Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 19 and thinning hair

19 and thinning hair
rbradley89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2009, 11:07 AM

This does not seem to be the place to post this but I looked on google and someone else has a similiar topic.

Here is my hair :

am I going bald ?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 11:10 AM

It can happen. One of my old teachers said once that he started losing his hair when he was a senior in high school.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

Yup, been there.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:11 PM

You don't need hair to have fun!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2009, 12:28 PM

Shave it off and pretend you're doing that because you think it looks cool.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Or because you are from the future.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Or because you are from the future.
Or because you're Billy Corgan.

Don't shave if your head sweats a lot. Chicks don't like having sweat dripped all over them.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:31 PM

Check with a doc just to make sure it's not something health related. Other than that, just learn to embrace it and please don't try to disguise your baldness (e.g. the comb-over). I've been shaving my head since I was in my 20's. (All men in my family go bald...)

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Or because you're Billy Corgan.

Don't shave if your head sweats a lot. Chicks don't like having sweat dripped all over them.
Ewwwww.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Check with a doc just to make sure it's not something health related. Other than that, just learn to embrace it and please don't try to disguise your baldness (e.g. the comb-over). I've been shaving my head since I was in my 20's. (All men in my family go bald...)
I've always heard that baldness is determined by the mother's genes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 12:47 PM

I wonder if anyone has any products for sale that they might recommend for baldness? A new poster perhaps?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 12:49 PM

Eh, I know a young bald dude who always wears hats, and people usually know him for years before they realize he doesn't have hair. So comb-overs are terrible, but a hat might be a decent way to disguise it if you're not ready to be a bald person yet.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:52 PM

Not in my family.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, I know a young bald dude who always wears hats, and people usually know him for years before they realize he doesn't have hair. So comb-overs are terrible, but a hat might be a decent way to disguise it if you're not ready to be a bald person yet.
Not a bad solution... but probably not too practical. Don't know how many workplaces will allow you to wear a hat. Also, for those of us living in tropical climates, hats are too hot.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2009, 01:45 PM

Not a bad solution... but probably not too practical. Don't know how many workplaces will allow you to wear a hat. Also, for those of us living in tropical climates, hats are too hot.
Yes, they're hot, but they beat a sunburned head. I haven't given in and shaved it yet, but it's very thin on the top and sunburns if I'm not careful.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 02:04 PM

Could be worse. My wife went all gray by the time she was a Senior in high school.
One the supervisors where I work does this.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

Not in my family.
I'm glad that your family defies genetics. From what I understand, being a carrier for a certain gene doesn't mean you're subject to it - a woman can carry the Male Pattern Baldness gene without being bald. If your mother, your dad's mother, etc. all carry it, it could appear that male baldness runs in your family.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 02:19 PM

A change in testosterone or certain chemicals in your blood can cause hair thinning , especially in women and men that are too young - check with your doctor - there may be a pill.

Also rogane works well with that specific kind of thinning.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 02:19 PM

Not in my family.
Yes it does.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Thorzdad
Aug 17, 2009, 02:29 PM

I had a friend in high school who was completely bald by his senior year. Just a bad roll of the genetic dice.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2009, 03:10 PM

I know a couple people who use meds and it works well for them.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Yes, they're hot, but they beat a sunburned head. I haven't given in and shaved it yet, but it's very thin on the top and sunburns if I'm not careful.
I just use sunscreen.

I'm glad that your family defies genetics. From what I understand, being a carrier for a certain gene doesn't mean you're subject to it - a woman can carry the Male Pattern Baldness gene without being bald. If your mother, your dad's mother, etc. all carry it, it could appear that male baldness runs in your family.
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yes it does.
I can only go by observation. In my extended family men are significantly more likely to go bald on my father's side than my mother's.

OreoCookie
Aug 17, 2009, 04:42 PM

There is nothing you can do. Of course, manufacturers of Rogane and Propecia will tell you otherwise. But I'd just accept fate. Look at the males in your family and find out what you can expect. I'm losing hair from the opposite direction, but I know that at one point, I will shave. I think I'm doing quite well (compared to my father at least) and my brother also stopped making fun of me a while ago … now he's just saying `at least it's not as bad as your hair!'
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 04:56 PM

I can only go by observation. In my extended family men are significantly more likely to go bald on my father's side than my mother's.
So the women on your father's side carry the Male Pattern Baldness gene.

Sealobo
Aug 17, 2009, 07:47 PM

go have your kidneys checked out.

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 17, 2009, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
go have your kidneys checked out.
kidneys?

Sealobo
Aug 18, 2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
kidneys?
yes... the kidneys support the hair and the wand. If your kidneys had problem, your hair wilt and your dick malfunctions. no kidding.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 06:23 AM

Try Ron Popeil's GLH-9 Hair in a Can Spray:

http://www.ronco.com/rco_prodinfo.as...1&active=acsry

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2009, 07:33 AM

I just use sunscreen.
I haven't fully shaved it yet, so sunscreen isn't really an option. I still have enough coverage that kept to less than 3/8-1/2", it looks fine.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 11:05 PM

Just shave it all off now - then people will get used to with it gone before your hair decides for you.

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 19, 2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
yes... the kidneys support the hair and the wand. If your kidneys had problem, your hair wilt and your dick malfunctions. no kidding.
WHOA
( Last edited by kikkoman; Aug 19, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: sp)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2009, 04:50 PM

My maternal grandfather and uncle have full coverage. My paternal grandfather, 3 out of 4 uncles, and 9 out of 10 cousins have full coverage. Only one uncle and his son are significantly thin. I don't think I'm as secure as my brother and father though...I think I might be losing a bit.

My question is whether or not my chances are very, very small or just mostly random.

Regardless, when it comes to it, I'm just going with a #2 guard all-over. Not shaved to the skin...just nice and clean.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 05:17 PM

Pretty much every time this topic comes up, in one form or another, the basic response from everyone seems to be shave it all off- who cares?

Well I'm standing up for those of us that do. I'm rapidly thinning and a hate it. I'm currently a month and a half or so into rogaine- no results I can see thus far and while I'm not optimistic, they say it takes at least two months to see any results, so I'm hopeful. I do have short hair, sometimes shaved, but I'm not happy about it. I would never resort to comb-overs or a rug, but if I had the (shockingly large amount) of spare cash, I would consider a transplant- the new ones look very, very good- no more doll hair.

I don't think I'm unusually vain- I just used to have cool hair. I liked wearing it long- I thought it suited me. But I'd just look like Ben Franklin if I did that now.

Anyway, it doesn't cause me daily pain, I'm not depressed by it- I'll be just fine bald. It's just something I would change about myself if I could. Some people would like to loose weight, buff up, get a nose job, or even do something small like dye their hair, get a piercing or a tattoo. I just want my hair back.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2009, 08:09 PM

It easy for those without hair to give advice about how unimportant it is. Those are the ones who have already accepted their fate.

Enjoy your hair while you have it... if you are a man. It is inevitable that you will lose it if your genes get their way. You can try fighting it, but most have limited cash.

As a 40 year-old with a receding (receded?) hair line, I am happy I am not bald or balding. I seem to have most of it on top, it's just my increasing forehead that is most noticeable.

One thing that really helps is being married. Your self-image is easier to hold high if you are not trying to find a woman who is distracted by your lack of coverage up top.

A friend went Jean-Luc Picard-bald at 17. The benefit was that he was never carded for alcohol from 18 to 21 (or after).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2009, 08:58 PM

I'm in my late 20s. Last year I saw some minor thinning that I wasn't happy about and looked online to see if there were highly rated non-prescription remedies worth trying. I came across Procerin, which I found to be the highest rated non-Rx option around.

I've been nursing for around a year what was supposed to be a one month supply, so obviously I haven't been taking it that regularly. But based on what I've seen, I think I can say with confidence that my thinning has been arrested and maybe even reversed. I don't know what the genetic cards have in store for me - there's some thinning in my family but not a substantial amount. I do know that I put myself under more stress than I should so that doesn't help things. For now I'll hope for the best and continue with Procerin.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I've been nursing for around a year what was supposed to be a one month supply, so obviously I haven't been taking it that regularly. But based on what I've seen, I think I can say with confidence that my thinning has been arrested and maybe even reversed. I don't know what the genetic cards have in store for me - there's some thinning in my family but not a substantial amount. I do know that I put myself under more stress than I should so that doesn't help things. For now I'll hope for the best and continue with Procerin.
My thinning has been going on for years. It's difficult to tell over the span of six months or a year whether it has worsened (in my case, at least). Secondly, I can significantly alter the appearance of thinning by controlling the length of my hair. The thinning is much less obvious when my hair is shorter than 3/4".

Forum Links
Forum Rules