all automatically (so you won't have to open the .mp3 files one by one).

Give it a spin, I've used it for 2+ years and just wouldn't want to organize my music library without it.

BD

lazydesert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
Use MP3 Rage 5.7:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/3847

It's the most comprehensive tag editing software you'll find on OS X (and I prefer it to any Windows app I've ever used for the same tasks).

But more to your point, once you open to edit the tags, check V1 and V2 updating and it will copy over to V1 whatever is allowed in the V1 standard while keeping your V2 tags in tact. So nothing's lost and your work isn't doubled. What's more, you can specify the folder you want modified and it will do it all automatically (so you won't have to open the .mp3 files one by one).

Give it a spin, I've used it for 2+ years and just wouldn't want to organize my music library without it.

BD
Rock on, I think this'll take care of things. AND it's even a mac update link but the download link and their homepage isn't working for me, so I'll try later. Thanks!
lazydesert

Forum Links
Forum Rules