Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Qantas A380 Experience?

Qantas A380 Experience?
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 11:42 PM

Anyone flown on Qantas' new A380s? Anyone flown first class?
Vandelay Industries

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 07:02 AM

Is that the double decker? The nicest plane I've been on was the new Boeing 777. Very nice.

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 04:03 PM

Yes, it's the double decker.
Vandelay Industries

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2009, 04:22 PM

I'm very eager to fly the A380 … it's just awe inspiring just to look at the plane!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 08:04 PM

How many US airports can those things land at?

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 08:06 PM

Qantas flies it out of LAX to Sydney and Melbourne.
Vandelay Industries

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2009, 09:10 PM

There are only two US airports the A380's service, just LAX and JFK. Quantas serves LAX and Emirates serves JFK.

First class would be a dream, but only if I won the lotto Heck, if I was going to Sydney I'd splurge and go for the Premium Economy for the 14 hour flight. But that plane alone has made transcontinental flight extremely affordable.

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 09:35 PM

I've got the miles for a free first class round trip. It would cost about $24000 for that trip otherwise.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2009, 12:09 AM

Haven't taken it but I've heard that the service is great... Any A380 service should be top-notch.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Any A380 service should be top-notch.
Why do you say that? It all depends upon the airline and how much you pay. I guarantee the seats in coach are the same as every other coach seat in the industry.

iM@k
Senior User
Sep 12, 2009, 01:17 AM

For more info on the A380 (or any commercial aircraft for that matter) experience, check out the trip report section at airliners.net

It's my "other" forum
What, me worry?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2009, 03:47 AM

From what I hear its not that good, nowhere near as good as Singapore airlines A380 service.
Qantas have a very bad reputation at the moment both on safety and the quality/age of their fleet, adding a big new aeroplane doesn't make the rest of the fleet any safer, it just lowers of the average age of the fleet.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 12, 2009, 04:26 AM

Qantas? Bad reputation? Like seriously, are you joking?

Qantas has one of the best reputations in the industry, and hasn't had a fatality since 1951.

The age of a fleet doesn't much matter, in terms of safety. Provided they are maintained properly (which is always, indisputably in the interest of the airline, since losing an aircraft means losing a TON of money), airplanes can easily last for 50 years or more. The reason you don't see older jets (for example, MD-11's) in passenger service any more isn't because they're worn out, it's because they are less economical for passenger service than newer planes, and/or don't offer the amenities of newer aircraft, such as quieter interiors and creature comforts, which are important in terms of competition. What happens to all those jets? They get converted into cargo planes for FedEx, DHL, and UPS, and continue flying for another couple of decades.

Anyone who's interested in this needs to start reading askthepilot.com (click for the salon.com column).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Qantas has one of the best reputations in the industry, and hasn't had a fatality since 1951.
In all fairness though, Quantas has had a number of near misses recently, the most spectacular one was the side of a 747 blowing off. That that didn't end in disaster was a near miracle.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 12, 2009, 03:55 PM

Random stuff happens. Nothing has happened yet to show me that Qantas has somehow slipped; no airline certified to fly in any civilized country is bad enough to be even remotely worthy of concern.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2009, 11:17 PM

Hi Tooki, my observation are based on me working with pilots and ground staff in Hong Kong for the past 3 years.
Qantas's reputation here is bad, many Australians are selecting other carriers, this was unthinkable a few years ago (Aussies like to buy Aussie).

Also in 2008 two major Australian banks recommended all senior management to avoid Qantas as their fleet is considered too old by (read older than everybody else).

Sure nobody has died yet, but you think its good the planes are so old?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 13, 2009, 05:13 AM

Given what I just told you, that airplanes actually last significantly longer than their typical passenger service lifetimes, no, I would not be concerned. As I already said, after an aircraft leaves passenger service, it goes on to start a new life as a cargo plane, simply because newer planes are better (not: safer) for passenger service for economic and creature comfort reasons.

Let's suppose Airline A has an average fleet age of 5 years, and Airline B has an average of 25 years. Yikes! Airline B's fleet is 5 times as old.

But given that an aircraft's lifetime is about 50 years, a 25 year old plane gives me no reason to worry about safety at all. (Besides, unlike humans, or even cars, airplanes are ultimately pulled from service BEFORE they can fail catastrophically. Only a tiny fraction of aircraft end their lives in a crash or significant failure. Normally, they are just eventually deemed to be uneconomical to keep aflight, so they're mothballed and sent to the Nevada desert to be parted out. With continued maintenance, an airplane could probably fly longer than 50 years, it's just not economical to do so.)

What the comparison of airlines A and B does tell me is that Airline A is more likely to have quieter planes with more amenities, such as superior personal TV screens.

No airline wants to lose a plane, because they are extremely, extremely expensive, and crashing makes for bad PR, so they all maintain them well. It's not in an airline's interest to slack off on maintenance, because nothing good comes of it. Almost every case of bad maintenance I've read about a) involved a third-party maintenance company, AND b) was a result of human error, not malice or willful negligence.

I don't really look at what the masses think, because in most cases, the masses (including the boards of those banks) don't know what they're talking about, and worry senselessly about things that aren't real issues, while ignoring the things that are important.

Edit: see
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...74/index1.html
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...275/index.html
( Last edited by tooki; Sep 13, 2009 at 05:28 AM. )

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2009, 06:10 AM

A properly maintained aircraft that is flown within its limits is safe.

Of course, aircraft maintenance doesn't say anything about their service or reputation in other areas and I don't know how Quantas fares here, I've never flown with them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2009, 08:06 AM

Yes but my point was about the reputation not about the actual risk of incident (of which they have had a few recently).

I don't really look at what the masses think, because in most cases, the masses (including the boards of those banks) don't know what they're talking about, and worry senselessly about things that aren't real issues, while ignoring the things that are important.
If you think customers opinions about airlines are not important then I hope for your sake you don't work in the industry.

I have had conversations with real people in real life about this, my observations are not based on things I read on the internet, so sorry I can't post any URLS.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Why do you say that? It all depends upon the airline and how much you pay. I guarantee the seats in coach are the same as every other coach seat in the industry.
As a flagship, the A380 will generally have the highest-seniority and most well-payed crew in the respective airline.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
As a flagship, the A380 will generally have the highest-seniority and most well-payed crew in the respective airline.
True, but that says nothing about the quality of service!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 12:43 AM

Singapore Airlines is way better inside the cabin, than Qantas could ever dream of being.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 08:12 AM

I just came back from a trip to Thailand and my return flight from Bangkok to Dubai (with Emirates) was also my first flight with an A380.

Boarding was incredible! Even though the plane was completely booked out there was no line at all!!! I didn't have to wait a second! Well done Suvarnabhumi Airport!

The engines are so quiet that you can only hear them at take-off! In flight you only hear the airflow outside and the aircondition!

Best airplane ever!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2009, 08:27 AM

Are the engines quiet or are you sitting so far away?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
The engines are so quiet that you can only hear them at take-off! In flight you only hear the airflow outside and the aircondition!

Best airplane ever!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 11:56 AM

Are the engines quiet or are you sitting so far away?
I was sitting on the lower deck (upper deck was first and business only with Emirates) and right over that huge wing (not much too see when looking down). The engines are very quiet!
The only thing that I found a little disturbing is the landing gear! It's so huge that you get quite a lot of shaking at take-off and especially at landing! Not very nice if things like that can make you nervous!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 12:01 PM

But given that an aircraft's lifetime is about 50 years, a 25 year old plane gives me no reason to worry about safety at all.
Used to be, not so much anymore. They're already scrapping <20 year old A320 series (due to the cost of a wing skin AD, IIRC).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2009, 10:08 PM

My airline has 152 A320s, all less than 20 yrs old. We're not scrapping any, and I'm unfamiliar with any wing skin AD. Do you have any more information, or is that just something you "heard"?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Not very nice if things like that can make you nervous!
I thought you helped design that plane?

Art Vandelay  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 10:23 PM

My partner and I are booked for two round trip tickets in first class on flights QA11 and QA12 next Aug/Sept. It retails for ~$54,000 US. We only paid $130 for taxes and processing fees. I'll tell you how it is in about a year.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:09 AM

My airline has 152 A320s, all less than 20 yrs old. We're not scrapping any, and I'm unfamiliar with any wing skin AD. Do you have any more information, or is that just something you "heard"?
Could United afford to fix it if they were having problems? They certainly can't afford to get rid of anything, taking forever to ditch the B733.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2009, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I thought you helped design that plane?
Not design but otherwise yes, I worked on that plane. Why are you asking? I wasn't nervous - my girlfiend was and I told her that all that shaking is normal...we had 20 wheels under our butt...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:41 PM

I didn't say all A320s under 20 years old are being scrapped (that's a ridiculous interpretation), rather that there are A320s under 20 years old that are being scrapped (compared to tooki's 50 year aircraft lifetime figure).

I'm referring to AD 98-22-05 covering the lower surface of the center wing box.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

I'm taking my first trip outside of the U.S. to Ireland & Britain. I wonder if I can fly out of LA and take an A380 over there.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2009, 07:13 PM

I'm Australian and would never fly Qantas on any international route if I had a choice.

For one, the food is second rate. Not to mention the decor of the cabins.

Secondly, there is something about our country's vaunted "egalitarian" spirit that makes efficient and humble service almost unattainable.

As a result, I stick to the better Asian airlines when flying out of Australia.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 09:57 AM

Qantas? Bad reputation? Like seriously, are you joking?

AHEM: sorry to say I told you so
Qantas denies problems after new engine incident | smh.com.au

Australian airline Qantas denies problems after new incident
Australian airline Qantas denies problems after new incident

Mid-air leak adds to Qantas woes | The Daily Telegraph

Qantas loses another Rolls-Royce engine, and the plot – Plane Talking
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 01:26 PM

How did this thread get dug up? I think this new post should get its own thread, because it's really not related, other than it is about the A380 and Qantas. The new post is about engine problems and the thread was supposed to be about what it's like to ride in one. Totally different topics.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2011, 01:42 PM

A large portion of the thread was about the decaying safety quality of Qantas which certain members were denying in this thread.
So when evidence came up regarding those denials it seemed correct to mention it in the same thread.

Any how, I can die happy knowing that a won an argument on the internet.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 28, 2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
AHEM: sorry to say I told you so ...

All that stuff happened AFTER the original discussion in this thread! My information was absolutely correct at the time. And even so, given that those problems occurred on newer planes, it's still no condemnation of old aircraft, and given that it occurred on newer planes, likely not indicative of lousy maintenance. An engine blew up on a brand-new A380; that's dumb luck, not negligence on the part of the airline.

Color me completely unimpressed by your chest-puffing.

I'd still fly Qantas without fear or hesitation.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2011, 05:24 PM

Wow, a 2yr vindictivity bump. Nice.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2011, 08:41 PM

Who of you mods allowed that thread to be reopened ?

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Wow, a 2yr vindictivity bump. Nice.
Well, it's obviously very important to win Internet disputes. With "evidence" that happened after the original dispute. Classy!
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Who of you mods allowed that thread to be reopened?
The thread was never closed, so no mod had to open it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2011, 08:23 AM

What happened to the auto-lock of 1 year old threads? Why didn't that kick in in the first place?

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2011, 10:23 AM

Please lock it now, Tooki has been seriously shaken by this revolation as evidenced by his multiple posts and I don't want to prolong his pain.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 29, 2011, 10:41 AM

I would suggest that this was not a Qantas problem. It was a Rolls Royce problem. The Australian aviation authorities have determined that Rolls Royce had improperly manufactured certain critical parts of the engine that failed, prompting inspections of the entire Qantas A380 fleet and similar inspections of a number of other airlines' fleets. The Rolls Royce Trent 900 engine appears to have been produced without sufficient quality inspections to prevent off-center bored lubrication bearings from going into a number of finished engines-that wound up going on A380s shipped to a number of airlines... Not Qantas. Rolls. Not at all the kind of thing that one expects out of such a prestigious engine maker.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2011, 10:49 AM

Please lock it now, Tooki has been seriously shaken by this revolation as evidenced by his multiple posts and I don't want to prolong his pain.
Fail.

Cold Warrior
Jan 29, 2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What happened to the auto-lock of 1 year old threads? Why didn't that kick in in the first place?

-t
When I was a Lounge mod, I asked for the Lounge auto-lock to be increased to 18 months or 2 years (I forget which), because from time to time I'd get requests to bump (and thus unlock) seasonal/annual threads. I wanted to give our members flexibility and allow them to make the judgement call about whether to dig up a thread or start a new one. That setting has been in place for a long while now and the lack of abuse indicates it was a decent enough plan.

With all the new Lounge mods now, they're free to ask the admins for whatever settings they'd like.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2011, 08:14 PM

This is what happened from my point of view:

I mentioned in the thread that Qantas have a bad reputation amongst because of a perceived safety issues and the age of the fleet, its wasn't public knowledge but I have worked with several people high up in the aviation industry that have mentioned this.

Tooki completely disagreed (evan though he was not present at the conversations) and said "Qantas? Bad reputation? Like seriously, are you joking?", "Qantas has one of the best reputations in the industry".

Then a series of more pubic incidents happened, even if you ignore the A380 engine problem their public reputation is now in tatters.

So I pointed out that I had inside information about an issue, somebody denied it with absolutely no evidence, later on events happened to corroborate my original point. The fact that the events happened after I made my original point just goes to show I was always correct.

Please lock it now, so it looks like I won.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jan 29, 2011 at 09:09 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2011, 08:28 PM

pubic incidents
Ewwwwww

Also, I wasn't aware that this thread was a contest. I wish I had won.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2011, 08:42 PM

I didn’t realise the age of an airline’s feet was so important for their image. Then again, I’ve completely missed all of those pubic incidents from Qantas, too, so what do I know?

Forum Links
Forum Rules