Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth Mice, Bluetake BT500 or Macally BTMouse Jr.?

Bluetooth Mice, Bluetake BT500 or Macally BTMouse Jr.?
Grayson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 06:51 AM

Which is the better travel and general use bluetooth mouse in everyone's opinion? I see the BlueTake BT500 gets great reviews on these forums but it does not appeal to me aesthetically. I like the look of the Macally BTMouse Jr. but read that it has a slow on-screen refresh rate. Any news on the MacMice bluetooth mouse? Thanks...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 07:09 AM

Welcome to MacNN!, I have no BT mouse so I can not give you advice, but I would like to have this BT ms mouse working under Mac OS X, AFAIK you can use it yet but there are some issues with the side buttons, they are, as in every mouse, ideal to use with Expos�.

About travel, that is the worst thing about that ms mouse family, they are HUGE !, why?, I don�t know, my ms wireless optical mouse sports a better size to travel with.

Grayson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the welcome angelmb! I have been a long time lurker here and just recently acquired my precioussss..... Uh, sorry, 12" Rev. C powerBook. Hate track pads and need something good for travel as well as general use.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 09:38 AM

the macmice is, according to their site, due in september...that's about a decade in computer years *sigh*

also considering the bt500; not beautiful but...

anyone else?

want to get rid of the wires (and usb-to-bluetooth adapter)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 10:25 AM

I know it may not be travel worthy, but I am picking up a MX900 asap. I might get the keyboard with it...

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 10:50 AM

I was going to get the BT500 (No, not pretty, but great performer), until this crossed my eyes. Now I'm on a hunt for a U.S. distributor. Unfortunately, I can't find one, and my optimism is decreasing.

http://www.bcommart.com/products/cel...oth_mouse.html
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 11:23 AM

If by aesthetically you mean the weird blue color, maybe this color version of the BT500 will suit you better. I know I like it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Gig103
Jul 6, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I know it may not be travel worthy, but I am picking up a MX900 asap. I might get the keyboard with it...

Check the forum, I was going to do this, but it sounds like some people have problems. I'm hoping that it gets settled. I was going to buy it from a store w/ a return policy just in case.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

t4r1q
Jul 6, 2004, 01:25 PM

The BT500 is just an ugly mouse...color, build, everything. I'd never buy it either.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
I was going to get the BT500 (No, not pretty, but great performer), until this crossed my eyes. Now I'm on a hunt for a U.S. distributor. Unfortunately, I can't find one, and my optimism is decreasing.

http://www.bcommart.com/products/cel...oth_mouse.html

there's a copyright date of 2002 on that page...(not that that means anything)

i'd like to check that mouse out as well.
if you find one, post here!

the macmice bt mouse looks good, but september is SO FAR AWAY...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 01:35 PM

The Bluetake mouse available via Radtech is a fine BT powerbook mouse. I purchased it because I was tired of waiting.

mpbritt
Jul 6, 2004, 03:17 PM

I've had the Macally BT mouse for about a week now, and I've been pretty happy with it. All I wanted was 2 buttons and a scroll wheel so the Logitech mouse was just overkill for me, not to mention waaaaay to expensive. There was just no way I was going to pay that much money for a mouse!

The Macally mouse does take some getting used to, since it tends to go into what I call low-power mode rather quickly. But now that I expect that it may take a split second for the cursor to move it is not annoying any longer. This may be a factor in all BT mice, though. I don't know.

I love the fact that I can just drop the mouse in my PB bag, with my 15" and go then when I get to the office/home just open the PB click the mouse button and it's ready to use. Very nice. I don't have any experience with any other BT mice, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt if you wish. For me the Macally mouse has been well worth the money I paid for it.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 04:03 PM

I'm also looking for a small Bluetooth mouse to carry in my case with my AluPB. The Logitech mice are nice, but too big and I already have a Logitech wireless trackball when I'm at my desk.

I don't really like the look of the BlueTake either, it reminds me of a bug. I like the MacAlly less because of the cheap-looking reflective silver plastic. My question is, has anyone heard or tried out the Kensington Pocket Mouse Bluetooth? I've liked Kensington mice in the past, and I much prefer the looks of this one to the others, although it costs a little more ($69) I only just noticed it on their website so I think it is new? It doesn't mention an on/off button (although the MacAlly doesn't mention one either) while the BlueTake does. Anybody with experience with this mouse or any takers!?!

http://www.kensington.com/html/5529.html

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 04:41 PM

the kensington DOES look nice, but...not much information on the website.
what's the resolution? what size batteries? does it have a power switch?

so, agree with the above poster: anyone using one??

mpbritt
Jul 6, 2004, 05:20 PM

The Macally mouse is not at all cheap looking or feeling. With the batteries in, it is quite substantial. The silver finish also nicely matches the finish of the PowerBooks.

There is no off button but it does turn itself off after about 5 minutes of non-use. All it takes is a button click to wake it up.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 05:32 PM

I have the microsoft bluetooth mouse as I have a large hand and can't stand the small mice that most people use on the road. Its an excellent mouse - good feel and response. Only two problems :-
1. no on/off switch. The mouse goes into sleep mode when not moved. Throwing it into a bag and then the natural movement that happens means the mouse almost never goes to sleep. To get over this I remove one of the batteries but this can be annoying.
2. the intellipoint driver doesn't recognise this mouse and therefore the 2 extra buttons don't work.

Apart from these two points I can recommend it.

As to the size question - you need to ask yourself how much are you going to use it? Thats why I bought a full-sized mouse.

Good luck - post back what you bought and what you think of it.
this sig intentionally left blank

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
1. no on/off switch. The mouse goes into sleep mode when not moved. Throwing it into a bag and then the natural movement that happens means the mouse almost never goes to sleep. To get over this I remove one of the batteries but this can be annoying.
Precisely the reason I'll get the Bluetake or the Apple mouse instead of the Macally.

A *travel* mouse without an on/off switch seems idiotic to me. A mouse that is designed to be tossed into a laptop bag should *not* wake up at the click of the mouse button. Dumb.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, here...)
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

pbarton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 06:22 PM

I just received the Kensington BT Pocketmouse today. It responds and tracks just as well as my wired Kensington Optical Elite and old wired Pocketmouse. (Using Kensington's Mouseworks software).

It uses 2 AA batteries (2 alkaline's included-but of course I'll be switching to rechargables).

It does NOT have an off button.

It does not show battery level in Apple's Keyboard & Mouse prefpane.

Unsure of how long batteries last. Will post when I know.

Feels great, tracks great, so far I am impressed.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 06:47 PM

I have the BT500 mouse, in the blue and silver. The silver matches my pBook perfectly it is almost the exact some look as my pBooks casing. The blue is metallic looking and looks much nicer in real than what you see on the web and that matches my Timberland laptop bag colour.

It paired up immediately with no problems at all for me.

For my part it's a great purchase and I highly recommend it.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 09:15 PM

I really liked my BT500 when I had it...Much nicer in person. Im gonna buy the white one soon.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by pbarton:
I just received the Kensington BT Pocketmouse today. It responds and tracks just as well as my wired Kensington Optical Elite and old wired Pocketmouse. (Using Kensington's Mouseworks software).

It uses 2 AA batteries (2 alkaline's included-but of course I'll be switching to rechargables).

It does NOT have an off button.

It does not show battery level in Apple's Keyboard & Mouse prefpane.

Unsure of how long batteries last. Will post when I know.

Feels great, tracks great, so far I am impressed.

does it power on when u wake from sleep? (and shut off when u go to sleep...)

pbarton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 09:36 PM

does it power on when u wake from sleep? (and shut off when u go to sleep...)
It goes to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity. A button click turns it back on.

When you put the computer to sleep, the connection is broken between the mouse and the computer. After you wake the computer, a button click turns the mouse back on and reconnects with the computer.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 11:43 PM

I have tossed my old external powerpoint device that was missing an on/off switch. I had to remove the batteries to put it away.

Whoever thought of a mobile mouse without an on/off switch?

Whatever I really wanted to know: is a wireless 'mouse' a 'hamster'?

Grayson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 06:05 AM

Considering the great reviews from multiple sources and the fact that it has an on/off switch and despite it's "ugly" appearance, I have ordered the BlueTake BT500 in blue from RadTech. The Kensington and MacAlly mice looked good but no on/off switch killed them as an option. I would have liked to have waited MacMice out and seen their offering but that could take a good deal longer than they estimate given their record on such things. I will post my experience with the BT500 after it arrives...
( Last edited by Grayson; Jul 7, 2004 at 08:34 AM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 07:56 AM

an on-off swith actually seems problematic...for me.
i think of how often i wake my powerbook from sleep; to work, to check something, to check email...

gonna go for the kensington (and, if...the macmice in september)

$! yikes!

Grayson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 08:32 AM

I think the on/off switch is imperative if you intend to travel with it in a bag. I would just let it sleep until I was ready to toss it in my bag and then it'd be switched off to prevent accidental draining of the battery. If I didn't intend to travel with it then I would have gone with the Kensington too...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Gig103:
Check the forum, I was going to do this, but it sounds like some people have problems. I'm hoping that it gets settled. I was going to buy it from a store w/ a return policy just in case.
I do believe that I have checked this forum and many other review sites. People will always have problems with something. Just buy the thing and enjoy it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
I have the microsoft bluetooth mouse as I have a large hand and can't stand the small mice that most people use on the road. Its an excellent mouse - good feel and response. Only two problems :-
2. the intellipoint driver doesn't recognise this mouse and therefore the 2 extra buttons don't work.

Apart from these two points I can recommend it.

As to the size question - you need to ask yourself how much are you going to use it? Thats why I bought a full-sized mouse.

Good luck - post back what you bought and what you think of it.
1. my ms wireless optical mouse also lacks it, well, I just remove one of the two batteries at night.
2. bad, I 'need' those buttons to work with Expos�, more important even having on mind I use a 17" PB, nice and little keyboard.

BTW, seems that the ms BT mouse is not available on my country

Saramin
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2004, 02:34 PM

I just opened my BT500 in the mail and so far I love it almost unilaterally. It is very portable since the mouse is only about as long as my index finger. Despite this it is pretty easy to handle and appears rugged anough to survive daily wear and tear. Response is fine, calibration was easy. The one thing that really annoys me is the click. Compared to other mice on the market the clicking noise the mouse makes is noticeably louder. Annoying, especially considering I was planning to play UT2004 with this thing during my classes. I don't suppose there is a way to dampen the sound?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 8, 2004, 12:09 AM

Peripherals forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules