Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery management running PowerBook with an external monitor

battery management running PowerBook with an external monitor
mfox
Dec 6, 2006, 08:42 AM

I recently began using my 15" PowerBook G4/1.33 in a desktop-like mode by connecting it to a 20" Dell monitor and running the two monitors in non-mirroring mode. When the PB is not in use, I close the lid and put it to sleep; the Dell monitor goes to sleep at the same time. My question concerns the battery and how to keep it in good shape. Should I be running the PB plugged in when connected to the monitor or let the battery run down and recharge it? When the PB is asleep, should I have it plugged in or not? For the most part, my PB will be used in this mode as I only use its portability when I travel or occasionally to do some emailing in another room.

ibook_steve
Dec 6, 2006, 03:06 PM

If it's just sitting there most of the time, why wouldn't you just have it plugged in all the time? There's no need to baby it like this. Just use it in whatever mode works best for you.

Steve

mfox  (op)
Dec 6, 2006, 04:36 PM

The reason I don't have it plugged in all the time is I'm concerned that it will harm the battery. I do depend on the battery when I travel and I've heard that you can degrade the battery by overcharging it. I have also heard that it degrades the battery if you constantly recharge it when much of its capacity remains.

ibook_steve
Dec 6, 2006, 05:09 PM

No. Battery technology and control has progressed way beyond these concerns. Search the forums for more info, but suffice it to say, leaving it plugged in all the time doesn't hurt anything. When the battery is topped off, charging stops with only a trickle charge to keep the battery at full.

Steve

mfox  (op)
Dec 6, 2006, 05:26 PM

I knew about the trickle-charge, but does the trickle-charge stop adding charge when the battery is 100% at capacity? If not, even a slow charge could build up if left for several days, could it not?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 03:49 AM

Steve knows what he's talking about. Follow his advice and use your PB the way you want. If you want to really get the most out of your battery you can unplug it from time to time and run the battery completely down and then recharge it. Other than that, just go ahead and use your PB the way it suits you best.

ibook_steve
Dec 7, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mfox View Post
I knew about the trickle-charge, but does the trickle-charge stop adding charge when the battery is 100% at capacity? If not, even a slow charge could build up if left for several days, could it not?
A trickle charge is just that: a trickle of charge to keep the battery full if it drops a little, as opposed to a full charge when the battery is down several percentage points (less than about 95%). I'm not sure what you mean by "build up." If you are thinking of the memory effect on NiCd batteries, this is not an issue because Apple batteries are not NiCd and haven't been for ages (if ever, maybe). Just use it however you want.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules