Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Belkin Media Reader vs. 2.2 Gig Magicstor CF Microdrive

New Belkin Media Reader vs. 2.2 Gig Magicstor CF Microdrive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 09:52 AM

What are your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of New Belkin Media Reader vs. 2.2 Gig Magicstor CF Microdrive for use in taking digital
photos on a trip when you will not have a computer on hand? The media reader costs about $100 the microdrive about $220.

Size, vs. convenience vs. reliability?

Any info on speed from flash card to media reader and speed from media reader to computer?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 01:24 PM

- microdrive is much slower than a standard CF card
- microdrive drains the camera's battery much faster than a standard CF card
- microdrive has moving parts, is thus more delicate and fragile than a standard CF card
- not all cameras accept type 2 CF cards (although pretty much any prosumer/professional camera will)

not to mention that the iPod holds up to ~20 times the amount of that microdrive. I'd definitely stick with a 128/256mb CF card and the belkin reader.

"I start fires!"

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 02:03 PM

What maxpower said, plus the fact that for the $220 cost of the Microdrive, you could buy 2 GB worth of compact flash cards and save yourself the trouble of the extra device. Check here for daily CF deals: dealmac.com

If you already have an iPod, the new reader seems a much better and cost-effective option. My only complaint is that you can't bypass the iPod and plug it straight into a Mac. Sometimes I might not have the iPod with me, or I might not want to bother with it.

clf8
Oct 19, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
My only complaint is that you can't bypass the iPod and plug it straight into a Mac. Sometimes I might not have the iPod with me, or I might not want to bother with it.
Ummm, why not just plug the camera into your mac directly, since that cable is a lot smaller to carry around than a card reader. True, it would be nice if it had a USB connection to let it plug into either.
-Flowers...

mbryda
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
- microdrive is much slower than a standard CF card
Not really. The microdrives are pretty much faster than CF cards, with the exception of some of the high speed 16x cards, but they are expensive.

- microdrive drains the camera's battery much faster than a standard CF card

They do have a higher drain on the batteries, but it's not that bad. I have a Minolta D7, which is hard on batteries, and a 1GB Microdrive and the battery drain is negligible.

- microdrive has moving parts, is thus more delicate and fragile than a standard CF card
True - they do require care, but are fairly robust.

I'd get another MD in a heartbeat. For how much I use my camera, it has been a great investment, even at the $240 I paid for my 1GB back in Jan.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by clf8:
Ummm, why not just plug the camera into your mac directly, since that cable is a lot smaller to carry around than a card reader. True, it would be nice if it had a USB connection to let it plug into either.
Firewire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules