Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iron Man

Iron Man
jokell82
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 11:05 PM

Just got back from this movie - definitely one of the best comic book movies ever. Right up there with Batman Begins in my book. You don't need to know anything about the comics to enjoy it, either (although there are a few good inside jokes). It's just an all-around good movie. Go see it.

Oh, and stay 'til the end of the credits for a Nick Fury cameo.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MM-o4
Senior User
May 2, 2008, 02:33 AM

good to hear. I am interested in see this one fo'sho

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 07:03 PM

Excellent summer movie. My wife and I saw it at a matinee, then saw it again immediately.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2008, 07:05 PM

A friend and I were going to see this last night, but the theater was absolutely jam-packed-spilling-out-the-doors, so we bought GTA-IV instead.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2008, 07:17 PM

I saw it Thursday at a sneak preview. The theater was only about half full strangely, even though this was an open preview you could purchase tickets for. It was a great comic book movie in my opinion.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 10:11 PM

We went last night and I really enjoyed it. I think Robert Downey Jr did a great job as Tony Stark.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 11:49 PM

Robert Downey Jr made the movie. And was that Jude Law doing the voice of Jarvis? Super great movie.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 01:07 AM

Ditto.

I took the family to the drive-in. (yes, they still exist in all their rednecky glory) It was double-featured with Drillbit Taylor.

Iron Man was awesome. Downey was fantastic and I loved jeff Bridges as well. Though, seeing how old he looked makes me feel old too…

Drillbit Taylor…not so great. Of course I probably didn't have to tell you that huh?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
And was that Jude Law doing the voice of Jarvis?
Apparently that was Paul Bettany.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2008, 01:14 AM

I saw this movie yesterday. It was pretty awesome, thanks largely to Robert Downey Jr. It was much more character-driven than most superhero movies — Stark doesn't become some wisecracking superhero just because he puts on his suit — so its success came down almost entirely to whether Tony Stark was a compelling character. Downey knocked it out of the park, so I enjoyed the movie greatly.

Also, the voice of the computer was Paul Bettany. He does sound kind of like Jude Law, but fortunately I happened to see it with a woman who's a huge Paul Bettany fan and apparently can tell them apart with no trouble.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 07:14 AM

I'm torn between going now or waiting until video. I'm a big comic book fan and generally a Marvel-over-DC guy, but I absolutely hate Tony Stark as a character. Iron Man is the worst Marvel super-hero ever IMO. Still, I sat through Hulk and I'm not a fan of his, so I'll probably break down and check it out soon.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Robert Downey Jr made the movie. And was that Jude Law doing the voice of Jarvis? Super great movie.
During the movie I, too, thought it was Jude Law's voice, but like Chuckit said, it was Paul Bettany's. I browsed to IMDB while I was waiting for the credits to finish.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2008, 02:28 PM

I was very apprehensive going to see this, but I'm in agreement that Downey did a great job as Tony Stark. He did it his way and made the character shine. There was almost as much humor as there was action. And the movie offered a very good contemporary spin on the classic good vs. evil story-line. This was a very likable and believable adaptation.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2008, 03:30 PM

I was happy to see Jeff Bridges in another film. He's such a great actor and so under appreciated. Downey was really good, too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
I'm torn between going now or waiting until video. I'm a big comic book fan and generally a Marvel-over-DC guy, but I absolutely hate Tony Stark as a character. Iron Man is the worst Marvel super-hero ever IMO. Still, I sat through Hulk and I'm not a fan of his, so I'll probably break down and check it out soon.
Funny, Iron Man was my favorite comic character as a kid, and still is.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 05:38 PM

I take it everyone looking in this thread knows there may be spoilers right?

At any rate, did anyone catch the easter egg scene after the credits?

For those who wanna know about it:

I'm stoked.
( Last edited by greenamp; May 4, 2008 at 05:46 PM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 06:00 PM

I went to watch the movie last night. There were hardly anybody since my co-worker can get access to the theater. Anyhow, I love the movie. The summer movie season begins.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 06:17 PM

Saw it yesterday, loved it. The smart home system was pretty sweet - I want one.

Kinda O/T, did anyone see the preview for the incredible hulk? That looks like it'll be good too.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Saw it yesterday, loved it. The smart home system was pretty sweet - I want one.

Kinda O/T, did anyone see the preview for the incredible hulk? That looks like it'll be good too.
Incredible Hulk will probably suffer because of the last movie. But I think it looks good too.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 07:11 PM

"And sometimes, I even take out the trash."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 07:13 PM

I thought the Hulk looked kinda dumb. Also, it's fantastic how they reveal the plot twist in the preview.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Also, it's fantastic how they reveal the plot twist in the preview.
Wildly Popular 'Iron Man' Trailer To Be Adapted Into Full-Length Film | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 02:11 PM

It was a good movie. Problem for me was they showed to much of the story in the trailers so there was no surprises for me at all. It felt like I had already read a script when I was watching it for the first time.

Good action hero movie but still no where close to as good as Batman Begins.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2008, 01:54 AM

I think it's one of the best comic book movies ever, if not the best. I thought that content wise it is a bit on the light side, but perhaps that's only because the pacing is so good. I've decided Iron Man bests Spider Man, and part of the reason why is due to the fact that Gweneth Paltrow is attractive and not annoying while Dunst got hit by the ugly as sin stick and is quite annoying as Mary Jane. Robert Downey's performance really stands out, and I was satisfied with all the technology displayed. I would have liked the fight with War Monger to have been a bit longer, but that's a minor point. Definitely worth seeing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 05:06 AM

Am I the only one to which this is the first ever mention of a super hero called "Iron Man"?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

fredy
Baninated
May 7, 2008, 05:48 AM

Perfect blend off a well drenched story in form of a science nostalgia

Perfect scintillated mixtures off graphics stuffed emotions…………mind blowing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Am I the only one to which this is the first ever mention of a super hero called "Iron Man"?
I took an informal poll of my friends and found that Iron Man is actually much less known than I had supposed. I've never been an Iron Man fan, but I always knew who he was. Apparently, though, you're less alone than I am.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:05 AM

Yeah. Especially since I'm not exactly a stranger to pop culture and comics either…

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I took an informal poll of my friends and found that Iron Man is actually much less known than I had supposed. I've never been an Iron Man fan, but I always knew who he was. Apparently, though, you're less alone than I am.
Sadly, comic books have been near death's door for over a decade now. Kids have way too many options now, especially to choose something that involves reading.

As far as popularity and public awareness go, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, and Robin are probably the most recognizable characters to the public at large. Outside of those 5, I wouldn't be shocked if any character were unknown to a large group of people (even Wolverine, Captain America, Flash, and Green Lantern).

Iron Man is probably the 2nd-most well known founding Avenger after the Hulk (although Thor may have something to say about that). IIRC, the show "Jeopardy" had a category for Marvel adjectives. I was a little surprised back then that "The Invincible _________" was the $1000 question.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 06:19 AM

Yeah. Especially since I'm not exactly a stranger to pop culture and comics either…
If you're not a stranger to Marvel comics, then I have a hard time believing you've never heard of Iron Man (or Tony Stark) until now. If you like the Wu-Tang Clan, Iron Man is the source for Ghostface's nickname (and the title of his debut album).
( Last edited by lavar78; May 7, 2008 at 09:52 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:52 AM

Well, you learn something everyday. I never got the whole DC vs. Marvel tiff, but I guess unconsciously I know more about the DC "universe". I do like WTC, but didn't know that was the origin. You learn something new every day. Thanks.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 08:05 AM

I know that it's a comic book movie, but this had to be one of the least plausible and unbelievable movies I've sen in a long time. Source material be damned... it doesn't matter if it happened in the comic... it didn't feel real on the big screen. Building a mecha in a cave? Surviving any of those falls? A magnet to keep barbs out of his heart? Where was the magnet for the rest of his organs? His brain? One man could build that thing? Really? Really? And he had never built anything even remotely close before? Really?

It also felt like it was missing an action scene.

Eh, I mean, it, wasn't terrible or anything... it was actually pretty entertaining. Robert Downy did a good job and really carried the movie. The action that was there was pretty good as well.

I would say that it was a slightly above average comic book movie, which doesn't mean it was bad or anything... I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
One man could build that thing? Really? Really? And he had never built anything even remotely close before? Really?
You did understand that he was an engineering genius, right? I mean, he graduated top of his class at MIT at the age of 17.

A magnet to keep barbs out of his heart? Where was the magnet for the rest of his organs?
The only shrapnel that couldn't be removed were the pieces close to his heart. Don't see the problem here, especially since they explained that in the movie.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 08:38 AM

I thought it was pretty good. Way better than Fantastic Four or Hulk. My main problem was the stereo-typical villain and the generic way he was overcome.

My friend emailed me that he enjoyed all scenes with Stark much more than those with Iron Man. I had to agree. Stark was a witty, funny engineering Rock Star.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 09:40 AM

I never got the whole DC vs. Marvel tiff
There are a series of youtube videos that explain it very well.

Here are a few of them...
YouTube - Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm a DC: Iron Man and Batman
YouTube - Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm Batman. (Mac/PC Parody)
YouTube - Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm a DC. (Mac PC Parody) #1
( Last edited by cjrivera; May 7, 2008 at 09:50 AM. )
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You did understand that he was an engineering genius, right? I mean, he graduated top of his class at MIT at the age of 17.

The only shrapnel that couldn't be removed were the pieces close to his heart. Don't see the problem here, especially since they explained that in the movie.
No, I get all of those things. It just seemed like... if he was capable of making the Iron Man suit all by himself, why hadn't he done anything like that in the past. He flew halfway around the world to showcase a missile, but had the capability to build a mech in a cave? It just seemed like a leap.

And I got the shrapnel thing, but why did a piece of shrapnel by his heart mean that he had a hole though the center of his chest? Where was his heart?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I thought it was pretty good. Way better than Fantastic Four or Hulk. My main problem was the stereo-typical villain and the generic way he was overcome.
Yeah, I found myself wondering during the ending if that was how it was originally supposed to go. It had the feeling of something from the studio's notes rather than something organic to the script. But it was still better than the ridiculous crap they shoved upon The Golden Compass, so hey.
Chuck
___

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2008, 12:35 PM

No, I get all of those things. It just seemed like... if he was capable of making the Iron Man suit all by himself, why hadn't he done anything like that in the past. He flew halfway around the world to showcase a missile, but had the capability to build a mech in a cave? It just seemed like a leap.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

After he took over Stark Industries he probably spent most of his time drinking and partying. Once he was put in a situation where he needed to "invent" his way out of a dangerous situation, his brain cells shifted into high-gear.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 12:59 PM

And I got the shrapnel thing, but why did a piece of shrapnel by his heart mean that he had a hole though the center of his chest? Where was his heart?
Edit - Nevermind, thought you meant something else.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 01:09 PM

The thing I couldn't get over and I was hoping they would explain is how he can survive all those G's.

I understand the suite is super strong but flying around at Mach 2 and being hit by a tank projectile, coming to a dead stop and smashing into the ground from a mile up would turn anything inside that suit into mush from the G forces alone.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 01:09 PM

The thought crossed my mind as well, but I wrote it off since it is based on a comic book.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 01:19 PM

Everything after the escape at the beginning I was able to roll with because of the comic book thing. It's okay that he gets slammed into the ground that fast when he's in his real suit because I can imagine he must have some sort of dampening system in the thing. It was the part where he escaped from the cave in his makeshift suit that I thought was just too unbelievable. He definitely didn't have anything to protect him from the Gs in that suit, and the armor was only half an inch thick and made from plain old steel, not any sort of exotic polymer alloy or whatever. It certainly wouldn't have been able to stop .50 caliber machine gun rounds.

I know. It's a frakking comic book. It's just the beginning that I thought was too much of a stretch. But even that part was fun.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 01:26 PM

It was fun, but also one of the most unbelievable comic book movies ever. I don't think there is any way you can explain half of the stuff in the movie. It was just over the top and ridiculous. More so then most comic book movies. Way more.

But, if you just turn off that part of your brain and roll with it, it's an entertaining movie.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
He definitely didn't have anything to protect him from the Gs in that suit, and the armor was only half an inch thick and made from plain old steel, not any sort of exotic polymer alloy or whatever. It certainly wouldn't have been able to stop .50 caliber machine gun rounds.
Not to mention the fancy computer operating system he wrote for the suit for his escape.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:26 PM

Never heard of it before either.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The thing I couldn't get over and I was hoping they would explain is how he can survive all those G's.

I understand the suite is super strong but flying around at Mach 2 and being hit by a tank projectile, coming to a dead stop and smashing into the ground from a mile up would turn anything inside that suit into mush from the G forces alone.
Downey Jr. was on a serious dose of coke.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 08:18 PM

I tried to see it in Bali two days ago before I flew out, but all shows were sold out.

What reallllllly gets me annoyed is that the movie won't be out in Japan until September 20th. The the heck. Its out in indonesia the same weekend as the US (and more or less the entire world) but it take until September to open in Japan?

I can probably buy the DVD when I'm back in the States in August. Damn you Japan!

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 10:16 PM

I'm thinking the DVD won't come out till Oct 30 like Spiderman3 did which also opened the first week of May last year. I can't wait for the Blu-ray myself. I've think it was so good because it had so many analogue special effects. I think the end of computer generated effects is near... they just ruin movies by making them look totally fake. You can argue that stuff in this movie would not have happened but it sure looked like it did!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 11:13 PM

May be going to see this one again this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules