Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Thoth

Thoth
Artwork
Jan 6, 2003, 03:00 AM

Good Morning,

Well, after creating a lot of commotion (sorry) I decided to go along with Thoth, I even paid for it .

I must be doing something wrong, I can�t find out what?

I select all the parts of a posting, select extract binaries and yes, I see the downloading gets on. During that process I see the appearance of �temp� files on my desktop (the default download place in my case), once completed they disappear again. When al the downloading is done (all the parts), the problem is that there is no trace of any downloaded file in any form???

Where is or are my downloads?

I tried this over and over again, nothing. I must oversee something but what.

Anybody give me a hand please?

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 6, 2003, 04:52 AM

You set the default folder for saving extracted binaries in preferences, and they should appear there... it may not be the desktop by default. Look under 'Extracting Binaries' in the Preferences.

I have a folder on my desktop called 'Thoth', to which everything gets downloaded - even temp files which are deleted once Thoth converts them to MP3's or whatever.

I will admit that the preferences for Thoth are rather comprehensive, but this does (once you get the hang of it!) all the more powerful. Glad to see that you've given it and the Mac another go.

Artwork  (op)
Jan 6, 2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by engaged:
You set the default folder for saving extracted binaries in preferences, and they should appear there... it may not be the desktop by default. Look under 'Extracting Binaries' in the Preferences.

I have a folder on my desktop called 'Thoth', to which everything gets downloaded - even temp files which are deleted once Thoth converts them to MP3's or whatever.

I will admit that the preferences for Thoth are rather comprehensive, but this does (once you get the hang of it!) all the more powerful. Glad to see that you've given it and the Mac another go.

Well, I came this far:

I ended up with as much temp files in de created Thoth folder as there where in the posting.

The names are like this: temp21.???

I found out that I could expand these files with stuffit, they are transformed in a new file that is named: �Blue-One love-01 One Love.mp3.bn�

These files are not recognized by Itunes as MP3 files. I wonder what the .bn extension means in the filename?

I it possible to configure thoth that it automatically converts the downloaded files so I end up with readable files? (Mp3 and jpeg?)

Would very much appreciate anybody�s help here.

THX

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 08:36 AM

Hmm. I have no idea what the .bn files would be.
Do you have "Decode Extracted Binary Attachments" and "Trash Temp Files" turned on in the "Extracting Binaries" part of the Preferences screen?
Also remember to turn on "Create Long filenames in OS X" in the Miscellaneous section.

I've been using Thoth since it came out, and it's very robust and stable.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Artwork:
Well, I came this far:

I ended up with as much temp files in de created Thoth folder as there where in the posting.

The names are like this: temp21.???

I found out that I could expand these files with stuffit, they are transformed in a new file that is named: �Blue-One love-01 One Love.mp3.bn�

These files are not recognized by Itunes as MP3 files. I wonder what the .bn extension means in the filename?

I it possible to configure thoth that it automatically converts the downloaded files so I end up with readable files? (Mp3 and jpeg?)

Would very much appreciate anybody�s help here.

THX
What kind of files are you downloading and they are less then 29 characters right? Thoth doesn't decode everything and X doesn't like long file names. So look around to see if any text documents are new which is what Thoth does sometime. Thoth had a prob with enyc posts not sure if they added that support, but Hogwasher is pretty good too.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
What kind of files are you downloading and they are less then 29 characters right? Thoth doesn't decode everything and X doesn't like long file names.
You're dead wrong there, KidRed. Thoth does Yenc, UU and binhex, and OSX has 255 character filenames.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
You're dead wrong there, KidRed. Thoth does Yenc, UU and binhex, and OSX has 255 character filenames.
I'm not dead wrong. Thoth (unless added support recently) does not support yenc articles in my exprerience. The endings on the file name "filename.avi"yEnc never amount to more then a text document for me because Thoth can't see the extension behind the "yEnc. And while X may support 255 characters, files often get truncated from Thoth causing them to loose their file extension and default to text documents which what I pointed out to the thread starter why he may not be finding his downloads.

Thanks.

engaged
Jan 6, 2003, 02:30 PM

Thoth certainly does support YEnc, and more robustly and reliably than any other newsreader I've come across - that's why I coughed up the cash and registered. Hogwasher is indeed good, but expensive.

Anyway, back to the main issue...

Artwork - I really don't know what to suggest. Thoth worked (for me) using just about the default settings, and it's only through using it more that I've started to play around with them. Thoth will do all the decoding for you and place the MP3's and smut pictures in a folder of your choice. Perhaps worth trashing your Thoth prefs and starting again with the default?

Don't know much about long file names, but certainly never had a problem with Thoth.

Hope you get it working okay, and are happy with your purchase. Sorry I can't add anything more constructive.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
Thoth certainly does support YEnc, and more robustly and reliably than any other newsreader I've come across - that's why I coughed up the cash and registered. Hogwasher is indeed good, but expensive.

Anyway, back to the main issue...

Artwork - I really don't know what to suggest. Thoth worked (for me) using just about the default settings, and it's only through using it more that I've started to play around with them. Thoth will do all the decoding for you and place the MP3's and smut pictures in a folder of your choice. Perhaps worth trashing your Thoth prefs and starting again with the default?

Don't know much about long file names, but certainly never had a problem with Thoth.

Hope you get it working okay, and are happy with your purchase. Sorry I can't add anything more constructive.
Was this supoort added recently? Version 1.2.2 has never successfully downloaded a yenc file to date.

engaged
Jan 6, 2003, 05:07 PM

That explains it, latest is 1.5.10...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 08:26 PM

Ah, then I should upgrade Hope it's a free upgrade, because Hogwash is nice but a tad expensive for what it does.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 09:31 PM

Can thoth download parts of a binary over time so that you can download, for instance, episodes of TV series that generally aren't all on the server at any one time?

Forum Links
Forum Rules