Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > selling G4/400

selling G4/400
GryphonG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2001, 01:19 AM

I'm a college student and I'm finding lately that I'm more and more in need of a laptop so I'm looking to sell my desktop . . . any suggestions on places to try and sell it, price criticisms, or interested buyers would be appreciated.

G4/400 (PCI)/256 megs RAM/10g HD/DVD/Zip100 (internal)

I haven't done any major upgrades, just added 128 megs of RAM. I have a Micro Connectors full sized keyboard and Contour Design 3 button UniMouse. If it's possible I'd like to get about $1150 for it.

I'm also willing to sell my 17" Apple Studio monitor along with the minitower or seperately. I'm considering hanging on to it as an external monitor for whatever laptop I get, simply because I love the image and color quailty, and since Apple no longer makes studio monitors, but I may need the money to afford a laptop, so if someone's really interested in it, let me know.

[email protected]

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: GryphonG4 ]

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2001, 08:41 PM

I suggest eBay. Lots of folks slam eBay for the prices, but this works in your favor as a seller. Prices tend to be 10% or 20% high, on average. You can list your Power Mac with a reserve, so if you don't get your price, you don't have to sell. Same thing with the monitor. List it with a reserve you're comfortable with. It costs about $2 if your item doesn't sell, maybe $20 if it does. That's eBay's cut. I've sold lots of computer stuff on eBay, so if you decide to go that route, give me a holler. I can help with ideas for a successful ad, plus mention a few pitfalls to avoid. Take a look at my latest item on eBay here. Now I just sit back and let the buyers come to me!

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 02:38 PM

Hey, I was just in Northfield this weekend!

I think the model you are selling is a decent speed and setup. eBay can sell it for you, but if you place a single ad in the local Star Tribune, with a competitive price you won't pay shipping, you can see and get your money face-to-face and not worry about something getting damaged enroute (in shipping).

You may be asking just a bit much -- because you can get a comparable iMac for that price without the expandability. I also suggest keeping the monitor and connecting it to your future laptop. Your eyes will appreciate it after long hours studying and typing. Of course that's a matter of opinion and taste. I prefer a monitor to flat screen for almost all tasks (although these newer screens are getting VERY close to my desired performance and I'm getting tempted).

If I had the money I'd get this to supplement my dual533 as a second workstation or OSX server. Good luck> Vive la Macintosh!

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

benschilke
Sep 25, 2001, 11:39 PM

It's interesting to hear criticism of ebay's high prices, because I've been rather frustrated trying to find a bargain on a used G4. Does anyone have any alternatives they would suggest (most sites that sell, don't have a lot listed at any one time).

Thanks you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules