Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" AL owners +Brenthaven bags

15" AL owners +Brenthaven bags
Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 02:56 AM

I want to know if there are any 15" AL owners who use Brenthaven bags. I would like to know what you opinion is as far as fit is concerned and any opinions you may have.

I went to the Apple store in Glendale, Ca today shopping for a bag and was impressed by the brenthavens. I tried to place a 15" display model in the bags but since they have a security cord it was not possible. I looked at the "Professional 15 backpack" model and a 15" briefcase topload model. These bags have sleeves inside that are detachable and depending on the model are either vertical or horizontal loaded.

Since these were designed for the titaniums I wonder if the fit is too snug for the aluminum.

I am posting this apart from the "bag" sticky thread since its a specific question for a specific product. Thanks.

PS. One other thing I noticed about the backpack is that the sleeve is velcroed near the top of the bag. This seems to make taking out the PB difficult since you have to fold the backpack away from the sleeve in order to take the PB out. Any comments?
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 04:06 AM

hi, i just got one of the top load ones and i'm going to return it. i didn't get to try it out in the store, but i figured since it said 15", i'd be cool. well, it was made with the TI in mind, so when i put the AL in it, i feel like i'm forcing it. it's a really really tight fit. i like this bag alot aside from the tight fit. since the sleeve it goes into can be taken out, hopefully brenthaven will soon have one tailor made for the AL.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 02:29 PM

I called Brenthaven about this exact issue - they said that the tight fit was intentional and they weren't going to release an Al-specific version of the bag.

They assured me that while it may seem a tight fit at first, the foam gradually expands a bit, and it gets much easier to get the 'Book in.

I have the Brenthaven shoulder bag, and I've found that the phone person was exactly correct. It seemed too tight at first, but now it's just fine. It's definitely a tight fit, but you feel like the 'Book is very secure as a result.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 02:57 PM

well that's good to hear. i thought it might expand with time, but i feel like i'm going to mess up my powerbook while it's still in the tight stage. (i have some tiny white spots and don't want to stress them to grow). i guess i could just put something else in there to stretch it out at first.

does anyone know of any shoulder/top loading bags that are as solid as the brenthavens?

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 03:38 PM

I wonder if getting the 17" version of the brenthaven would be a solution? Is anyone using the larger bags for their 15" powerbook?
I forgot to mention that while at the store I was able to get the 15" parially inside the topload brenthaven and it was too tight, I stopped trying because of that.

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 03:53 PM

Timbuk2 bags are awesome!!

www.timbuk2.com
-nate

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Timbuk2 bags are awesome!!

www.timbuk2.com
They are but I prefer the "low-keyness" of the brenthavens. The other bags out there (bags that have the same level of protection as the BHs) are too colorful for my taste.

One thing I also noticed at the Apple store: The "Kensington Saddlebag with Apple Logo" has what appears to be a design flaw (IMO). The handle has two grommets that poke out of the flap that directly covers your PB once inside its compartment. These grommets are covered by two cheap black "fabric" stickers that were obviously placed there to hide the flaw. I found it easy to peel them back and expose the metal. So be careful for hidden surprises when shopping for bags.

The Brenthaven is currently my favorite right now. Me thinks me will go and purchase the 15" Backpack. Will report later. I'm out.
( Last edited by Sandbaggins; Oct 12, 2003 at 04:50 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 04:32 PM

You may want to look at the Tenba traveler. Similar low key look as Brenthaven. Rock solid very safe sleeve insert. Plus the back pack attachment makes it change from a business type bag to a backpack. It is also expandable from 4" to 7" in depth so that it works as a smaller bag but also can expand to work like a larger bag. The strap when it is used messenger bag style is not as nice as the Brenthaven. I am thinking about using their strap as a repacement. But backpack attachment and handle are quite nice.

]www.tenba.com[/URL]

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 06:16 PM

My Titanium Backpack worked great for my TiBook and works just as well for my AlBook. It goes with me everywhere...and I have had no problems
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
My Titanium Backpack worked great for my TiBook and works just as well for my AlBook. It goes with me everywhere...and I have had no problems
So your al fits in with no problems? No bulging etc. I'm at the apple store trying to decide between the 15" and 17" backpack for my 15" al pb (lotsa "). I went to some other stores like eddie bauer and some luggage shop but they all seem overpriced and flimsy for what you pay. I'm prob going to get a brenthaven backpack. Any other comments Filmmaker2000?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2003, 10:17 PM

I bought the 15inch shoulder bag before I got my AlBook, and have had no problems with it. It was a bit tight as first, but it sits fine now, and I feel this is a good thing, since the laptop can't rattle around inside the case.

Only thing I don't like about the bag is the bulk. I really have no need for all the storage it has in it, and might have been better served by a smaller bag. The pullout section is nice, but without a place to put the power adaptor, it is rarley removed from the bag.
<This space under renovation>

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
So your al fits in with no problems? No bulging etc. I'm at the apple store trying to decide between the 15" and 17" backpack for my 15" al pb (lotsa "). I went to some other stores like eddie bauer and some luggage shop but they all seem overpriced and flimsy for what you pay. I'm prob going to get a brenthaven backpack. Any other comments Filmmaker2000?
No other comments other than it's the BEST bag I've ever owned. I traveled through Europe with it for a month. Fit all my gear (iPod, cell phone, Titanium PB, digital camera, batteries, maps, PDA, etc.) I'm taking it for three weeks to Italy with me. 15" fits snuggly in it, which is good because it keeps it from jiggling around. VERY comfortable when fully loaded, just solid black...no design or crazy patterns or anything like that. Just like Apple, clean and simple...dare I say refined. Love it!

chwbauer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 11:00 PM

I have the Brenthaven backpack for the 15' model and it works very well with the AlBook. Not problems whatsoever.
Christian

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 11:27 PM

Hey guys I bought the 15" Brenthaven Backpack. I looked at the 17" and it was just too big for my 15" Al. It seems that the sleeve in the backpack models are more spacious than the shoulder topload models. In the topload model the fit was way too tight.

The backpack is really well made. I will post a review later.

Thanks for all the tips and feedback on the fit.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 11:37 PM

Congrats and enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules