Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone waiting a while in case the new iMac has issues?

Anyone waiting a while in case the new iMac has issues?
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 02:50 AM

My brother was about to order a new 20", but then asked me if new models ever have problems (he's in the car industry where new cars often have problems). And of course I had to be honest and say yes they do. I now think I might recommend he waits a while. The original iMac G5 was a dog (noise etc, then the swollen caps issue) and although I trust Apple to get this one right as it's not a radical design change, I do think he should wait a little while. The MacBook and MB Pro both had problems (heat, screens etc) so there is a recent precedent. He's a Mac novice and I have to support him technically so I also don't want a buggy machine to bug both of us.

So, anyone else waiting a while?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

chrisford
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2007, 05:33 AM

I've just order the 2.4 20", which probably makes me a bit stoopid, given Apple's 1.0 release problems in the past. I'm justifying it to myself by thinking that this isn't too great a revision (afaik, it seems as tho' the internals are much the same, with the greater changes being made to the casing).

I'm sure I'll live to regret it tho'

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2007, 07:20 AM

Normally I would if I had the option but I badly need a new computer to run things like Aperature well and proccess hundreds of RAW files a month. The Pro is well over a grand more with a similar configuration and doesn't make economic sense for my needs. I need this thing and already have it on order. My old G5 iMac doesn't run some of things I need it to well or at all and my MacBook is an awful mac to run Aperature on. FWIW I needed a new laptop for school and bought a first gen MacBook. Not a single problem so far.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 08:14 AM

I usually wait a little while for issues to crop up. That's what I'm doing this time; I will wait for a week or two, once the Macworld review comes out and I've read enough first-hand accounts to put my mind at ease.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 08:20 AM

I thought about that...for about 30 seconds. Then I bought one-the 2.4GHz 20" version. Unfortunately I have a lot of work to do in getting my stupid desk cleaned off enough to set it up, so it's sat there in its pretty box since yesterday afternoon. Sigh...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 09:13 AM

Don't think you have to worry. I ordered the 1st gen 24 inch when it was anounced, shipped straight from china (or where ever it was made) and had zero problems. Like anything else, its possible to have problems but should be found in the first 30 to 60 days of using it and apple care will take care of it. Would definately purchase the extended care though. The only problems I have encountered it 1 bad pixel but barely noticable. My only concern would be the heat issue with the largest processor as if I leave mine on for awhile, its gets pretty warm. With the aluminum casing, that might cool it better. Otherwise, download the fan control software to bump up the fans to coll it better.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I thought about that...for about 30 seconds. Then I bought one-the 2.4GHz 20" version. Unfortunately I have a lot of work to do in getting my stupid desk cleaned off enough to set it up, so it's sat there in its pretty box since yesterday afternoon. Sigh...
Glenn -- Two questions: Did you consider the 24-inch at all? (I'm going back and forth; have a 20inch Dell now and like it just fine but still...
And 2) Are you at all worried about the glossy screen. I'm ready to buy but I'm concerned, as another post will point out!
Thanks in advance.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 09:50 AM

Oh -- and I bought a first-generation 12-inch PB and the only trouble I've had is the hard drive dying, after I'd had it and used it daily for 4 years. It's still in daily use.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 10:15 AM

I'm waiting until they do one in black.

...and until those class action suits with regard to RSI force Apple to start manufacturing a proper keyboard again.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Glenn -- Two questions: Did you consider the 24-inch at all? (I'm going back and forth; have a 20inch Dell now and like it just fine but still...
And 2) Are you at all worried about the glossy screen. I'm ready to buy but I'm concerned, as another post will point out!
Thanks in advance.
I looked at the 24" version, and it's much too large for my office space. The extra $300 in price was a factor too. Frankly, I was surprised at how big the 20" model looks.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I looked at the 24" version, and it's much too large for my office space. The extra $300 in price was a factor too. Frankly, I was surprised at how big the 20" model looks.
I'm just biting the bullet. There are 2 apple stores within 45 minutes. I'm going to visit one today and see what I think about both the glossy screen and the 20-inch, vs. 24-inch. Then, I'll buy.

mindwaves
Aug 9, 2007, 11:58 AM

I really do not care if it is a first generation/1.0/new product at all. Examples: Powerbook G4 12'' (first rev), Macbook (first rev), my new 20'' C2D iMac.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 12:24 PM

The glossy screen is not a problem for me. In my home office I have control of the lighting, so it would not be a problem, but my relatively focal lighting doesn't cause any annoying reflections. And since I don't plan on actually touching the screen while pointing at stuff while eating messy foods... Well, I don't think this will be a problem.

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 12:44 PM

I have an appointment in an hour with a personal shopper at an Apple store. I can cover the glossy screen, 20-inch vs. 24-inch, etc. THen I'll come home and order something. I can't just pick one up b/c no matter which one I get, I want a bigger hard drive, plus I actually need a modem (I still fax from my computer).

Nothing like seeing it in person. I have now seen enough posts, I think, that I'm fairly certain the glossy screen won't be an issue. My home office is in the basement, with track lighting above. The windows are covered by window well covers, first of all, and have dark blinds on them.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm waiting until they do one in black.

...and until those class action suits with regard to RSI force Apple to start manufacturing a proper keyboard again.
Hasn't happened with the millions of laptop keyboards...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
Hasn't happened with the millions of laptop keyboards...
The millions of laptop keyboards have a laptop between their front edge and the desk.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I have an appointment in an hour with a personal shopper at an Apple store. I can cover the glossy screen, 20-inch vs. 24-inch, etc. THen I'll come home and order something. I can't just pick one up b/c no matter which one I get, I want a bigger hard drive, plus I actually need a modem (I still fax from my computer).

Nothing like seeing it in person. I have now seen enough posts, I think, that I'm fairly certain the glossy screen won't be an issue. My home office is in the basement, with track lighting above. The windows are covered by window well covers, first of all, and have dark blinds on them.
What were your final thoughts?!

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
What were your final thoughts?!
I love it. Yes, there's glare, but even in the Apple store, if you make the screen pretty vertical, the glare goes away. And my office (home office) is nothing like the Apple store. Went back and forth on size, but am opting for the 24-inch. In fact, I probably would have taken the thing with me, but I really do want the 500 GB hard drive. And I probably could have been dissuaded from that, just to take it home, but I was going for the whole ipod, printer deal, etc. And the iPod probably will go to the kid who was with me. So I opted for ordering at home, instead. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now.

Of course, had I bougth there, I'd be setting it up right now, but, oh well. I'm really glad I went to go see it, though.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2007, 10:40 PM

Don't be so impatient, it isn't like telemarketing where it's "Ring now whilst stock lasts". For a start there are no steak knives.

Wait for any issues to arise and particularly wait for Leopard to be released or you will be paying separately for it.

I would think if you don't rush now you will get better deals later on from Amazon or other resellers.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 08:34 AM

Apart from the fact that every version, be it 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or more can have issues, there is one major defect (for me) that is already self-evident with the new iMacs - they don't ship with Leopard. That's the reason I am waiting.

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 08:59 AM

I would, and am, definitely giving these a couple of months. I could get one now, and work would probably give me one of their Leopard licenses when it comes out, but it seems silly not to wait, risk hardware bugs and waste a license.

Also hoping they'll release Blu-Ray drives for the iMacs soon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules