Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How, exactly, has Obama failed?

How, exactly, has Obama failed? (Page 6)
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Do you honestly believe that the untapped US domestic supply is enough to put a dent in the global supply that will force global costs to drop?
Hard to know for certain. If you take our consumption out of the equation by producing domestically, we could bring our costs down. We could also export more of the commodity which I believe could skew speculation downward.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Hard to know for certain. If you take our consumption out of the equation by producing domestically, we could bring our costs down. We could also export more of the commodity which I believe could skew speculation downward.
In order to reduce domestic consumption through domestic production, wouldn't you have to force the companies to sell on a domestic market (which doesn't exist presently) rather than sell onto the much more profitable international market?

As for skewing prices downward through export, my understanding is that the volume available for extraction in the US is most likely a drop in the bucket compared with international quantities. If that's the case, any domestic production would likely have very little effect on international prices.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
There's a gas shortage in California.
If your car needed gas, you option is to fill up at the closest gas station unless you want to risk running out of gas and having to walk or call a tow truck.
Some stations are just price gouging.
I'd have to pin this on the shortage rather than gouging. Specifically, it looks like some stations didn't alter their prices enough and ran out.

This station probably doesn't mind raising their prices so high because they have so little to begin with.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
In order to reduce domestic consumption through domestic production, wouldn't you have to force the companies to sell on a domestic market (which doesn't exist presently) rather than sell onto the much more profitable international market?
As for skewing prices downward through export, my understanding is that the volume available for extraction in the US is most likely a drop in the bucket compared with international quantities. If that's the case, any domestic production would likely have very little effect on international prices.
It's my understanding that with the development of new extraction techniques such as fracking, there's a wealth of resources available in the US (Kansas alone) that rival the global market and could have quite an impact not only on domestic production, but would be more readily available for usage in the US market without as much in transport logistics. One thing's for sure, at the least it would employ a lot of people. It's a something-policy in contrast with the nothing-policy status quo and I'd like to see the US pursue this ideal.
ebuddy

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2012, 06:38 AM

You're talking about natural gas, aren't you? The US has massive natural gas resources that should be able to be accessed by techniques such as fracking - assuming we can solve the current problems with fracking (such as minor earthquakes and contamination of groundwater, although at least some of that seems to be company-specific incompetence/negligence), and we don't find any other side effects that turn out to be any more serious.

Having said that, there's a huge difference between oil and natural gas - it's a different energy source with its own set of problems, not the least of which is "it isn't oil": there will be a not-inexpensive transition process to have energy users switch from oil to natural gas. So sure, it could eventually lower demand for oil in the US, but given the unlikelihood of this having much of an impact on consumer oil consumption - i.e. gas stations, as I imagine it would be very expensive to switch that sort of infrastructure - and other 3rd-world counrties coming online and increasing their oil consumption.......I just can't see much of a lowering in the demand for oil, and thus its price.

And by all accounts, natural gas is only a transition fuel in itself - assuming production continues to increase, even the US only has enough reserves for perhaps the next 80 to 100 years of production as I understand. So in no way does it seem to be any more than a short-term transition fuel, from oil to whatever comes afterward - renewable/nuclear I assume?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2012, 09:24 AM

If we don't have fusion in 100 years I want a refund.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2012, 10:14 AM

From who?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2012, 10:27 AM

The New World Order.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You're talking about natural gas, aren't you? The US has massive natural gas resources that should be able to be accessed by techniques such as fracking - assuming we can solve the current problems with fracking (such as minor earthquakes and contamination of groundwater, although at least some of that seems to be company-specific incompetence/negligence), and we don't find any other side effects that turn out to be any more serious.
Having said that, there's a huge difference between oil and natural gas - it's a different energy source with its own set of problems, not the least of which is "it isn't oil": there will be a not-inexpensive transition process to have energy users switch from oil to natural gas. So sure, it could eventually lower demand for oil in the US, but given the unlikelihood of this having much of an impact on consumer oil consumption - i.e. gas stations, as I imagine it would be very expensive to switch that sort of infrastructure - and other 3rd-world counrties coming online and increasing their oil consumption.......I just can't see much of a lowering in the demand for oil, and thus its price.
And by all accounts, natural gas is only a transition fuel in itself - assuming production continues to increase, even the US only has enough reserves for perhaps the next 80 to 100 years of production as I understand. So in no way does it seem to be any more than a short-term transition fuel, from oil to whatever comes afterward - renewable/nuclear I assume?
I'm talking primarily about oil and how fracking and horizontal drilling is transforming Kansas through new oil extraction for example, but yes -- a wealth of natural gas can also be produced by these techniques.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules