Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Review: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Review: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 21, 2015, 08:06 AM

The Samsung Galaxy S6 range is a critical component in Samsung's flagging smartphone strategy. With sales of its high-end smartphones being sapped by intense competition from Apple's larger iPhone 6 models, and sales of its mid-range and low-end smartphones being attacked from all sides by the cheaper Chinese competition, the success of the Galaxy S6 is vital to the company reversing its fortunes. The Galaxy S6 Edge is potentially the more interesting of its two Galaxy S6 models -- both of which share identical specs on paper -- as the Edge features a more adventurous design with a curved version of its Super AMOLED display. So can Samsung claw back market share with its new smartphone, and return high profitability to its mobile division? Read on in our full review of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 21, 2015 at 08:19 AM. )

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2015, 09:58 PM

I have to admit that I am having buyers remorse about my iPhone 6 Plus. I bought almost ever iteration of iPhone from the iPhone 3G skipping only the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 before buying the 6 plus. I think Apple really dropped the ball with the 8MP sensor on the rear camera and the lack of 4K recording. They should have seen the writing on the wall and at least included a 12MP sensor and offered 4K video recording with a firmware update later if they were not quite ready. The processor in the 6Plus is more than capable of decoding and playing back 4k files even though the display is only 1080p and I am sure Apple could have recorded and encoded 4k video if they had wanted to and included a sufficiently high MP sensor.

My next phone this fall or next spring might end up being the next Samsung Galaxy phone to come out. Apple under Tim Cook is losing the smartphone war to the point that even "loyal" fans like me are looking at Samsung. My current LCD TV is a Samsung and my first UHD TV will likely be a Samsung too.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2015, 11:12 PM

Looking at your review, I noticed that 4k Video was noticeably absent from the review?

What was the reason for that? If we are interested in seeing competition push all companies including Apple forward, should you not have included that as part of the feature set? What about video playback? What about 4k or 1440p video playback?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 21, 2015, 11:50 PM

At the moment, there's no real reason to do 4k playbacks - the screens can't get there. I'll ask the reviewer if he can do a 1440p video, but I'm telling you now- the phone won't have any issue whatsoever about pushing it.

Sanjiv Sathiah
May 22, 2015, 12:42 AM

I did not look at the 4K video shooting of the GS6 as most people who buy smartphones are interested in still photo quality. There was no deliberate attempt to avoid talking about the GS6s capability in this area.

Also, as Mike points out above, 4K is not yet a mainstream technology. Even for those customers who buy a GS6, only a relatively small percentage are likely to own a 4K TV or monitor to enjoy the full potential of the video shot on the device.

As for the iPhone 6 Plus, this is my daily driver and I am very happy with mine. So much so, that it is probably the first iPhone I've ever bought that I didn't really wish it had another feature or capability. Obviously, we can't all feel the same, and you clearly feel otherwise.

As I said in the article, I'd really be more inclined to consider a GS6 if there was a stock Android version of it. Fragmentation is a real and ongoing issue for Android and it's getting worse by the day.
Electronista Staff

Forum Links
Forum Rules