Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > crossplatform file splitter or compression format (RAR?)

crossplatform file splitter or compression format (RAR?)
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 09:49 AM

hey
I need to move a 720 meg file from a pc to a mac, now it doesnt fit on a cd so i need to split it into 2 files so i can, ive tried using rar format (with the "store" capacity, this could have been the problem but i didnt feel like waiting 2 hours for it to compress it into the "normal" capacity) so anyway does anyone know if there is a crossplatform file splitter or a pc compression format that can be split and uncompressed on a mac (zip is a possiblity but for some mornic reason winzip only lets you make split archives if your zipping onto a floppy disk, pathetic really)
thanks in advance, i really need this

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 10:23 AM

check versiontracker.com or macupdate.com, it'll probably be under the utilities sections.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 02:18 PM

thanks foud what i was looking for, gah i really should have looked there first but i didnt for some reason

benb
Jun 12, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
thanks foud what i was looking for, gah i really should have looked there first but i didnt for some reason
It is always good, when you post a question and then solve it yourself, to let others know how you solved it. That way, when someone has the same problem in the future, they can search the archives and find the answer quickly and easily. In addition, posting a reply saying you solved ti, and not telling how, is even worse than not posting back at all. You sir, should have your opposable thumbs cut off.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 03:41 PM

If you're feeling pretty geeky and running OS X, there's always the split and join commands.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2003, 06:24 PM

sorry
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17123
/\ mac side

http://www.tomasoft.com/
/\ pc side

personally I think not posting back at all is worse because it wastes more peoples time in the long run

Forum Links
Forum Rules