Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any wheeled cases for 17" out there? can't find one

any wheeled cases for 17" out there? can't find one
alisonc
Dec 9, 2003, 09:10 AM

I have the Brenthaven 17" backpack which I totally love, but if I have to walk for more than 10 minutes with the full bag on my back it KILLS me. But I can't find an equivalent bag in terms of size, capacity, and quality in a rolling/wheeled variety. Does anybody know of one?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 10:41 AM

I am very close to buying one of these:

http://www.luggageonsale.com/swiss_a..._backpacks.htm

I saw one recently and they look super. But, I would love to hear from someone useing it for the 17". I wouldn't know which one to buy but I am leaning towards the 24".

What do you think?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 01:12 PM

Tenba has an adapter for their cases one provides a wheelie attachment and the other provides a back pack attachment.

If you call them you should be able to get bags at about 50% of suggested wholesale cost.

http://www.tenba.com/apple/powerbookg4_traveler.htm

http://www.tenba.com/apple/wheels.htm

alisonc  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 01:47 PM

The Tenba looks OK but the pack itself is not really exciting and having detachable wheels is not ideal. Plus, the bag fits the "PowerBook G4" (i.e. it was made before the PowerBook was available in 3 sizes, so I'm assuming it's made for the 15" model).

I also had a look at the Swiss Army bags but none are made for the 17" and they are SOOOOO expensive!

I wish Brenthaven would make a rolling bag especially for the 17"! But as it is, I think nobody does.

Has anyone checked out MacAlly's new line of bags? They look kind of cheap, but there's a wheeled case for the 17". I can't tell from the pictures but it might be kinda small (the whole point for me of getting wheels is to be able to put MORE stuff in the bag!).
( Last edited by alisonc; Dec 10, 2003 at 01:59 PM. )

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by alisonc:

I also had a look at the Swiss Army bags but none are made for the 17" and they are SOOOOO expensive

Yes, they are pricey, but I found this one on closeout: http://www.luggagebase.com/btc/produ...200000000&pn=1

You have to like that bright color - I do! I will report back when it arrives in a day of so and I have had a chance to wear and roll it around.....

alisonc  (op)
Dec 16, 2003, 11:41 PM

Podolsky—did you get the bag yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 09:06 AM

Sadly, it sits at home and I don't return until tomorrow night. I will let you know.

wg2499
Dec 17, 2003, 09:14 AM

I just saw this
http://www.macally.com/new/carrying_...w_cb_psrl.html
looks like what you requested at a decent price...
12" 867 PB 640 SD T68i REMOTE

alisonc  (op)
Dec 17, 2003, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I've looked at thoe Macally bags but am waiting to hear some first hand accounts. I must admit they look kinda cheap-o.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 06:13 PM

Got home, got the Swiss Army bag. Not surprising, it is very well made! I got it in a close out color - black and persimmon - neat shade of orange. It came with a detachable day pack. The main pack is a good size - 22" is actually pretty big. It will be okay for carry-on. It rolls and you can wear it too as a backpack. It holds my 17" PowerBook in its case with a lot of room for other items too. So, I think it will meet my goal of an all in one. I haven't traveled with it yet - but so far, I like it.

alisonc  (op)
Dec 19, 2003, 07:25 PM

OK, I found this Eagle Creek bag which looks PERFECT:

http://www.letravelstore.com/BF60092.htm

but when I checked it out on ebags.com they say it only fits laptops 14" wide—see here:

http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/poi...=17731&NDA=N-0

Eagle Creek describes the computer comprtment as a "Protect-It nest" and I'm wondering if it's removable or fixed or what. Does anyone have this bag or know if there's any way to get the 17" PB to fit in it?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 06:14 AM

The Swiss Army roller backpack bag I just bought for only $14 dollars more than this one is also only 14" wide and hold my 17" AND the Binh case it is stored in. So this should not be a problem but you should test it out at a store to be sure.

alisonc  (op)
Dec 21, 2003, 07:28 PM

Podolsky:
good point, yours is a really good deal. Can you answer 2 questions for me:
1. is there a computer compartment? If not, can I fit my 17" sleeve case in the front compartment, reserving the main compartment for clothes, etc.? (n.b. I would get the 20", not the 22" you got, which seems too big)
2. When the daypack is detached, does it look like it's missing something, i.e. empty buckles just hanging there? (I never plan to use the daypack attached)

thanks.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 12:08 AM

good point, yours is a really good deal. Can you answer 2 questions for me:
1. is there a computer compartment? If not, can I fit my 17" sleeve case in the front compartment, reserving the main compartment for clothes, etc.? (n.b. I would get the 20", not the 22" you got, which seems too big)
2. When the daypack is detached, does it look like it's missing something, i.e. empty buckles just hanging there? (I never plan to use the daypack attached)

thanks.
1. No, there is just one compartment. I keep my PB in a sleeve and it just fits in the 22" bag - I don't know if my setup would fit in the 20" also not sure if you can find the 20 in closeout price.
2. No, it actually looks better with it off and I don't plan on using attached either.
I am glad I got it as I really am impressed with the quality of the pack. It rolles great and I can't believe how comfortable it is as a backpack. I keep putting it in trying to find a flaw but it is a super backpack. So good that I ma going to buy one of their backpacks when I can find it for a good price. As an all in one solution it is really good. I hear the 22" can go as carryon but I also think you might get stopped too. The 20" would be sweet if it fit the 17" and I just can't say.

doof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 07:44 AM

STM make sleeves and bags specifically for Apple powerbooks, ibooks and iPods. I use a an 17in STM sleeve for my bigAl.

The STM "journey" is a suitcase on wheels and it has a padded section for 17in laptops.

http://www.standardtm.com.au/special_cases_journey.cfm

check it out!

alisonc  (op)
Dec 23, 2003, 09:21 AM

thanks, I checked it out and stm has quite a lot of stuff. the rolling backpack won't be out until next month but it looks promising.

I've ordered the Eagle Creek Wheeled Converter from ebags and will report on it when it arrives. If it doesn't turn out to be good I can return it for a refund and try something else.

alisonc  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 12:49 PM

Well, even though I took the precaution to call Eagle Creek before ordering the Wheeled Converter from ebags, and even though the rep went and measured the bag, compared the measurements I gave him of my 17", and assured me it would fit, it DOES NOT. And on top of that, I was so trusting of the guy's info that I paid for 2-day shipping. So what happens to be a really nice bag but whose computer pouch is WAY too small for the 17" will now be returned for a refund. ebags will refund the price for return shipping but not for original shipping, so I'm out $25. Thanks, Eagle Creek! And I didn't get the rep's name so I can hardly call them back and complain.

So if you have a 15" or smaller, the Wheeled Converter is a great rolling bag/backpack. But if you have a 17", fougeddaboudit.

Back to the drawing board....

HelloNateR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 02:55 AM

alisonc: Did you ever find the perfect wheeled case for your 17" PowerBook? I was just in a store today that sells the Swiss Army stuff. Tried to fit my 17" with the Brenthaven sleeve into the 20" rolling backpack. It's uncomfortably tight...meaning that it BARELY fits and is a hassle to get it to zip with the computer inside. The 22" seemed to work fine, but then again, it's only one compartment.

Podolsky: Are you still liking the 22" bag you bought? I almost bought one tonight, except that I found my Brenthaven bag more comfortable to wear as a backpack. The Brenthaven would be PERFECT if it had wheels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules