Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The way the Bible should be sold! (Picture)

The way the Bible should be sold! (Picture)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 07:32 AM

Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 07:47 AM

PREDICTION: This thread is going to go well.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 08:03 AM

its like splashing gas on a smolding fire pit. Im sure it will flare up not the orginal intentions of course, I posted it because I thought this was just TOOOO FUNNY not to post

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
PREDICTION: This thread is going to go well.
With biblical proportions.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
its like splashing gas on a smolding fire pit. Im sure it will flare up not the orginal intentions of course, I posted it because I thought this was just TOOOO FUNNY not to post
Dood, it may be "TOOOO FUNNY" to you but it is offensive to a lot of people, myself included. And I'm an atheist.

**Why do you feel it necessary to constantly attack and criticize other people's religions?
**For some people religion is very important, for others--myself included--it is not.
**For some people religion is a vehicle for peace, for others it is a tool for violence.
**You're "problem" with religion ought to be with those who practice it and not the idea of religion itself.

for you.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Dood, it may be "TOOOO FUNNY" to you but it is offensive to a lot of people, myself included. And I'm an atheist.

**Why do you feel it necessary to constantly attack and criticize other people's religions?
**For some people religion is very important, for others--myself included--it is not.
**For some people religion is a vehicle for peace, for others it is a tool for violence.
**You're "problem" with religion ought to be with those who practice it and not the idea of religion itself.

for you.
The only part on that label that might be or might not be true is the part about the fiction. The rest of it except for the long term effects part, the the warning about what it contains is 100% true. It is violent and so on. And I wasent intending to attach any religion, I saw it thought it was funny and posted it. So get over it already. And no my problem is with religion and not those that believe in God. I feel GOD and religion are 2 totally different things. I don't have any problems with any one who believes in GOD.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 10:28 AM

what is the idea of religion?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
what is the idea of religion?
Religion is both an idea and a concept that is almost universal to every culture on Earth. What differs is the implementation of the ideas, and even then I don't think the difference are that great. I would define the idea of religion as a person or culture's world view that includes the beliefs in some higher power/force greater than that of the individual or the collective identity.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 11:02 AM

That warning should go on on every thread Athens starts...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 05:00 PM

My Jedism is mocked by Christians

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 06:01 PM

Well athens, I have lost what little respect I had for you. You are open game now. For your sake, you better hope hope you never make a mistake because I will pounce on ever factual error you make.

Mocking a person's belief base is about the worst thing you can do. It's pathetic.

You are pathetic.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 06:06 PM

Lastly, if this thread is not locked soon and athens is not banned for posting the picture, I will have to assume that the administrators and moderators agree with this kind of posting to be acceptable. If that is true, then this place has truly become a wasteland filled with the unintelligent and the intolerant.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 6, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Well athens, I have lost what little respect I had for you. You are open game now. For your sake, you better hope hope you never make a mistake because I will pounce on ever factual error you make.

Mocking a person's belief base is about the worst thing you can do. It's pathetic.

You are pathetic.
What's with all the name calling?

How do you not get banned?

RonnieoftheRose
Aug 6, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Lastly, if this thread is not locked soon and athens is not banned for posting the picture, I will have to assume that the administrators and moderators agree with this kind of posting to be acceptable. If that is true, then this place has truly become a wasteland filled with the unintelligent and the intolerant.
What a cry baby, crying for satirical material to be banned.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 06:18 PM

paging kevin: a religious discussion in the politics lounge

paging kevin: there is no explicit homosexual content in this thread, so it may not interest you

Atomic Rooster
Aug 6, 2005, 06:19 PM

railrod guy whines a lot.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 06:23 PM

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 06:32 PM

People argue and complain to each other about everything in here, but isn't it interesting that when someone posts a silly picture critical of religion, some people see it as some kind of oppression. How many times have people posted critical things about others' political beliefs?

Yet religion is somehow sacred?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2005, 06:33 PM

Notice:

There are a lot of threads whose opening opinion is one that MacNN.com and its moderators and administrators do not agree with.

That does not mean we close everything we find repulsive- our practice is to be light-handed rather than heavy, and that letting offensive threads remain open is often a means for folks who disagree vehemently to reject such wrong-headed opinions.

That said, folks shouldn't make it a practice to be knowingly offensive under the guise of "TOO FUNNY!!!!111" - it is a thin disguise.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

RonnieoftheRose
Aug 6, 2005, 06:38 PM

And most importantly the internet is not a place where would be Ayatollahs think they can go around banning material.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 6, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Notice:

There are a lot of threads whose opening opinion is one that MacNN.com and its moderators and administrators do not agree with.

That does not mean we close everything we find repulsive- our practice is to be light-handed rather than heavy, and that letting offensive threads remain open is often a means for folks who disagree vehemently to reject such wrong-headed opinions.

That said, folks shouldn't make it a practice to be knowingly offensive under the guise of "TOO FUNNY!!!!111" - it is a thin disguise.
Everything on that label is true.

I went to a catholic grade school and I still have nightmares decades later.

Added later...

Those nuns liked to scare the crap out of us with all the stories about burning in HELL from the bible...and dressed in their habits they looked more evil than holy.
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Aug 6, 2005 at 06:56 PM. )

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 06:52 PM

given the number of wars fought over religion is it not a bad thing to close down open discussion on it? That allowing criticism, satire and, indeed, out-right mocking is heathly for any belief that plays such a role in people's lives. If we are to come down on what we can and can't say about religion, who decides this? At what point do we accept discussion on these issues? Whose interpretation do we listen to? The version we want, the one that suits our purpose?

If we listen to the version that suits our (or someone else's) purpose and the prevailing attitude of society, be it social, "legal" or both is to accept it without question, what protection do we have from those who wish to exploit it, if free discussion is closed down on it?

Are the freedoms that we have today, the result of the divorce of religion from the state? That the decisions made by those in power have to be justified by reason and can't be excused under a blanket of "divine right".

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
What's with all the name calling?

How do you not get banned?

Ahhh... the stalker shows himself. How's that for name calling?

Where did I call anyone a name in that post? Do you speak English as a 2nd language? If you do, then I will forgive it this time.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
railrod guy whines a lot.
Stalker. Fanboi. You are a pure idiot. One of the simplest persons I have ever met.

QUIT FOLLOWING ME AROUND AND POSTING IDIOT RESPONSES!!!

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 07:07 PM

I see the OP is very confident in their choice of beliefs or non-beliefs, after all they're most certainly not bashing others' beliefs.. are they?
Aloha

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 07:20 PM

I think that if Athens can post whatever pictures he wants to then the rest of us can do the same.

Athens, I have to say that, overall, I liked you. But why make fun of a Bible?

Big

Since you're posting pictures of the Bible, ridiculing faith and God which some of us find disturbing, maybe we should discuss what cancer does to a woman's breasts?

I'll post my own picture of that - great topic - remember those who have died as the result of cancer. Makes you think that believing in God is a good thing. I do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules