Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo 4

Halo 4
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2012, 01:34 AM

Well it'll be soon enough before this game invades our consoles and so here's a ton of info regarding the game. It's got me pretty pumped up. Looks like 343 is definitely taking fan feedback serously and are implementing a lot of their suggestions into it. Important changes in bold.

New campaign and multiplayer info regarding Halo 4 (Courtesy of TrueAchievements.com)

Halo 4 is set in the year 2557, exactly four years, seven months and ten days after the events of Halo 3. However, new enemies also threaten the galaxy and the new trilogy looks set to explore the mysterious Forerunner race.
The Forerunners are this ancient, long-vanished civilization that was responsible for what was effectively the biggest atrocity in the history of the galaxy, which was the wiping out of all sentient life in order to save it. Forerunners had contact with humanity and, in fact, war with humanity more than a hundred thousand years ago. The Forerunners defeated the humans, and then subjugated them by using a process of devolution. Basically, bombing them back into the Stone Age. Some of that will just be backstory, and some of it will have really direct connotations.
Master Chief and Cortana find themselves many miles away from familiar territory. They are in a world of unexplored land. One of the new territories are shield worlds. As O'Connor explains again, "a shield world is an artificial planet that the Forerunners specifically used to try to take refuge from the Flood and other calamities like the Halo activation.” The planet is protected from the harmful effects of Halo weapons.
The cover hides an alien landscape. Forerunner buildings are both ruined and active here, providing new challenges for the player. Strange flora and fauna surround these buildings, but the most notable difference is the lack of sky. As the Requiem covers the planet, it shuts out the sky. Where the sky should be, players will see the inner shell of the Requiem complete with its supporting pillars. One thing that players need to be prepared for are new enemies. 343 are making a set of new enemy types with new weapons and equipment that will be discovered when reaching Requiem.

Meanwhile, how have our two main characters faired? We'll start with Cortana, a "smart" artificial intelligence who will be Master Chief's companion on his journey. She has a new form that she has chosen during her years waiting for Master Chief to wake up. Her very nature means that she can process enormous amounts of data, but this can also be a death sentence. After seven years, artificial intelligences can malfunction by falling into strange patterns of thought and eventually into madness; the end result is death. Halo 4 begins years after Cortana was last seen, so this is set to become a problem. Other factors may affect her deterioration too. The odd circumstances of her creation and her encounters with other strange intelligences, such as Gravemind and Forerunner AIs, may change her destiny. What is certain is that this game will explore the relationship between the pair.

As for Master Chief, there doesn't appear to be a lot of differences. During his years in his cryo-chamber, Cortana has rewritten the suit’s firmware. There is a new HUD for Master Chief with more visual cues. There is also a more subtle parallax movement during athletic actions. Despite this, the fighting sequences still feel like the Halo games of old. Enemies run about as they did before and the player still gets to act as a one-man killing machine.

The one new gameplay mechanic is that there will now be narrative focused scenes that are meant to offer exciting action outside of combat. Players retain control during these scenes, but they will cover moments such as Master Chief climbing a lift shaft with debris raining down upon him. Despite the solitary sounding nature of the campaign so far, players will still be able to play through the campaign in four-player co-op if they so choose.
Here's the multiplayer info

The multiplayer aspect of Halo 4 will not be the usual red vs. blue affair. This time, the multiplayer will have links to the storyline campaign. Players assume the role of new breed of UNSC military – the Spartan IV – the old Elites will not be playable in this game. The new Spartans are the result of the continued evolution of the super soldier program and they are drawn from the top ranks of existing special ops soldiers. They are deployed on UNSC Infinity, the largest vessel in human fleet. This vessel will directly cross Master Chief’s path in the campaign. The Spartans train for combat aboard the combat deck on Infinity, which can replicate any environment. The combat deck plays host to all multiplayer combat.
As players rank up they will unlock more armour abilities, weapons and modifications. Spartan Points are awarded and can be used to buy items for a more personalized loadout, which can be constructed around a gamer’s playstyle. There is a choice of primary weapon, secondary weapon, grenade type, armour ability and modifications. Not a lot was said about the modifications, but weapons include assault rifle, battle rifle, DMR, assault carbine, Covenant carbine, shotgun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle, magnum, plasma pistol. There are more to be announced, including new weapons. As for the special abilities, these include the familiar Hologram, Jetpack and Active Camo, as well as the new Forerunner Vision; this allows players to see through walls. Sprint is no longer a special ability and is available to use at all times.
Online multiplayer will support up to 16 players. Team Slayer will definitely be returning but there are currently no plans to include a "dedicated Firefight mode". One new game mode was on show though: Regicide. This is a variation on free-for-all. The leading player is labelled the king and the other players are tasked with killing him. The player who manages to kill the king gets the bounty. The king's bounty increases every time he/she kills another player.

There are several new multiplayer gameplay features. First, there is no delay on respawning once the player is dead; tapping X automatically respawns the player. Secondly, weapon drops are a new feature. Powerful weapons show up at random drop spots during the match, but the best weapons will not always spawn at the same points. One spawn point may produce a sniper rifle the first time and then spawn a rocket launcher the next. Meanwhile, the sniper rifle has spawned across the other side of the map. A new post game reward system gives out medals and Spartan points for all kinds of in-game actions, such as assists, revenge kills and even causing a distraction. There are now other ways to rank up than having a high kill count. The final new feature for now is the new matchmaking process that means that players can join matches in progress.
One notable addition is a new co-op mode called Spartan Ops. As creative director Josh Holmes describes the mode, “think of it as away missions from the UNSC Infinity”. All that 'multiplayer training' will come in handy as players use their multiplayer character for this mode. Up to four players work on an “evolving episodic campaign” that is comparable to the single player storyline. Each week players get access to a new CG film sequence that unfolds the story of the latest UNSC mission. The film chronicles the previous struggles of the Spartans in their previous conflicts. With each story component comes five objective-based co-op missions. Three missions will contain new content, such as unseen events, locations and challenges. Holmes describes how this new mode fits into the game:

"The events that are taking place within that weekly series are then crossing over with missions that are available for you and your friends to engage in as part of this ongoing story-driven co-operative experience online."

The difficulty of these missions can be tweaked to suit the players' experience covering Easy to Legendary difficulty just like the storyline campaign. The missions can also be replayed over and over. Just to clarify though, these missions will not be additional paid DLC content. This content will be part of the on-disc experience and will unfold over several months. The content will not expire either, so late adopters of the game will be able to catch up with the storyline and understand the content easily.
Here are some extra pics. Looks pretty sweet...

Initial thoughts...

- No dedicated firefight mode = bad move
- Those narrative focus action scenes will probably be cut scenes where you have to hit certain buttons during the action (i.e. Dragon's Lair)
- Immediate respawn is awesome, same with weapon drops and weapon spawning in different areas
- Finally we can join matches in progress!!!
- Interesting concept of having all of multiplayer revolve around only the Spartan IV soldiers aboard the UNSC Infinity ship.
- About time running isn't a special power.

That was a lot of info. What do ya'll think? Leonard, Stogie?
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:45 AM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2012, 03:05 PM

First, damn you beat me to creating this thread. I had thoughts about creating one, but didn't want to create one too early. On the other hand you probably did a better job then me on the initial post.

I like the idea that you can rank up by doing other things than killing people.

Not sure if I care for the random weapon spawns. How about going to just loadouts and unlocking or buying weapons and attachments, etc.

Nice to see they made sprint, standard. Basically this and a few other things are updating this franchise to where other franchises are.

Nice to hear there is a new enemy. This might be a good thing. After ten years of fighting the old enemy in slightly different variations, it's time for something new. New enemy, new weapons, new vehicles...

I see how they're trying to explain spartans fighting spartans as combat training on a "holodeck". Okkkk?!? Sorta Star-trekky but maybe it makes sense.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2012, 03:21 AM

As for the special abilities, these include the familiar Hologram, Jetpack and Active Camo, as well as the new Forerunner Vision; this allows players to see through walls. [b]Sprint is no longer a special ability and is available to use at all times.[b]
I noticed Armor Lock is missing from the abilities list. Good!

Spartan Ops looks intriguing. I hope they announce a Halo 4 beta at E3.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

I'll be curious to hear how longtime Halo fans accept 343s take on the series.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2012, 12:53 PM

I'll keep one eye on this game, but if they don't do anything with it besides re-package the same game from the early 2000s like they did with Reach, I'm not going to lose any sleep over not buying it.

In fact, the only reason I'm paying any attention at all, is the possibility of the new developers making the game different for the first time in 10 years.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2012, 04:11 PM

Yes, it's time for an overhaul after 10 years. Like I said we've been fighting the same enemy for 10 years. Time to start a new War with a new Enemy.

Oooh, that sounds like a marketing strategy/phrase!
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 04:53 PM

They should ADSing and proning.

*duck*

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2012, 09:25 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 AM

You might as well add Kinnect support so you can sing along and dance with Master Chief.

Amiright guys? Amiright?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 11:51 AM

I'll be very surprised if there isn't some type of kinect support.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 PM

I'm picturing teabagging a downed opponent taking on a whole new life with Kinect support.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2012, 01:18 PM

After hearing what you guys want to see for Kinect support, I'm wondering what the idiots are going to do with Kinect support. You always have someone abusing the new features. Just like the voice chat - you have kids doing karaoke over chat.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm picturing teabagging a downed opponent taking on a whole new life with Kinect support.
I would buy a Kinect just for this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 03:03 PM

Do not want those pics kinect takes of you while playing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 03:53 PM

Without a doubt our Halo 3 meetups (especially private matches) are some of my fondest gaming memories of the current gen. If H4 can somehow rekindle the fire without trying to outright duplicate the old games who knows, could end up being a lot of fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:01 PM

I suppose ADS could go a long way, but honestly I don't think I could get past the physics and map styles.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 04:12 PM

I'd rather they go the opposite way with things like ADS.

Modern online shooters are so serious at this point. I think the original Halos were fun because of how absurd the action was, they had a certain Goldeneye 64 quality to them. You could have battles and shootout and end up laughing the whole time.

They need to tighten up the physics and knock the lack of gravity down a few pegs. The inclusion of a run feature that isn't an class is a step in the right direction too. They need to make it more fast-paced in general without losing the Halo feel or the epic-ness of the maps. I don't think jamming the weapon into your nostrils would make Halo any more interesting to play.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:14 PM

My issue is non-ADSing feel lazy and inaccurate. An inability to ADS is similar to the inability to prone. Just kind of frustrating.I realize this can be a thoughtful feature of gameplay design, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I guess Borderlands did it right.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I guess Borderlands did it right.
That's my point, a game can let you 'fire from the hip' but still not lose any feeling of being in control of your shots. Borderlands is a perfect example.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:18 PM

There was still a noticeable drop off from ADSing, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 04:33 PM

I just think that having to constantly ADS slows the pace of gameplay down. In a series where it already feels like running in mud that might not be the best idea.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2012, 04:35 PM

What I find cool is what Matty showed me about the LMG in MW3. The LMGs in MW3 actually have a different accuracy when fired standing, crouching, and prone. The closer you are to prone the better the accuracy. Makes me love the LMGs now. I think BF3 did this somehwat with rifles that have bipods.

But what I really would like to see is a way to introduce vehicle combat without having people kill you over a vehicle. Maybe Homefront did that right. If you can buy it, it's yours.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:38 PM

You know what, I don't know what the solution is. Thinking about it, the most deadly weapon had to be ADSed (The BR followed by snipers) and all that resulted in was frustration as a bunch of 16 year-old aim-bots just rolled over everyone because their weapon system sucks and nothing else could compare at distance and the maps rarely let you get up close (at which point an AR was still a prayer).

In short, I have to repeat myself and say Halo is a tough sel. The aspects of it I enjoyed (Large maps and vehicles) flow better in Battlefield.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
But what I really would like to see is a way to introduce vehicle combat without having people kill you over a vehicle. Maybe Homefront did that right. If you can buy it, it's yours.
That's a friendly fire issue.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 04:46 PM

You know what, I don't know what the solution is. Thinking about it, the most deadly weapon had to be ADSed (The BR followed by snipers) and all that resulted in was frustration as a bunch of 16 year-old aim-bots just rolled over everyone because their weapon system sucks and nothing else could compare at distance and the maps rarely let you get up close (at which point an AR was still a prayer).

In short, I have to repeat myself and say Halo is a tough self. The aspects of it I enjoyed (Large maps and vehicles) are done far better in Battlefield.
Don't forget the BR was extremely deadly at non-ADSing range too, in fact, I'd say even deadlier.

I'm not trying to paint Halo as the best example of a modern shooter, but back in the day it was extremely fun to play. I hope they can capture the fun of the original, without simply making another CoD/BF3etc... clone.

Don't forget Reach is one of the only games I ever sold back. If Homefront didn't have such a broken party system I probably would've given that more effort too and ultimately if we all settled on BF3 from the beginning I probably would be playing that right now as well.

But..... all those games are so serious and rigid and brown and samey. Halo can be quite a spectacle at times, I like that sort of thing in games.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2012, 04:48 PM

I think the problem is the community. When I played HALO (the first one) on the Mac, it was alot of fun. There were less idiots or ***-holes (in fact most games didn't have any). When I play HALO 3 (or Reach) on the console, there's always someone who wants to screw with you (and not in a good way).
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 04:52 PM

Don't forget the BR was extremely deadly at non-ADSing range too, in fact, I'd say even deadlier.

I'm not trying to paint Halo as the best example of a modern shooter, but back in the day it was extremely fun to play. I hope they can capture the fun of the original, without simply making another CoD/BF3etc... clone.
I was thinking about the game modes the other night (Ninjaball!) but private matches are dead as an option anymore. Everyone wants their XP, and I can't completely blame them with the unlock systems in place.

Don't forget Reach is one of the only games I ever sold back. If Homefront didn't have such a broken party system I probably would've given that more effort too and ultimately if we all settled on BF3 from the beginning I probably would be playing that right now as well.

But..... all those games are so serious and rigid and brown and samey. Halo can be quite a spectacle at times, I like that sort of thing in games.
BF3 has good variation in settings, though obviously its limited by real life. Thanks to the graphics though, it's less bland than COD by a good deal. If it weren't for the gay-ass Online Pass I'd suggest it was worth picking up used. Especially since I thought you sensed the potential in Homefront.

Perhaps you can be cajoled if Bogues takes to it well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 05:14 PM

I think that between my current limited gaming time and my unfamiliarity with BF3 I wouldn't really be able to sink my teeth into it enough to master, and therefore, enjoy it.

I'm going to wait it out until the next multi game of choice, or Borderlands 2....because that shiz is gonna be sweet.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2012, 09:59 PM

November 6 is the confirmed release date, by the way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 09:50 AM

my unfamiliarity with BF3 I wouldn't really be able to sink my teeth into it enough to master, and therefore, enjoy it.
Bah, don't give me this crap. That I'm about the size of the current active community? Extremely valid objection. That you have to learn it? Not really.

I mean, you've mastered CoD right? And its maps. That's why its lost its allure. Its getting formulaic. BF3 has so much depth and that's what makes it interesting. Not sure you could say I've mastered anything yet – perhaps Assault and Tank Driving and Conquest – which leaves Engineer, Support, Recon, Helicopters, Jets, Rush, Death Matches... you get the idea.

I'm going to wait it out until the next multi game of choice, or Borderlands 2....because that shiz is gonna be sweet.
You know what the next game of choice is going to be. The question is, are you really interested in it? What could Black Ops 2 possibly bring to the table that would reenergize the love that has been lost playing MW3?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 11:20 AM

I forgot to add, you have six months to play the game. That's not exactly an insignificant amount of time.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 11:35 AM

They could do two things:
1. Get rid of the terrible host selection/hit detection/net code that Treyarch brought to the franchise in BO 1.
2. Take a lesson from Gears of War 3 and use dedicated servers.

Like I said in the other thread, I really don't see Halo 4 or Black Ops 2 getting the old MacNN group back together. Borderlands 2 is our only hope. Maybe E3 will bring us news regarding Bungie's and Respawn's new franchises.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
They could do two things:
1. Get rid of the terrible host selection/hit detection/net code that Treyarch brought to the franchise in BO 1.
2. Take a lesson from Gears of War 3 and use dedicated servers.
Yeah, not gonna happen.

Like I said in the other thread, I really don't see Halo 4 or Black Ops 2 getting the old MacNN group back together. Borderlands 2 is our only hope. Maybe E3 will bring us news regarding Bungie's and Respawn's new franchises.
Borderlands isn't exactly the same thing, though I'll be happy to play.

Really curious as to what Respawn is up to.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 12:50 PM

I forgot to add, you have six months to play the game. That's not exactly an insignificant amount of time.
Oh christ, you've all but convinced me at this point. I'm going to check my finances and most likely end up buying it. You're lucky you pose such a reliable gaming schedule, I'd love to play with Bogues too, but it's been a long time since he's been gaming with any regularity.

Black Ops 2....no f**king way. It could hand out free BJs and I'm still not going to buy it. I already own MW2, WaW, BOs, and MW3...that is certainly enough CoD games for this gen, that's for damn sure.

Borderlands 2 is definitely going to be a fun-assed game, but for a maximum of 4 of us at a time. I really don't see the crew reuniting for much at this point.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 12:59 PM

I'll buy Battlefield 3 if sek does.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 12:59 PM

Oh christ, you've all but convinced me at this point. I'm going to check my finances and most likely end up buying it. You're lucky you pose such a reliable gaming schedule, I'd love to play with Bogues too, but it's been a long time since he's been gaming with any regularity.
Well, I wasn't trying to convince you per se, as I said, my being the only regular is a huge detriment to the "community" aspect of the game. But if you'd like to reunite, I'll be super pumped to see you on.

Black Ops 2....no f**king way. It could hand out free BJs and I'm still not going to buy it. I already own MW2, WaW, BOs, and MW3...that is certainly enough CoD games for this gen, that's for damn sure.
You and I are going to need to reinforce each other on this then, and we're going to need to do a way better job than we did with Halo: Reach.

Borderlands 2 is definitely going to be a fun-assed game, but for a maximum of 4 of us at a time. I really don't see the crew reuniting for much at this point.
Then again, a 4 player limit doesn't hurt when our online gaming circle is falling apart...

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the general NN cancer spread to gaming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 01:00 PM

I'll buy Battlefield 3 if sek does.
Things I will hear if that happens:

"That's bullshit!"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 01:09 PM

Moving the discussion to the BF3 thread...

Sorry for the long derail...

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2012, 07:41 PM

Box art revealed along with Limited Edition details

• War Games Map Pack Access
The competitive multiplayer modes of Halo 4 are known as War Games. The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps - three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. Yes, you read that correctly; you get nine maps in the form of future DLC with the purchase of the Halo 4 Limited Edition. Think of it as a DLC pass.

• Specializations
Everyone will have access to select Specializations, but those that purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition will receive the ability to unlock six Specializations early, available at launch on Xbox LIVE. You can use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options.

• UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet
The UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet includes a Spartan armor customization schematic, information about UNSC weapons, an introduction to the massive ship UNSC Infinity, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: The Spartan-IVs. Story lovers will especially enjoy this in-fiction offering that provides a glimpse into the indoctrination of Spartans aboard the Infinity.

• Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Special Edition
The Special Edition of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn is a 90-minute extended version of the live-action digital series which will take fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC’s greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity.

Digital content also includes in-fiction bonus content that expands the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, special featurette Bringing Gaming into Reality, and a behind the scenes look at the making of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn.

• Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE
The Limited Edition includes the following bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE: unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin, unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle, an exclusive in-game emblem, Xbox LIVE Avatar prop, and Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan IV armor set.
$100 for the limited edition.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2012, 11:25 PM

If you pre-order Halo 4 from the Microsoft store here you get a $25 gaming coupon for a future purchase.

Just pre-ordered mine.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2012, 06:23 PM

Here are some revamps to some of the game modes...

Capture The Flag:

Some of the biggest changes in CTF that you will notice right away is that the flag carrier will not slow down while holding the flag. Also, and probably more importantly, is that while carrying the flag in your left hand you are able to carry a weapon in your right. That's right, you read it correctly. You can now carry the flag in one hand and your trusty pistol in the other. In case you are wondering, you still will be able to perform the flag assassinations when you need to beat down anyone who gets in your way.

Grifball:

There are some significant changes coming to the game mechanics. Scoring the ball is now quicker because when you score, the ball returns to the center of the field instead of ending the round like the round-based gameplay of its predecessor. This in turn speeds up the overall gameplay. Speaking of the ball, it's no longer a bomb. Instead, it is an electrically-charged sphere that you can hold in one hand. Also, if you kill the ball holder with the energy sword, you will perform what is being called a sword snatch in which the ball will be stripped away from your opponent's hands and given to you. One of the most interesting new gameplay mechanics for this game mode is the ability to "pass" the ball to your teammates. You throw the ball just like you would through a grenade. You can also use the hammer pass to blast the ball across the field to your teammate, which would allow for some really tactical Grifball games.

Oddball:

Oddball plays pretty much like before, with your team gaining points for how long you hold the oddball. However, now there are a few new medals for oddball. These medals include, but are not limited to, throwing the oddball to your teammate and for catching the oddball. This time, when you beat down your opponent with the oddball he disintegrates into thousands of pieces right before you eyes.
That's pretty crazy being able to wield a pistol while carrying the flag. Changes the mode quite a bit, especially since carrying the flag doesn't slow you down.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Here are some revamps to some of the game modes...
That's pretty crazy being able to wield a pistol while carrying the flag. Changes the mode quite a bit, especially since carrying the flag doesn't slow you down.
Some good changes to the game modes.

For CTF, actually it says you can wield a weapon, so I assume you can wield any weapon. This is basically bringing HALO up to what MW3 has. In MW3 CTF you can shoot and carry the flag at the same time.

Did you see all the weapons. I see they now have the equivalent of an LMG in HALO 4, called the SAW. They also have a sticky grenade launcher and rail gun. I'm not too excited by those 2, yet.

I pre-ordered the Limited edition of HALO 4. I'm assuming that I'll be bored of MW3 by then.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2012, 07:57 PM

http://halo4countdown.com/

I'm starting to get impatient for this game...

Anybody got any new news on it. It seems like it's been weeks since the last video was released!
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 07:59 AM

That reminds me, I still need to pre-order this game.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2012, 11:10 AM

I think I'm going to go back to Halo 3 next month and see if I can knock off a few more of it's achievements. I guess I got into Halo 3 soon after I started on the Xbox, and didn't know some of the tricks to getting some of the achievements - I was a bit green back then. Like for instance I can use a second controller to bring a second character into the game and get that last Skull (I think it's the Famine one). I should also be able to get the Headshot Honcho in campaign.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2012, 07:50 PM

Finally, some news and some screenshots...

http://www.trueachievements.com/n10827/halo-4-screenshots-flood-in-with-freshness.htm

They've introduced a mech in Halo 4 called the Mantis Mech.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2012, 12:25 PM

Damn, I went back to Halo 3 and played a campaign level... I'm not going back there. Halo 3 is so different and old, I couldn't keep playing that. Finally went to Crackdown 2 and finished off some achievements rather than working on the Halo 3 achievements.

I think next week, I'll go back to Halo: Reach. Get in a few rounds of online campaign or firefight to familiarize myself with the controls, and then try to get into some team matches. Maybe some Dino Blasters to start with. I'll probably suck in the first feww matches as I'm used to MW3.

I have to find something to fill in the couple of weeks before Assassin's Creed III and the following week after that Halo 4. But I don't want to start anything new, so I can concentrate on those 2 games for the next few months.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2012, 08:49 PM

Info about the Season Pass and future DLC:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n11193/halo-4-war-games-season-pass-details.htm
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 05:22 AM

It's HALO 4 Release Day!!!

Going to pick up my copy today! I probably won't be able to spend too much time on it today and tomorrow (just an hour or two), but I'll have lots of time this Friday as i have Friday off.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 AM

I picked up my copy last night at midnight. I was surprised to see such a long line. Played a matches in War Games last night and was quite impressed with the visuals and sound of this game. Everything looks gorgeous. The game comes with 2 discs. Disc 2 contains all the multiplayer stuff that needs to be installed on the hard drive. (I didn't check to see how much space it uses.)

A few things I immediately noticed from the 2 games I played last night:

- Lots of COD stuff added to the Halo universe (Kill Cam, weapon unlocks, loadouts, sprinting, etc.)
- Vehicles feel heavier, not floaty like in the previous Halo games.
- Still can't fully customize the buttons on the controller (I want use the B button for melee dammit!)
- The weapons sound awesome.

I can't wait jump back in tonight after the Borderlands crew signs off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules