Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Powerbook simple network to pc

Powerbook simple network to pc
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 03:29 PM

Hey
Right I will be purchasing a new powerbook tomorrow hopefully. Although I am extremely pissed off by the stupid concept of a student discount, here I am totally ready for uni, purchasing all my junk I need, but I can't get a discount becuase I haven't got either an email at a uni or a student union card. Bah stupid, guessing its not apples fault though. Anyway let me start from the top, I connect to the net via ADSL and of course will want to get my powerbook set up with my email account/im's and such. Anyway my ancient pc connects via some cheap semi brandless usb modem running conexant drivers. Anyway I'm assuming that theres no mac drivers for my dodgy modem and seen as I'm only staying here for 1 more month I'm not buying a new modem (seen as its only been here since about july). Anyway I'll get to the point, is there a way I can just simply network my powerbook to the pc and share its net connection? (without installing a network card in the pc, heck i just had the evil thing open last week cos its hard drive just died for no reason) becuase I've networked 2 pcs via a parrallel or a com port before, but yeah the powerbook hasnt got these (neither should a pc these days seen as they're pretty useless) anyway I'm sure I heard something about using a usb cable to do something similar with macs or am I imagining things? hehe so anyone know how I can simply network the 2 for file exchange and possibly net sharing? or will I be burning alot of cds come tomorrow?
(excuse my total lack of grammar I've been awake over 40 hours)

uberden
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 03:32 PM

The PowerBook you purchase will (A) come with a built in modem, and (B) have built in ethernet.

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 05:35 PM

The powerbook can network just fine, as pointed out already it has a network port (100baseT) you could just plug this into any PC with a short ethernet cable) The problem is that your PC, (according to your post) lacks the built in networking ports. I don't think you will find a way to setup a newtwork without upgrading the PC.

Are you trying to move lots of data or just connect to a dialup internet service?

Is the modem you are conecting to a DSL modem? if it is... it should be possible to have the PC pass the network traffic from the USB DSL modem to a network port (ie act like a bridge) except you dont have a network port on the PC, and this setup is diffucult for experts to setup.

You can get a new DSL modem that could be shared by both computers , if you ISP allows it.
( Last edited by climber; Aug 29, 2002 at 05:42 PM. )
climber

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 05:42 PM

Mind you, the newer PowerBooks equipped with gigabit networking don't need a crossover cable; they automatically switch over, meaning you'll be able to use any standard cable to connect the PC to your new Ti.

climber
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 05:44 PM

I think he is talking about a DSL Modem.
climber

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2002, 05:53 PM

Just run basic Windows gateway software on your PC and share the connetcion via 802.11b.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2002, 06:19 PM

Ahh but I couldn't use the 56k anymore seen as I've just got ADSL. Erm and it was only really to get the thing set up with all my junk off the pc. Anyway it doesn't matter now beucase due to evil educational discounts being totally useless becuase you have to actually have got to uni to get them (going in about a month, thus buying things for the move) thus I'm having to wait till I'm at uni to get the thing, which is really REALLLY annoying and makes me wish they didn't even offer the damn discounts. So yeah now about another month till I move to mac, which is what i've been eager to do since xmas, bah damn things prolly gonna be out of date within 3 weeks of getting it. Bit of a stupid time to release new models. I'm not so bothered but now I've got my dad whining at me saying he doesn't like spending so much money on something that will go out of date so fast �_� bah.

Anyway, I mean't just a simple network, like you can do with pc's via com cables, etc. I would shove a wireless card in it, but I'm moving away so it dont really matter

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2002, 07:30 PM

Ethernet hub, cables between the two.
You'll be able to file transfer, and if you run Windows Internet Connection Sharing, the Mac will simply work on the PC's connection.

the mac has the same function but if you've already configured the PC, then there's no point in messing up what works.

And, this topic really belongs in networking, since it's more about the network than it is about the powerbook.

Good luck getting your new machine! Sorry to hear about the edu discount.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules