Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Harvey Milk

Harvey Milk
Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 10:24 AM

Just loved the movie; it shows that gay people are just like anyone else; but not for the religious maniacs.

The would feel so much better if they would all say that they hate gay people because they are afraid of anything that challenges their ordre établi.

I know this one woman that says she does not have them but just the sins the gay people are commiting by being gay. Very funny.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 12:13 PM

Hollywood being Hollywood, this movie could be the worst written and acted in history, but It will win Best Picture and Best Actor.
45/47

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 12:13 PM

Yeah..those silly religious people and their morals!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
The would feel so much better if they would all say that they hate gay people because they are afraid of anything that challenges their ordre établi.
How world you know ?

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Hollywood being Hollywood, this movie could be the worst written and acted in history, but It will win Best Picture and Best Actor.
Except that it's quite far from that. The writing isn't brilliant but it's solid. The acting, by Sean Penn and Josh Brolin especially, is very good.

Overall I quite liked the movie. It does have that familiar biopic pacing but it's well done. Gus Van Sant knows how to direct a movie.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Gus Van Sant knows how to direct a movie.
Psycho was EXCELLENT!

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Psycho was EXCELLENT!
errr...... Psycho was seriously far outside the context of the rest of Van Sant's film career. Attempting a shot-for-shot remake of a classic Hitchcock movie was a crazily bold move and was really doomed from the start, especially with the casting of Vince Vaughn. If you want a better representation of what he can do, think Last Days, Elephant or Good Will Hunting.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2008, 11:59 PM

I remain uninterested in Sean Penn, his life, his activism, his political positions, his domestic abuse, or his movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_of_Harvey_Milk was worth seeing. See Mr. Milk in his own words. See the real thing.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I remain uninterested in Sean Penn, his life, his activism, his political positions, his domestic abuse, or his movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_of_Harvey_Milk was worth seeing. See Mr. Milk in his own words. See the real thing.
meh. The fact that there are dozens of quality WWII documentaries out there didn't make Saving Private Ryan (example) any less enjoyable, nor take away from the film making. If you don't like Sean Penn's movies, you either aren't much of a modern movie buff or are just missing out to spite yourself. He's easily one of the best actors of his generation.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I remain uninterested in Sean Penn.... his movies.
Too bad.

Because film critics pretty much consider him the greatest actor of his generation. His movies tend to be worth watching just for his performance, even if the rest of the movie isn't quite as good (Hurlyburly, in particular.) My favorite role of his was Jimmy Markum in Mystic River (a movie directed by libertarian filmmaker Clint Eastwood). You know, I may not like Charleton Heston's politics, but Planet of the Apes was a good movie. And Bo Derek was hot at least in "10." Give the guy some credit.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 12:31 PM

Every actor has their Shanghai Surprise.
45/47

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
Too bad.

Because film critics pretty much consider him the greatest actor of his generation. His movies tend to be worth watching just for his performance, even if the rest of the movie isn't quite as good (Hurlyburly, in particular.) My favorite role of his was Jimmy Markum in Mystic River (a movie directed by libertarian filmmaker Clint Eastwood). You know, I may not like Charleton Heston's politics, but Planet of the Apes was a good movie. And Bo Derek was hot at least in "10." Give the guy some credit.
I'd like to agree with your point but I'm guilty of avoiding all Tom Cruise movies strictly because of his personal weirdness. Then again, Cruise can't act his way out of a box so I guess it's irrelevant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules