Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > MacNN Voting Poll

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Poll Options:
Bush 25 votes (25.77%)
Kerry 63 votes (64.95%)
Nader 2 votes (2.06%)
"Other" 4 votes (4.12%)
Didn't vote 3 votes (3.09%)
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll
MacNN Voting Poll
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:10 PM

Don't post until you actually vote.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2004, 11:15 PM

and here come all the Europeans and Canadians who will, no doubt, vote in this poll.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shmerek
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:19 PM

Blame Canada!!

shmerek
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:41 PM

Damn that Nader he is stealing votes from Kerry!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 12:25 AM

If Bush wins, I'll remember to send Nader a nice fruit basket.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:15 AM

While I am not American to be fair I did choose Nader. Just so the other vote wouldn't be lonely.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 08:59 AM

I just got back from voting. I went at 6:00AM (which is when the polls opened), but I still had to stand in line for about half an hour. Then they said that my signature didn't look enough like the signature they had on file, so I showed them ID. Then I and a couple other people had to wait because the poll workers thought we needed a different kind of ballot (that turned out not to be the case). The poll workers didn't seem to be on top of things, but I did get to vote.

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 09:22 AM

I showed up at the polls here in Cleveland at 6:20. They opened promptly at 6:30. I was eighth in line at my precinct (they split up our ward by precinct so the lines are shorter). Signed my name. Punched some holes. Almost dropped my ballot in the box without the jacket cover thingy (!). Went home and ate breakfast and now I'm at work.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:00 PM

I voted Kerry by absentee ballot.

On the other hand, I voted against Thor Anderson for whatever post he was running for. I figured it would be dangerous having someone with such a powerful name in public office.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I voted Kerry by absentee ballot.

On the other hand, I voted against Thor Anderson for whatever post he was running for. I figured it would be dangerous having someone with such a powerful name in public office.
If I were you, I wouldn't go outside during any thuderstorms for a while.
- Thomas Paine

scadboy
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 12:18 PM

I arrived at my polling place at 6am, an hour before it was sheduled to open, to find a group of ten or so people already in line. No biggie, so I got in line and chit-chatted with my fellow citizens, and by the time the polls opened, the line was stretched around the side of the building.

Strangely, everyone ahead of me got log-jammed in the "A-K" registration line, and being the first "L-Z" I got to cast my vote first in my district! woo hoo. Somehow, I feel like my vote should be weighted since I was first, but that's probably not how they do it.

Oh, and I voted for Kerry, pretty much a straight party ticket, except Sheriff, since I worked on the Republican candidate's campaign, and cuz he's had the job for 100 years and everybody loves him.

woo democracy!

-michael

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 12:22 PM

Voted bright and early at 7:00am. Waited about 15 minutes. When I left, the line was 3 times longer than when I came. Good sign.

Kind of an empty feeling voting electronically though. No receipt, no verification that my vote has gone through.

Call me an Ageist but I'm a little skittish about Seniors handling these sophisticated electronic voting machines. I have a feeling if we followed them home all their VCR's would be blinking 12:00...12:00....12:00....
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Call me an Ageist but I'm a little skittish about Seniors handling these sophisticated electronic voting machines. I have a feeling if we followed them home all their VCR's would be blinking 12:00...12:00....12:00....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 12:36 PM

What are these "VCRs" you speak of?
- Thomas Paine

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
What are these "VCRs" you speak of?
LOL. Exactly.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:58 PM

At my polling place they could get assistance from a poll worker. But I'm not sure every polling station is as well staffed as mine was (hopefully they generally have more parking though). But I'd imagine they would have more trouble with the old paper punch ballets, seeing those little holes/numbers might be tough with old eyes.

A woman left my polling place still carrying her electronic voting card. Ooops.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:07 PM

went at 10:30 or so. short line. scantron style ballot. a bunch of plastic standups on a table to ensure privacy while filling it out. it looked like a "DM screen" (for you geeks out there), or a "trapper keeper" binder you would use to guard your test answers in middle school.

line went quick. voted kerry.

weird thing, and maybe someone can help me here, noone asked to see any form of ID. they trusted that i was who i said i was.

which led me to think: go around my neighborhood and find all the yards with bush signs on their front yard, search their name, and beat them to the polls.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
weird thing, and maybe someone can help me here, noone asked to see any form of ID. they trusted that i was who i said i was.
wow.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:17 PM

I also wasn't asked for ID, but the girl in front of me was. I think only first time voters in my county have to show ID.
( Last edited by itai195; Nov 2, 2004 at 01:29 PM. )

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:19 PM

In Washington State, it's against the law to ask for any voter who has voted in WA before for photo ID. First time voters can be verified by photo ID, but not otherwise.

ImpulseResponse

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:19 PM

Registered and voted this morning at 7:30. Took about an hour, and it was pretty painless. Quick form to get registered, simple fill-in-the-oval ballot, and I was done.

One old lady wheeled up to me and asked me if I was for or against the president. I shrugged and walked away. I don't think she is allowed to do that, but whatever.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:23 PM

That's really weird. Here on Iceland and in Sweden you aren't able to vote unless you provide an ID.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 01:42 PM

I many states ID is not required. Your signature is your ID.

finboy
Nov 2, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I{n} many states ID is not required. Your signature is your ID.
That's scary as hell.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 01:46 PM

I voted at about 10am. They had a van going continuously between the voting place and our school so I was able to hitch a ride which made life easier. When I got there, my name was on the list of registered voters, but since I'm in a different dorm room I had to re-register. Rather stupid since my actual address is the same, but whatever. We were forced to use red ink, which I found odd.

The entire process took me about 20 min, and half that was filling out the registration, and half of the other half was riding in the van. Piece of cake.

I was surprised at just how many candidates for president are on the MN ballot. I didn't even know who most of them were which I guess makes me a not-so-informed voter. I knew who was getting my vote for that one anyway. Most of the other positions I was ill-informed about only had one candidate for each so I just circled them in.

So, +1 for Kerry. I was the 276th voter at that location today.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
That's really weird. Here on Iceland and in Sweden you aren't able to vote unless you provide an ID.

Do you have a national ID system?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 01:48 PM

Here, you have to sign the vote book, next to a photo copy of your signature from the voter registration card, they then compare the signatures, but don't ask for ID. better than nothing, but probably not the best method.
Nemo me impune lacesset

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I also wasn't asked for ID, but the girl in front of me was. I think only first time voters in my county have to show ID.
thats what ive gathered in conversations with my peers since i went to the polling place this am (uh, i talked to some dudes on IM).

but i have a young friend whos 19, and she didnt get asked to show ID.

no signature comparisons either. pretty much no method of verifying who i am other than i said i was who i said i was, and my name was in the book.

oh. and i think i was number 0485 at around 1030, which is a good thing.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Do you have a national ID system?
Sort of. We don't have any special ID cards(anymore at least, I think) but any debit card, passport, etc will do since those aren't issued unless it's absolutely certain that you are who you claim you are. They are compared to the national register etc etc.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 01:53 PM

but i have a young friend whos 19, and she didnt get asked to show ID.
She may have voted in the primary. I was caught off guard that I didn't have to show ID the first time I voted at a polling place a few years ago, because all my previous voting had been done absentee. I absolutely agree that voters should have to show ID. It seems like a pretty obvious requirement to me!

Geezus_Aach
Nov 2, 2004, 01:53 PM

I VOTED!
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
That's scary as hell.
It is, but a lot of people (certainly not a majority or anywhere close) don't have photo ID's. If you don't drive, you generally don't need one. Given that, how do you require photo ID when you know part of your electorate does not have them?

Do you require them? Well, that's pretty close to a national ID, and a lot of people are vehemently against that. So what do you do?

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by boots:
It is, but a lot of people (certainly not a majority or anywhere close) don't have photo ID's. If you don't drive, you generally don't need one. Given that, how do you require photo ID when you know part of your electorate does not have them?

Do you require them? Well, that's pretty close to a national ID, and a lot of people are vehemently against that. So what do you do?
Really? I thought that most people without driver's licenses had state IDs. Can you really go through life (getting a job, a place of residence, etc) without any photo identification?

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Really? I thought that most people without driver's licenses had state IDs. Can you really go through life (getting a job, a place of residence, etc) without any photo identification?
Yes. All you need is a social security number for employment, etc. One could argue that we do have a national ID system, it just isn't a photo ID.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 02:34 PM

Performed my civic duty about three hours ago. I got to there about 7:05AM and the line had about 10 people, plus the seven or so that were already voting. It wasn't my first time voting, so I was not asked to show an ID. All in all, a good 20-30 minutes well spent.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2004, 03:12 PM

In NY, you can get a "Non-driver ID" from the Department of Motor Vehicles. It looks just like a driver's license, but says Non-driver ID across the top. You can also go to your county Sheriff's office and get a Sheriff's ID.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 03:14 PM

Showed up at 6:30 am only to find a 100 yard long line of people waiting... Seemed a fair mix between both parties. Waited... waited... waited...

Did the electronic thing and went to work late.

Good thing my boss is cool!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 03:15 PM

Side Note: I didn't need a photo ID to vote... just a voter registration card (and the ability to say my address from from memory)

finboy
Nov 2, 2004, 03:15 PM

Yes. All you need is a social security number for employment, etc. One could argue that we do have a national ID system, it just isn't a photo ID.
That isn't true, really. I've always needed proof of who I was for employment.

And I've ALWAYS been required to show photo ID when voting. Each state has a provision to provide people with a photo ID whether or not they drive. How do folks without a photo ID get on a plane these days?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 03:17 PM

Early voted last week. It took my wife and me a whopping 6 minutes.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:21 PM

That isn't true, really. I've always needed proof of who I was for employment.

And I've ALWAYS been required to show photo ID when voting. Each state has a provision to provide people with a photo ID whether or not they drive. How do folks without a photo ID get on a plane these days?
They don't. Air travel is a privilege, not a right. And it is illegal in many, if not most, states to require an ID (aside from signature) for registered voters. One can register with three, I think, forms of non-photo ID or one photo ID and one non-photo ID.

Birth certificates, social security cards, and bills sent to current mailing address are sufficient for establishing ID (there are others also). Same is true for employment. It's easier if you have a photo ID since you need fewer pieces of ID, but you can still do it without one.

Each state can issue state ID's, but they aren't mandatory.

(I know all this because of my work with the homeless. Establishing ID is a real problem, but can be done without a Photo ID.)

Atomic Rooster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:33 PM

and here come all the Europeans and Canadians who will, no doubt, vote in this poll.
Many are dual citizens. Good for them. I'm a dual Americanadian.

It's good to see this much enthusiasm.

Funny how you would think everyone who doesn't live in the USA but has a right to vote would be voting against Bush. This is the message Im getting from you.

You are a very sad man indeed if you are a man...

finboy
Nov 2, 2004, 03:37 PM

They don't. Air travel is a privilege, not a right. And it is illegal in many, if not most, states to require an ID (aside from signature) for registered voters. One can register with three, I think, forms of non-photo ID or one photo ID and one non-photo ID.

Right, so you can vote with your "voter ID card" that is sent to you. Unless it's sent to some other address or something. Or you lose it.

If I have to show positive ID to open a bank account, shouldn't I be required to show positive ID to vote? Really really scary.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:41 PM

Results so far seem to support what many have said here - that MacNN Political Forum is ~30-40% Republican. Glad to see many are voting (in real life) either way. I bet that the turnout turns out to be ~60-65% this year. In VA, there are predicting 80%!!! This election apparently means A LOT to many people. Took my wife and I about 10 minutes. We were in the A-C group and there was only 1 other person in line there. The R-T line was looong. A lot of Shifletts in VA. No joke. The white pages literally has about 50 pages of them.

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 03:50 PM

Right, so you can vote with your "voter ID card" that is sent to you. Unless it's sent to some other address or something. Or you lose it.

If I have to show positive ID to open a bank account, shouldn't I be required to show positive ID to vote? Really really scary.
I'm not disagreeing that its scary. But opening a bank account is not a guaranteed right. Voting is. So I'm not sure how to fix that scary part. Again, positive ID is three forms of non-photo ID, so it isn't that hard to fake that either.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 03:50 PM

Your comment made me smile.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 03:51 PM

I joyfully volunteered my Photo ID along with my voter registration card, and didn't notice if they were asking anybody else for theirs, but it was posted "You will not be allowed to vote without a valid photo id" on the door.

-michael

very funny boots, fixed
( Last edited by scadboy; Nov 2, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by scadboy:
I joyfully volunteered my Photo ID along with my voter registration card, and didn't notice if they were asking anybody else for theirs, but it was posted "You will not be allowed to vote with a valid photo id" on the door.

-michael
Heh. So they let you vote even though you showed your ID?

(elections are state run, so each state can be and probably is different)

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 04:36 PM

Birth certificates, social security cards, and bills sent to current mailing address are sufficient for establishing ID (there are others also). Same is true for employment. It's easier if you have a photo ID since you need fewer pieces of ID, but you can still do it without one.

Each state can issue state ID's, but they aren't mandatory.

(I know all this because of my work with the homeless. Establishing ID is a real problem, but can be done without a Photo ID.)
I'm surprised that our more conservative friends wouldn't have a wariness towards elaborate identification requirements - requiring ID is very statist, after all.

In the course of my work I've become increasingly exposed to different cultures, not always by choice. Many of the things that white mainstream culture takes for granted - like driver's licenses, bank accounts, and permanent addresses - simply aren't a part of some other people's life experiences or vocabularies. A lot of people never "get on an airplane." And I'm not talking about the homeless, or felons - I'm talking about working, law-abiding citizens. I understand the desire to make sure voters are who they say they are, but assuming that everyone carries photo ID is a bit off.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Many are dual citizens. Good for them. I'm a dual Americanadian.

It's good to see this much enthusiasm.

Funny how you would think everyone who doesn't live in the USA but has a right to vote would be voting against Bush. This is the message Im getting from you.

You are a very sad man indeed if you are a man...
I was thinking you're a pathetic excuse for a vertebrate... but, then I realized, you're liberal and likely have no spine.

"Many" are dual citizens? Funny. I doubt that, very seriously. Most who are supporting Kerry, here on MacNN, are foreigners (not citizens of the US). For those that actually live in the US, and can vote, I'm sure the poll would be split almost 50-50.

Oh well, this is as close as the CanadiEuros on MacNN will ever get to voting in this election, they should just dive right in.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules