Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What the hell happened to my OS X?

What the hell happened to my OS X?
zola25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 11:50 AM

I've had my iMac for a few months now and all was working well until a few days ago I tried to change my startup disk to OS X rather than OS 9.2. Much to my dismay the HD cannot find OS X. All my folders seem to be OK in the Applications folder but no luck in switching to OS X. I called Apple tech support and they didn't really have a remedy except for 'zeroing' my HD and reinstalling all components from scratch. Of course this would recover my system as it was the first day I brought it home, but I can't believe this is my only resort for a computer that is barely 3 months old?!?!?!?!?!? Could the 3rd party software I've been installing have caused this mess? I recently installed MSN Messenger, AOL Instan Messenger, and Limewire.

Confused and disappointed.

TheMacLover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2002, 01:09 PM

Did you install OSX and 9.2 from the installation CDs? And even if so, did you update OSX with the (now unfortunately long list of) various upgrades?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 02:43 PM

It is very easy, from within OS 9, to erase vital OS X system files. There are no file permissions preventing you form doing so.

I doubt you need a full reformat ans reistall. You can probably just reinstall OS X from the install CD. If you only have restore CD's, there (at least there used to be) an option to restore w/o erasing data.

I would back up at least you most important data berfore attempting.

Paco

Forum Links
Forum Rules