Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Al book first day review!

Al book first day review!
yticolev
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 10:17 PM

I have owned the new Al 1.25 for 24 hours now and have been able to use it for about three hours. I also own an original Ti500 that I have owned for two and a half years running OS9 almost exclusively. All the comparisons will be between these two. Both have 512 RAM.

I have been reading all the threads on the new PowerBook since they were announced and will try to address a few questions that have come up. And I will be happy to answer questions but will not be able to run benchmarks (although I have my own crude one below). But be aware that I am a very new OSX user so you will have to give me very specific instructions if we are playing with the terminal (I don’t even know where it is) or other OSX functions.

Fit and finish is superb. Looking very closely, one can see a slight warp to the lid when closed. But you have to look closely and it otherwise looks like Honda level fit. The keys do not touch the screen (boy am I glad that is done). Lid closure is a little different from my Ti, you have to hold it closed for just a fraction of a second for the latch to hold. No big deal, just different. There is a bit of spring-loaded movement to the lid when closed as designed. When opening the lid, it springs open half an inch to make it easy to open fully. The latch button itself is much easier to depress than my Ti as it is not recessed. As someone else noted, the lid does not open as far as the Ti. About 135 versus 170 degree included angle.

Someone else noted that the screen looks oversquare compared to the Ti and wondered if the screen size was the same. I believe that it is mostly perception due to wider borders and the drop down hinge. However, my screen is a sixteenth of an inch narrower than my Ti, height is identical.

The Al is noticeably larger in all dimensions. And I can feel the weight difference while one handing it about. (My Ti does not have an Airport card installed). Nice finish, finger prints do show up though with a dusty look. Much more solid feel than my Ti.

I purchased the Al in the New Hampshire Apple Store with an EDU discount, no sales tax, and $300 rebate with an iPod and printer. I opened it in store to check for screen defects. There were none, pixel perfect! I was able to easily connect to their Airport network and downloaded Fruitmenu and Windowshade X to give myself a bit of OS9 experience. Great store and staff experience!

Starting it up was a little disconcerting because there is 15 seconds or so where nothing seems to be happening.

The screen is much brighter than my two and a half year old Ti. The resolution is a little higher reducing font sizes but I find for what ever reason (of which I think brightness is the major one) that I can read it easier. I often enlarge the size in IE to read a page. I opened a blank IE page on both laptops – the Al had a blue cast and the Ti a yellow cast. The screen dims slightly after a couple of minutes of disuse no matter what the energy settings. And after being off, it takes 20 seconds to reach full brightness.

Subjectively, the Al in is way faster that the Ti in 9 in common inputs and actions. Dare I say snappy? Window open and draw apparently instantly, menus drop down now! This update feels much bigger than the one where I moved from my three year old PowerBook 3400 running 8.6 to the Ti. In some ways the Ti was actually slower. Menus were never as fast as 8.6 for example. This is by far the fastest computer I have ever used. Feels fine in OSX where OSX was slow on my Ti.

I purchased Quicken 2004 with the Al and installed it. The one benchmark that I notice (I am not a power user by any stretch) is using Quicken to graph my net worth for the last 8 years. Thirty seconds on the Al, fifty seconds on the Ti, almost three minutes on the 3400! So despite my subjective feeling about this update, in computer power it is not as great as my last PowerBook transition. WindowShading this graph window resulted in a redraw that took almost a second on the 3400, about a quarter second on the Ti, and instant on the Al.

Now this benchmark is not very good because it clearly shows that Quicken is a poorly written application. Adding and graphing a net worth should not take this kind of time.

I conditioned the battery last night and tonight I woke it up and unplugged it. Bluetooth and Airport off, screen full bright, playing on the Internet, while transferring about 10 gigs target disk mode from my Ti, and installing Quicken and OfficeX, and one reboot due to a crashed finder (something to due with the firewire transfer), I got 2 hours and 13 minutes to the warning dialog. I routinely got close to four hours on my Ti. In fact, I seldom had it plugged in while I was using it.

There is some hope of course that things will get somewhat better with Panther and the Ti battery did get 40% more power density over three years but bottom line is that the Al is going to have to be plugged in a lot more.

My Ti gets hot! I have to hold between my knees by the edges a lot. And the fan comes on a lot, especially now that all four rubber feet hit the road. The Al was barely warm the whole time I was testing the battery (I wear shorts). It is hotter now with it plugged in and the battery charging. But I have not felt any need to move it off my thighs. The fan did come on once for only thirty seconds. (!) And much quieter than my Ti. There was a little clunk when the fan turned off.

I am living in a very quiet house in the country. The hard drive is barely discernable. I can occasionally hear the head move with a pleasant metallic ting. Most hard drives seem to make gronking and clicking kind of noises. Cannot hear this one at all with quiet music playing. The CD drive on the other hand, may make more noise than my Ti. But it has a bigger buffer (?) because it does not spin up as much.

I cannot hear the popping noise when the audio turns on after a time out while on battery. But there is a delay for the sound for sure. None while plugged in.

The trackpad is not as smooth surfaced as the Ti. But I think I will not notice it after a while. There is an “Ignore accidental trackpad input” option in the Trackpad control panel which is good for typing, but I notice that I have to hit the trackpad harder for clicking. Not sure yet which way I like it.

I like the keyboard a lot. And I like the backlighting. Unlike most who have voiced an opinion here, I will actually be able to use it in a very limited way. Mostly in bed where I cannot touch type lying down.

That is about my whole story to date. I like my new PowerBook a lot. OSX will take some getting used to but I do like the productivity gains if not the interface. I would have preferred to wait three months until Panther was preinstalled (seems more Classic like) but the deal this week with my proximity to tax free shopping and the rebate that expires Saturday was too much to pass up.

My biggest problem to date is that X does not recognize the PC card that I use to hook up the cell phone that is my primary internet access. Otherwise I would have migrated some time ago. I would like a Bluetooth phone of course but Verizon has very limited options. And I have a year left on my contract.

MacB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 10:31 PM

Thanks alot for your in depth analysis, I was wondering how you liked surfing with it.....is there a big speed bump compared to what you are used to? I hear that screen is sharp as hell.....

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 10:37 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing such in-depth information. Congrats on your new PowerBook.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:06 PM

fantastic review. we all really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out when admiring your new purchase.

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:06 PM

Your post is exactly the kind of information I have been looking for for the past week - an in depth evaluation of everyday use. I and many others thank you.

(maybe macnn will post this on their news page)

Most of my questions about the AlBook have been answered (the only thing left is game performance, and I'll know that answer by thursday).

So, again, thanks!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:13 PM

Haha. . . about your networth taking so long to draw. . . Maybe you are just very rich.

THanks for the review.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:15 PM

excellent!

question on the rebate ... i know we had to purchase by 9/27 ... and i don't have the paperwork with me, but when is the deadline for sending it in?

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:34 PM

They told me to ORDER by the 27th--no need to receive it by then--and then you have a while to actually mail it. Look at the fine print on the PDF coupon, but I think you have at least a month cushion.
nagromme

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:39 PM

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to report.

If you're fairly new to OS X, BTW, definitely check out Safari and Camino . Both are far superior to IE.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
They told me to ORDER by the 27th--no need to receive it by then--and then you have a while to actually mail it. Look at the fine print on the PDF coupon, but I think you have at least a month cushion.
ah, cool.

are you sure on the order it part though? i think the PDF says something to the effect that you 'have to have possession' by 9/27 (showing on your invoice) to get the rebate -- which is why i went into the store vs. purchasing online ...

macndave
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by yticolev:
I have owned the new Al 1.25 for 24 hours now and have been able to use it for about three hours. ...My biggest problem to date is that X does not recognize the PC card that I use to hook up the cell phone that is my primary internet access. Otherwise I would have migrated some time ago. I would like a Bluetooth phone of course but Verizon has very limited options. And I have a year left on my contract.
Excellent review. I don't know what impresses me the most: the level of detail of your review or that you use a cell phone as you primary internet access! Can you tell us more about using your cell phone to access the internet with your new PowerBook. What model phone and the such. I've used my SonyEricsson T68i's bluetooth capability to access the internet. It worked very well, but it was prohibitively expensive.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

yticolev  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 06:10 AM

Surfing? I don't notice any difference except that that brower hanging (doesn't happen on network connections) doesn't stop me from doing other things on my computer while waiting. I am enjoying Safari, I actually like the tabs - the no bottom border is hard to get used to - but as I am addicted to the scrapbook feature of IE, I'll have to use it most of the time.

I mostly hook up with my cell phone, but occasionally take the Book to work for serious browsing on the network. And sometimes, like now, I am staying in a place with a landline and piggyback my sister's Earthlink.

I have gone through four models of Samsung now, first with Sprint and now Verizon (a T-300 right now). I like their phones, but am also trying to save a few bucks on data cables. Sprint has good service and their 2.5 G is apparently the best. But their customer service sucks. I may still go back just for data access. T-mobile is tempting for the cool phones and Bluetooth but they have limited GPRS and service coverage from what I read (I move every three months), and some friends I have with the service have lousy voice quality. I'll probably start looking on ebay for an older BT phone for Verizon.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 06:18 AM

i live in on the west coast of florida and ATT WIRELESS has the most options here. Sprint has NO blue-tooth phones according to their website and the gal i spoke with on the phone.

My question is: when using blue tooth with the cell phone... what is the cost structure... how does the phone work/does it have to call a number or does the computer make it connect to the internet SOME OTEHR WAY through the cell phone? i do NOT mean to be so dumb about this matter but i can find NOTHING on the internet to help better explain this to me. i am eager to use the blue tooth cell phone function... i will also have a t-mobile HOTSPOT contract for $29.95/month (1 year contract) to use the computer at local Starbucks and Borders but that is a lot of money for very limited use.

just wondering if someone can educate me about Blue Tooth and cell phones....

thanks in advance

greg

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the review, yticolev!

I too moved from a Rev. A 500Ti to the 15" Superdrive Alu.

The screen is just a thousand times better than the Ti. Definitely much brighter. The hard drive is very quiet, I have to put my ear to the case in order to hear it. I do live in a noisier area though.

As far as games go, I played a little bit with NeverWinter Nights at 1280x854 (native) resolution, with the graphics set a little higher than the default settings. The graphics are beautiful! Spinning around with the camera was glitch free, transparent smoke from the torches was smooth and real-looking. There was very little "tearing" of the picture when you caused the world to scroll around the screen.

Overall, I was very impressed although I haven't had much time to play since I have so much homework to do!

Some of the huge benefits over the Ti500 for me were the following:

Support for QE <-- This is a huge performance boost. The Ti used the CPU for Quartz.

Denser HD & ATA100 vs. ATA66 <-- Another biggie. I have the stock model so I'm comparing 4200 RPMs to 4200 RPMs, but the denser platters increase overall data transfer speed.

Temperature <-- The Alu is much cooler, and like yticolev said, the fan is super quiet compared to the Ti. I don't know if the fan is 2 speed or not, but if it is, I still haven't had it kick into high gear.

DVD-R/CD-R <-- The 500Ti had a read-only drive. Very annoying to not be able to get data out of the laptop if there was no network available. Now I can burn it. Very important when you want to share files with other people and you're on the go.

Overall build quality <-- Again, the Alu is much more sturdier in feel and fit / finish. My Ti's lower casing never seemed to fit right. If you've owned a Ti you know what I'm talking about, the lip right below the slot-loading drive that never sat flush with that little plastic strip. That's been fixed because the bottom of the Alu case comes all the way up to the lip around the keyboard area. It isn't split into two pieces.

The fact that I no longer need a screen protector is good as well. Also, the case doesn't flex if you pick it up by one corner. On my Ti, I could lift the front corner by the DVD drive about 1/8" or so and the rest of the case would "bend". The Alu is much stiffer.

Overall I'm very pleased with this upgrade. I haven't owned any Ti's other than Rev. A so some of the weaknesses may have been fixed with later generations of the Ti, but the Alu seems be the next step beyond the Ti, with the better built screen hinge and more solid construction, etc.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by spalding12:
i live in on the west coast of florida and ATT WIRELESS has the most options here. Sprint has NO blue-tooth phones according to their website and the gal i spoke with on the phone.

My question is: when using blue tooth with the cell phone... what is the cost structure... how does the phone work/does it have to call a number or does the computer make it connect to the internet SOME OTEHR WAY through the cell phone? i do NOT mean to be so dumb about this matter but i can find NOTHING on the internet to help better explain this to me. i am eager to use the blue tooth cell phone function... i will also have a t-mobile HOTSPOT contract for $29.95/month (1 year contract) to use the computer at local Starbucks and Borders but that is a lot of money for very limited use.

just wondering if someone can educate me about Blue Tooth and cell phones....

thanks in advance

greg
Hey Greg...currently Bluetooth phones are only available to the GSM providers. (Cingular, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc) (There is a really old Motorola bluetooth phone for CDMA providers (Verizon, Sprint), though, but it does not support their high speed data. The T608 from Sony Ericsson is ready to be released on Sprint's network, but keep checking Howard Forums for the latest on that phone)

All of the Bluetooth GSM phones that I have seen are either a "class 6 or class 8" device. That means that they can download either 3 channels (class 6) or 4 channels at once. Both can upload only one channel at a time. Each channel can roughly support 9600 to 14.4kbps. (Data cards give you all sorts of options, but have a total of 8 channels they can "speak" on at once.)

Unless you use T-Mobiles $30/month unlimited data, then data is *really* expensive. Most other providers charge from $80 to $100 for unlimited data, and some don't even give you that option.

So, it is cool to have a bluetooth phone as an emergency backup to your primary internet connection, but unless you have lots of money, it will be expensive. It will also feel like dial-up speeds.

yticolev  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:09 AM

Bluetooth should work just like any other connection mode, you direct the computer to use it with Internet connect (PPP). You will have to have modem script - this will actually instruct the computer to bypass the modem (not needed as the flow is already digital) and dial out on your phone. Both Sprint and Verizon have a built in ISP, both interestingly enough use #777 for access, much better to use over a dialup. Both are faster in some ways than a dialup, even at the 14.4 that I use. With both, I can dial in, upload and download my mail and stock quotes in less than 30 seconds (I don't get that much mail).

With both Sprint and Verizon, data at 14.4 costs only minutes used and free during unlimited times, after 9pm and weekends for both. AT&T and T-Mobile charge by the kilobyte, somewhere around 5 cents per email equivilant. If you want fast access, Sprint is the way to go. A bit higher monthly charges, still just minutes used (they did change their TOS to reflect this a couple of months ago). Verizon needs prepay by the meg.

There is a current Verizon Bluetooth phone, I believe it is the Motorola T720. An older phone that I am looking to buy on ebay is the 270c. It requires a different battery to enable Bluetooth, a $100 option. I may just stay with a cable for the time being.

And like smitty825 said, there is an Erickson that may be released for Sprint that is CDMA. I am hoping that it will be released for Verizon as well but if it does come out, I may have to switch to Sprint. Looks like a truly great phone!

I forgot to mention that my Ti500 had a pre hydralic bearing 5400 Travelstar installed by the dealer when I bought it. Similar noise to the stock one from what I read though so my noise comments should be accurate.

jindrich
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:53 AM

yticolev,
congratulations and thank you very much for your detailed review.

I'm an owner of a ti550 and think following same path as you, but still are unconfident on certain aspects of the new alus that so much bother me in the old Tis.
So, can you report back commenting on the following:

-overall heat doing normal/intensive work, and how can you handle the computer with shorts
-fan usage and overall noise volume
-watch a dvd and play some game and report on the above matters
-battery life on real world usage

thanks in advance.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 11:16 AM

wow
thanks for that incredible education
i really appreciate all that info
this forum is terrific
thanks again

greg

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 01:06 PM

I am enjoying Safari, I actually like the tabs - the no bottom border is hard to get used to - but as I am addicted to the scrapbook feature of IE, I'll have to use it most of the time.
Just a bit OT:

You can turn on the Status Bar from the View menu (also command-\) to see link and page loading information at the bottom.

The downside of Scrapbook in IE -- just as a friendly cautionary warning -- is that it's a proprietary format and ties you to IE. This will become something as a problem as IE for the Mac is a dead browser; it will no longer be updated by MS.

Personally, I end up "printing" to PDF online articles that I want to keep, or read offline. This works pretty well (for me, anyway)... and it looks like the experience of reading and using PDF files is only going to get better with Panther.

DZimmerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 01:38 PM

As I arrived home last night my pb was waiting for me and all I can say is "wow". I had it on for about 2 hours and it did not even come close to the skin melting heat from the 15" ti. In fact I dont recall even hearing a fan come on. Eventhough I have not had a chance to thoroughly test it, I am very impressed thus far. The six month wait was quite worth it.

yticolev  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 01:39 PM

Thanks lookmark, I hadn't thought of printing to PDF. Does it preserve links? I saw a Wintel friend save a web page to Word, edit it easily, and then print. Does that work on the Mac?

Jindrich, I am sorry, I don't own a DVD to try although I guess I could make one. Apple included one blank DVD-R with my laptop. And I don't play any games but there are other threads that have addressed gaming performance. Your other questions were all answered in my initial post.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 03:16 PM

Thanks lookmark, I hadn't thought of printing to PDF. Does it preserve links?
Alas, Jaguar doesn't preserve URLs when saving to PDF. The good news is that Panther will.

I saw a Wintel friend save a web page to Word, edit it easily, and then print. Does that work on the Mac?
Well, MS's Word document format (.doc) is just a container format, and can (and these days does) contain just about anything.

So yes. I believe Word:mac can do this, using the "Open a Web page" option from the File menu.

I can also think of two other ways to do this, w/o Word:

(1) export to PDF, use the full version of Acrobat to edit, then print.

(2) use a program like SiteSucker to download the page(s) with HTML and images, edit the page with a lightweight HTML editor (HyperEdit, Freeway, or even TextEdit for simple pages), then print.

OK, back to your scheduled topic.
( Last edited by lookmark; Sep 24, 2003 at 03:33 PM. )

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 04:17 PM

I'm posting from my new Alubook. Hooray.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 05:07 PM

Chemmy: Congrats. Man, it must be nice.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 05:29 PM

I received my new PowerBook yesterday, and I wrote an impression of it on the AppleInsider forum. But I will copy and paste it here:

kay, so the new 15-inch PowerBook arrived today.

I've been using it for about the last hour+, installing applications, and the like. It's a little warm at the moment; noticably moreso than the Ti867 that I'm replacing it with. But again, it's warm -- not hot, not scorching.

The backlit display is very good. It seems brighter than the one on my friend's Rev. A 17-inch. I haven't installed the 10.2.8 because I hear that there may be issues with the brightness of the backlit display and battery life. It had about 1:20 charge remaining, so I have since drained it to sleep, and now on the power adapter recharging (calibrating) the battery.

Back to the keyboard. Typing-wise, it's much better than the Ti. A good solid feel. I no longer feel as though I'm going to pop the keys off like I got with the Ti and iBook.

The SuperDrive is loud. Louder than the one in my TiBook. Loud when you wake up the PowerBook, loud when you insert media. It could be the shell of the PB that's the cause.

The end of the PowerBook where my wrists rest is not rounded off and sharper. It leaves a mark on the bottom of my arms/wrists. Slightly annoying. Of couse, I'm not used to it.

I'm also not used to ports on the side. I took some pictures, and reflexively grabbed the screen to pull it forward to reach around back. But the side ports are much better. Less fumbling, in my opinion.

The speakers are louded and more fuller sounding than on the Ti, but it seems slightly biased to the left. It's probably me. You can hear the midrange speaker through the back of the unit where there are vents behind the keyboard. It reflects off the screen.

It's still got the factory 2x256 RAM modules. I'll probably bump it up when the 1 stick of 1 GB DDR memory is not only available, but cheaper than the prices I've seen.

I feel good about the screen. It's bright, sharp, and as good as the previous Ti, and it doesn't have any dead pixels. It doesn't have the blue bias that plagued the early DVI Ti models I owned that drove me bonkers.

The hard drive is marketed as an 80 GB HD, but it is not really 80 GB. It says capacity is 74 GB, of which, I've already filled 6 GB apparently, cause it now says 68 GB available.

I have read about lousy latches on the 15-inch (and 17-inch), but I must be lucky because mine is perfect, at least the few times I have closed it.

That's about all I can muster at this time, if you have any questions, please ask me here in the forum.

UPDATE: Scrolling seems to be better than on the Ti867. I don't know if it's the Radeon 9600, but when I try iTunes I get between 58-63 frames per second (after I take the frame rate cap off). Also, in so doing, the fan has kicked in. It's quieter than I'm used to with the Ti, but it makes a sort of soft fluttering sound. Oh, as I type it just turned off. The piece of aluminum about the function keys is much warmer than the space where my wrists are resting.
I will also note that the right side creeks near the SuperDrive when may hand it on it. Sounds like the frame touching the frame of the SuperDrive.

The screen is nice and bright and to reiterate the keyboard is such a pleasure to use.

Lastly, I just want to add that the heat output seems to vary dependant on where you place your PowerBook (the surface that it is on). It seems to be hotter on this wood desk than it does on the formica-ish desk I use at work. It hasn't felt this warm since I used it on this wood desk, which was last night.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2003, 05:46 PM

Regarding Bluetooh and Sprint... I have a Treo 300, and have been considering switching providers just so I can get BT enabled phone.

I have recently learned that Sprint will be selling a Sony Ericsson phone that will be BT enabled. It is not a phone sold anywhere else, so don't expect it to be that cool black and silver deal with the camera.

The Treo 600 should be out within a month and it has an expansion slot that you could drop a BT card into.

So I guess I'm waiting to see these two phones, and if I don't like either one then I'll leave Sprint.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 11:52 PM

I have sprint vision a sanyo phone and USB connector I purchased directly from sanyo's website (sprint will not sell the cord becasuse they know that it offers you unlimited sufring at no extra charge).

I can surf at twice the speed of a 55K landline modem.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 12:21 AM

Hmm I also upgraded from a 3400 to a Ti/500.

I wonder if I should upgrade to the Al book also... currently I think the Ti is serving me extrememly well, and that the performance increase doesn't seem like it would be that drastic (with the exception of the video card upgrade, which is very significant).

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by PBG4 User:
Thanks for the review, yticolev!

The fact that I no longer need a screen protector is good as well. Also, the case doesn't flex if you pick it up by one corner. On my Ti, I could lift the front corner by the DVD drive about 1/8" or so and the rest of the case would "bend". The Alu is much stiffer.
Why don't you need a screen protector anymore?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Why don't you need a screen protector anymore?
Probably because the screen of the AlBooks doesn't touch the keys on the keyboard when closed like the Ti's screen did.
•

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Probably because the screen of the AlBooks doesn't touch the keys on the keyboard when closed like the Ti's screen did.
Mr. Obvious strikes again.

I mean is there something on the screen that is holding it up now? Or it just doesn't close as tight?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2003, 03:45 AM

Mr. Obvious strikes again.

I mean is there something on the screen that is holding it up now? Or it just doesn't close as tight?
Duh.

The Al keyboards are not user-removable. They can be mounted lower than the Ti's (they are actually sitting in a little trough if you take look), thus the keys don't stick out that far. At the same time there are little rubber(?) feet at the top of the screen as this Apple pic will show you.

How's that for obvious?
•

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Duh.

The Al keyboards are not user-removable. They can be mounted lower than the Ti's (they are actually sitting in a little trough if you take look), thus the keys don't stick out that far. At the same time there are little rubber(?) feet at the top of the screen as this Apple pic will show you.

How's that for obvious?
Thanks.

I was looking at mine, that I just picked up. And it looks like there is still a pretty tight fit. But I do notice that the keyboard is reccessed a bit though. And my LCD is a bit warped, so those little rubber (plastic) feet you are talking about doesn't actually touch the bottom.

Just another question, does Apple still give iLife for free? Because I didn't get any CDs or DVDs w/ my PB. I am trying to find out where I could get iDVD.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 05:58 PM

There should be a single DVD with the 15".This allows you to start up and reinstall everything. It will install all the iLife apps also. Look in your Applications folder, you should have an iDVD 3 folder in there already.

Thanks.

I was looking at mine, that I just picked up. And it looks like there is still a pretty tight fit. But I do notice that the keyboard is reccessed a bit though. And my LCD is a bit warped, so those little rubber (plastic) feet you are talking about doesn't actually touch the bottom.

Just another question, does Apple still give iLife for free? Because I didn't get any CDs or DVDs w/ my PB. I am trying to find out where I could get iDVD.

beefstu01
Sep 25, 2003, 06:10 PM

Right now I'm actually typing on my new Al15, and all I can say is wow. Stuff opens really quckly, the keyboard is quite responsive, the backlit keyboard is kinda cool, but probably not that useful (it really fades out around the function keys), but I must say, that this laptop rocks, pure and simple. Very snappy, very quick. The battery life leaves something to be desired (about 2:30 for me, but then again, I wasn't going easy either), but you can get used to it. The sound, for a laptop, is superb, I am very impressed. Granted that I'll be hooking this sucker up to my home stereo, but still, I'm listening to radio on it and it's just fine.

My annoyances ->
Well, they keyboard, first. I mean, it's fine for typing and stuff, but I don't know, the keys don't seem to have enough "pop" in them. I'll probaby get used to that though. The battery isn't 100% flush with the bottom, but that's barely noticable. My last complaint comes from the little vent thingys on the side. They don't seem to be filed, so when you move the laptop, it catches on your pants.

Overall, though, I love this laptop and look foward to using it extensively in college. Rock on... (the games are coming too!!!)

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
There should be a single DVD with the 15".This allows you to start up and reinstall everything. It will install all the iLife apps also. Look in your Applications folder, you should have an iDVD 3 folder in there already.
Oh, I didn't know it was included on the DVD, I thought that was just OS X. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules