Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > QuickTime 7 Temp

QuickTime 7 Temp
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 01:24 AM

Is anyone aware of the location of the QuickTime 7 temp directory? I used to enjoy grabbing iTunes Music Store videos from /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/, but the location has changed and I'm not sure how to go about finding it.

Thanks all!

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 02:00 AM

spotlight. That should find it for you. Or have you already tried?
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

digital_dreamer
Apr 30, 2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by macgyvr64
Is anyone aware of the location of the QuickTime 7 temp directory? I used to enjoy grabbing iTunes Music Store videos from /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/, but the location has changed and I'm not sure how to go about finding it.

Thanks all!
I don't know about iTunes, but in the movie trailers, Apple's using the Library/Quicktime/Cache folder.
However, after finding the "correct" file (looking at file size) in the numerous cryptic folders, copying it to the desktop, changing name, and adding qt extension, the player does not open it.

Don't know what's happening here.

regards,
MAJ

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 02:38 AM

( Last edited by michaelb; Apr 30, 2005 at 03:22 AM. Reason: doesn't work, sorry)

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 03:11 AM

QuickTime temp files are stored in subfolders of ~/Library/Caches/Quicktime/, however (as digital_dreamer said), renaming the file with a correct extension only results in "QuickTime cannot open the file: "test.mov" it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)", even when i'm sure that it's the correct file. While it was downloading, I watched it's size increase. if this isn't the right file, something is terribly wrong :-P

I'm not sure what the difference is between a normal QuickTime movie and this file, though I'll continue to investigate.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 03:25 AM

If you open the file in a hex editor, its header shows 'qtch' at the beginning, which suggests the data has been scrambled into a different sort of file, maybe "QuickTime Cache?"

I *wonder* if Apple is now encrypting the cached movie files. In this case they will need to be descrambled, but of course this risks crossing the DMCA.

Linds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 03:38 AM

I just encountered the same problem. Quite frustrating when you can't really afford to keep on downloading the ~100mb HD H.264 demo trailers and you computer can't play the 1080 res files they make available by zip.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 04:39 AM

Check macosxhints, there's a new one with a script to save videos from itms.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 05:14 AM

Very cool, the script on that page worked well. I'll have to sift through the AppleScript and figure out exactly what they're doing (and possibly make a PHP script that presents you with a list of option-clickable URLs given a list of iTMS video links) :-P

Forum Links
Forum Rules