Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight: Desperate Call for Help

iSight: Desperate Call for Help
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2007, 01:42 PM

Short version:

I have a G5 Mac in MN. My sister has an iMac (first version of the new models in IL). My mother has an intel iMac in another city in IL. Neither of us can use our iSight without the connection breaking up. We all have different high speed cable connections, but regardless of who sets up an isight link with who, the connection breaks after about 10 seconds where the video pixelates and the sound quality breaks up.

We originally thought it was my mothers computer which is what we have been trouble-shooting for the past 2 weeks. She has brought it into the apple store three (3) times and they can't figure it out. They installed a new video card for her which didn't do a thing. She has called her ISP and there is more than enough bandwidth pumping through to support video and chat conversations.

My mother and sister have even brought their computers to eachothers houses to try eachothers ISP's and we get the same result.

I don't know where to turn anymore. I've tried AppleCare. I've tried the Apple store. I've tried our ISP's. Nobody can help us. Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Can anyone give me any ideas on further trouble-shooting or to get some kind of solution?

I would *really* appreciate any assistance.

Cold Warrior
Jul 25, 2007, 01:54 PM

If you're using iChat, try using Skype. iChat sucked for me; Skype works great. (I have a MBP C2D.)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 02:13 PM

What kind of routers are you using on both ends?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2007, 11:34 PM

I do have skype which I've used for audio and video convos before with another friend, but will always use iChat if the recipient also has a Mac.

On routers, I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme base station, my sister doesn't have a router (direct connect), and my mother is using a 2wire router.

I'll be going down to visit my parents this weekend, so I'll have more to report when I get back sunday night.

Forum Links
Forum Rules