Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Kindle Fire, or Nook?

Kindle Fire, or Nook?
andi*pandi
Nov 10, 2011, 01:38 PM

Thinking to get my husband one of these for Christmas. He is not an apple guy, and these are cheaper than an iPad2. (That said, I wouldn't be sad if he got ME an iPad2!)

Any experience? I like the idea of the kindle since with Amazon Prime you get all kinds of books for free, plus library loaning. Never really heard much about the nook.

Thoughts?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2011, 02:56 PM

IMO you need to handle them side-by-side and compare ergonomics, displays, etc. relative to the intended usage. The intended usage part is critical because they do not do all the same things as an iPad. The iPad2 costs more not because it is Apple but because it is a more comprehensive device.

I have not touched a K Fire, but the Nook fills the limited specific niche of ereader very well, better for many than the iPad for that single usage. I would however expect the Amazon Fire to be even better. And I agree with you about Amazon providing content. I am thoroughly amazed at how competent Amazon is.

HTH

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Nov 10, 2011 at 03:14 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2011, 03:28 PM

The new Nook has faster hardware than the Fire, but I expect the Fire software and services to be more refined.

I like the idea of getting your hands on them, but that may be difficult. Perhaps buy both with the plan to return one.

SierraDragon: Presumably she's referring to the Nook Color, an Android tablet, not the basic Nook.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2011, 03:41 PM

Oreo: You are correct, my experience is not with the color Nook. IMO even the color Nook is not directly competitive and intended usages must be analyzed.

andi*p:

A discussion thread FYI:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x24G2G5QMV5MSC

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Nov 10, 2011 at 04:11 PM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 10, 2011, 03:41 PM

Yes, I think I'm leaning toward the nook color vs the fire, the b/w options are attractive just as readers but I think we'd get use out color for games/videos like we do with iPad.

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 10, 2011, 05:49 PM

Ok, THAT's a long thread... I'm really surprised the kindle doesn't have ePub support, thought that was pretty standard... the nook seems to support many more file types.

The kindle is still attractive for all the free books etc, but I suspect the husband would want to tinker more with a nook. Hmm.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Oreo: You are correct, my experience is not with the color Nook. IMO even the color Nook is not directly competitive and intended usages must be analyzed.
1) I'm not Oreo.
2) The Nook Color is directly competitive to the Kindle Fire.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
1) I'm not Oreo.
Sorry !

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The Nook Color is directly competitive to the Kindle Fire.
Indeed it is. My point was not to consider them feature-equal to an iPad2. Obvious to y'all I guess.

-Allen

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2011, 08:16 AM

What do you plan on using them for? If it's for reading books I'd only consider e-ink but if it's a tablet PC then you can't go wrong with the Fire or Nook. I hear the Nook is very customizable and hackable but the Fire is connected to Amazon's content library (for $79 a year). Tough call but good to have great options, eh?

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 17, 2011, 01:51 PM

I'm hoping he'll read a lot of books on it and stop cluttering up the house with books!
He has a lot of time waiting around at soccer practice so e-ink has a plus there. The 3G touch e-ink is an option. However I'm not sure whether he cares about video or games, apps, etc. Reading/editing word files would be handy. Facebook/email as well.

freudling
Banned
Nov 17, 2011, 10:15 PM

Nook is better. More memory, faster, full Android/Android App Store.

It's not really price: they're both dirt cheap for a tablet. It comes down to how committed you are to Amazon. The Fire is only good for people really committed to Amazon: the whole device is designed around Amazon's content, including a filtered App Store controlled by Amazon.

If you're not committed to Amazon, screw the Fire. It's a POS, locked down, constrained device. The Nook is more full featured and open. More of a real tablet. I wouldn't buy either of these POS but if I had to, the Nook would be the one.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 12:43 AM

It's arguable that the Nook is better. It has a couple better specs-RAM and storage-yes. (But is it really necessary to have 1 GB on a device of this class?) I'm not sure if it's objectively better in usability. (I now see they're the same price.) As I said in the Lounge, I'm very impressed with my brother's Fire so far. In addition, I don't know how much it's improved since its debut, but the initial Nook reviews weren't very good from what I saw. Now that I know they're the same price, I'll give some serious consideration to the Nook when I'm in the market for my next tab.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 18, 2011 at 01:04 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

freudling
Banned
Nov 18, 2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's arguable that the Nook is better. It has a couple better specs-RAM and storage-yes. (But is it really necessary to have 1 GB on a device of this class?) I'm not sure if it's objectively better in usability, and it's also $50 more expensive. For a device of this class that's a lot of money. And as I said in the Lounge, I'm very impressed with my brother's Fire so far. In addition, I don't know how much it's improved since its debut, but the initial Nook reviews weren't very good.
Have u tried the latest Nook?

I have. And I've tested the Fire. The extra RAM in the Nook is huge. The Nook is faster in everything we tested than the Fire.

You get double the RAM, double the internal memory, a memory card slot, a USB cable a charger, a better screen... compared to the Kindle. That's to mention a few.

My advice to anyone: stay far away from the POS Fire.

I guarantee you'll return it if you buy it and have any sense.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 01:34 AM

You're rapidly losing credibility on this issue, freudling, as you have in many other tech threads. The Fire is a lot better than you make it out to be, but I thank you for recommending the Nook. Question though: I thought you said 7" tablets were for losers, but you like the Nook?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

freudling
Banned
Nov 18, 2011, 03:01 AM

You're rapidly losing credibility on this issue, freudling, as you have in many other tech threads. The Fire is a lot better than you make it out to be, but I thank you for recommending the Nook. Question though: I thought you said 7" tablets were for losers, but you like the Nook?
Go ahead and attack my credibility over whatever.

Reality is my whole business is focused on tablets. I test and work with them daily. I'm trying to help people with the tacit knowledge I have. I'm just one voice though.

Do I like the Nook? I said it was a POS. No question. But the poster is wondering, WHICH ONE? The Nook or the Fire. Between the two I'd recommend the Nook any day, but I'd never buy it or waste time developing for it personally. The new Nook is a second gen device and has some polish. You already know the long list of things it has over a Fire. It acts more like a real tablet than the Fire and that gives the user more value.

My advice to anyone is to buy an iPad if you are to buy a tablet, because every other tablet out there is a POS. Don't even get me started on the Samsung 10.1. In this case, if it must be one or the other in terms of a Nook or Fire, the Nook is the clear winner if you don't give a shit about being tightly integrated with Amazon's content.

Personally, after an hour with the Fire I wanted to smash it against a wall. It's too slow, constrained and buggy... And limited.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Go ahead and attack my credibility over whatever.
He's not attacking your credibility. He's simply pointing out that your clear bias against anything Amazon, your cherry picking of reviews for only the points that support your belief, your dismissive language in every post and your recommendation of extremely unpopular and now-fictional products (TouchPad) renders your credibility as someone who truly understands the industry questionable.

*You* are attacking your own credibility with every post.

freudling
Banned
Nov 18, 2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
He's not attacking your credibility. He's simply pointing out that your clear bias against anything Amazon, your cherry picking of reviews for only the points that support your belief, your dismissive language in every post and your recommendation of extremely unpopular and now-fictional products (TouchPad) renders your credibility as someone who truly understands the industry questionable.

*You* are attacking your own credibility with every post.
You twist and turn reality to suit whatever crazy position you have.

I am not cherry picking reviews. The reviews I posted all from all of the major tech sites. That means that, because most of those reviews are negative, there is a consensus in the media that the Fire isn't that great. Period. No argument. That's reality.

For the TouchPad. It's already been explained why the TouchPad is a good buy. As a matter of fact, the reality is that there was a frenzy over it. The fact that you ignore valid points behind someone's reasoning, and then spin it with this kind of demeaning language shows how trollish you are.

You are simply incredulous. I state valid reasons why I think the Kindle Fire is a POS, then you ignore that and post this kind of garbage.

The Kindle Fire is a POS because it's slow and buggy, limited, and constrained. It's not a good buy unless a person is tightly tied to Amazon's ecosystem. That's my review after using and testing it. Period. No amount of your hand waving is going to detract away from these findings.

freudling
Banned
Nov 18, 2011, 11:37 AM

A human review of the Kindle Fire
By Marco Arment, Creator of Instapaper

I expected the Kindle Fire to be good for books, great for magazines and newspapers, great for video, and good for apps and games.

In practice, it’s none of these. Granted, I’ve only spent two days with it, so I can’t share any long-term impressions. But I’m honestly unlikely to have any, because this isn’t a device that makes me want to use it more. And that’s fatal.

It’s not an iPad competitor or alternative. It’s not the same kind of device at all. And, whatever it is, it’s a bad version of it.
http://www.marco.org/2011/11/17/kindle-fire-review

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 18, 2011, 03:03 PM

It sounds like the Fire is a dud, but if they had a version with the 3G offered I would snap it up, stop being indecisive, and let him decide if he liked it. For the price of a b/w eink touch without ads it's a small jump to the Fire prices, nook prices, etc.

Useful review if there's anyone else out there struggling to decide:
Amazon Kindle Fire vs. B&N Nook Tablet: Is there a clear winner? (review) | ZDNet

freudling
Banned
Nov 18, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It sounds like the Fire is a dud, but if they had a version with the 3G offered I would snap it up, stop being indecisive, and let him decide if he liked it. For the price of a b/w eink touch without ads it's a small jump to the Fire prices, nook prices, etc.

Useful review if there's anyone else out there struggling to decide:
Amazon Kindle Fire vs. B&N Nook Tablet: Is there a clear winner? (review) | ZDNet
I've tried both and don't agree with that review. The Nook in my testing if faster and all around better.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2011, 06:14 PM

Freudling, is that you in this YouTube video (WARNING: BAD WORDS USED BY HITLER?

If money's no object, then we'd all have an iPad2. I think the Nook is decent and haven't tried the Fire though I love Amazon. Not everyone's requires lightning fast system response, not everyone cares if the app store is locked down (the iPad's AppStore is probably the most notorious in terms of Apple controlling apps), not everyone want to spend $500+ for a tablet if they're only playing some games, surfing, and reading. I find it interesting that Freudling is so opposed to the Nook or Fire and keeps repeating his statements. You don't have to justify your response by repeating yourself incessantly, we understand you dislike the Nook and Fire. That's a great data point but other people will speak their mind as well and that's a good thing.

If I were to choose I'd get an iPad2 because I know it's fast and has all the apps I need, plus the UI is fantastic. I don't care if others get a Nook as it's also good. We all drive different cars and people don't get upset about that so let's all relax and let people comment. Reading on anything other than e-ink is going to be less than ideal but tolerable.

The reviews I've seen about the Fire say the changes to the web browser are nice but the Fire feels sluggish overall with delays between apps opening and other mundane tasks...I'd steer clear of the Fire for now.

freudling
Banned
Nov 19, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Freudling, is that you in this YouTube video (WARNING: BAD WORDS USED BY HITLER?

If money's no object, then we'd all have an iPad2. I think the Nook is decent and haven't tried the Fire though I love Amazon. Not everyone's requires lightning fast system response, not everyone cares if the app store is locked down (the iPad's AppStore is probably the most notorious in terms of Apple controlling apps), not everyone want to spend $500+ for a tablet if they're only playing some games, surfing, and reading. I find it interesting that Freudling is so opposed to the Nook or Fire and keeps repeating his statements. You don't have to justify your response by repeating yourself incessantly, we understand you dislike the Nook and Fire. That's a great data point but other people will speak their mind as well and that's a good thing.

If I were to choose I'd get an iPad2 because I know it's fast and has all the apps I need, plus the UI is fantastic. I don't care if others get a Nook as it's also good. We all drive different cars and people don't get upset about that so let's all relax and let people comment. Reading on anything other than e-ink is going to be less than ideal but tolerable.

The reviews I've seen about the Fire say the changes to the web browser are nice but the Fire feels sluggish overall with delays between apps opening and other mundane tasks...I'd steer clear of the Fire for now.
I live and breath tablets. They're my life. I'm trying to help people. You won't be happy with a 7" tablet, especially one that is sluggish.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2011, 03:50 PM

Barnes & Noble says that the new Nook Color Tablet plays high-definition video. It is stretching the truth.

Look, Barnes. Listen, Noble. These spec lies only make you look shifty and insecure. You don’t have to skulk around like some kind of after-curfew teenager, coming up with far-fetched excuses to tell your parents.

You have a perfectly good product. You don’t have to stretch the truth to sell it.

Stand tall. Be proud of what you’ve actually achieved, and quit trying to take credit for things you haven’t.

Nook’s Specs Are Exaggerated, Again.

freudling
Banned
Nov 19, 2011, 05:17 PM

Good, balanced review of the Nook 2. You'll notice it's pretty smooth in its performance. I found the Nook 2 to be a much better performer than the Fire. The increased RAM in the Nook over the Fire is no doubt a major factor in that.

Nook Tablet Review - YouTube

freudling
Banned
Nov 19, 2011, 09:35 PM

Alert. The Acer Iconia 7" tablet is going to be on sale for $190 down from $300 at BestBuy on black friday.

If you're really interested in a 7" tablet, this is full-blown. Very responsive compared to every other Android tablet I tested. Running Honeycomb, front and rear facing cameras, thin, light...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 01:00 AM

Is it being discontinued or something?

After even more experience with my brother's Fire we experienced one momentary slow down. A few seconds later the device was back to normal, by which I mean fast. You're full of it when you characterize the Fire as a slow and buggy POS, freudling. You're just a liar with a very apparent axe to grind against Amazon. And you'll be proven wrong and have to pay up when the Fire posts robust sales.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 20, 2011 at 01:08 AM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2011, 01:04 AM

After even more experience with my brother's Fire we experienced one momentary slow down. A few seconds later the device was back to normal, by which I mean fast. You're full of it when you characterize the Fire as a slow and buggy POS, freudling. You're just a liar with a very apparent axe to grind against Amazon.
Based on your experience, I'm beginning to think he's never even touched a Fire, despite all his bravado ...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 01:16 AM

Me too. To andi*pandi and anyone thinking about the Fire, don't pass it up only or largely because of freudling's rhetoric. He's either willfully lying or out of touch with reality here. My brother also discovered yesterday that the Fire is a better ebook platform than the iPad after testing them one in each hand. Better blacks, better contrast. It's also better for comics because it's got the proper aspect ratio for them, whereas the iPad doesn't.

Is the Fire a perfect device? No. But it's quite good, and I'd argue for entry level tablet buyers it's substantially better than the low-end iPad. I have no financial interest in Amazon; neither I nor any of my family have owned Amazon stock. We're long Apple so if anything I'd have a motive to agree with freudling to protect the iPad, but he's full of it. I also am even more dubious on the Nook after hearing about the way B&N's marketing department colors the truth, and I question B&N's financial viability. Maybe there are better tablets than the Fire at comparable prices out there, but I trust the Amazon brand and have been very impressed with the Fire over the last week. I may even buy one of my own in the near future.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 20, 2011 at 01:35 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Nov 20, 2011, 01:44 AM

After even more experience with my brother's Fire we experienced one momentary slow down. A few seconds later the device was back to normal, by which I mean fast. You're full of it when you characterize the Fire as a slow and buggy POS, freudling. You're just a liar with a very apparent axe to grind against Amazon. And you'll be proven wrong and have to pay up when the Fire posts robust sales.
You're full of it when you characterize the Fire as a fast and smooth, Big Mac. You're just a liar with a very apparent axe to grind against people on the Internet. And you'll be proven wrong and have to pay up when the Fire fails in sales.

Set sail for fail, you're used to that.

freudling
Banned
Nov 20, 2011, 01:45 AM

Based on your experience, I'm beginning to think he's never even touched a Fire, despite all his bravado ...
Based on your experience, I'm beginning to think you've never even touched a tablet computer, despite all your ramblings.

freudling
Banned
Nov 20, 2011, 01:51 AM

Me too. To andi*pandi and anyone thinking about the Fire, don't pass it up only or largely because of freudling's rhetoric. He's either willfully lying or out of touch with reality here. My brother also discovered yesterday that the Fire is a better ebook platform than the iPad after testing them one in each hand. Better blacks, better contrast. It's also better for comics because it's got the proper aspect ratio for them, whereas the iPad doesn't.
Demonstrate how I'm lying or out of touch. Major tech sources have scathing reviews, you act like I'm the only one who thinks the Fire is unfavourable. Now you attack the person, yet, the Fire is flunking in reviews.

but he's full of it.
When all else fails, get emotional and attack the person. You've just lost all credibility.

I also am even more dubious on the Nook after hearing about the way B&N's marketing department colors the truth, and I question B&N's financial viability. Maybe there are better tablets than the Fire at comparable prices out there, but I trust the Amazon brand and have been very impressed with the Fire over the last week. I may even buy one of my own in the near future.
Ya, sure, Santa Claus is real too. Amazon is worse of a snake than B&N. If you seriously believe that companies are completely honest in their marketing, you're an idiot.

Melville House Books � Amazon astroturf campaign exposed

Or how about Amazon listing its Kindle as the best seller for 2 years in a row, but never released any granular sales numbers. When they were pressed by the media about this, they finally took away the best seller title and just left it on the homepage as with standard marketing.

Then there's our friends Apple... with this recent interview, I'm shocked at how many holes were in the original iOS/iPhone. Safari as root? Are you kidding me... yet, Apple advertises it's wares as rock solid, based on UNIX, most secure, advanced OS... blah blah. Ya ya, BS.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/t...harlie-miller/

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 01:54 AM

So you're desperate because you're short Amazon, freudling? Or what? What a tool.

freudling
Banned
Nov 20, 2011, 02:00 AM

So you're desperate because you're short Amazon, freudling? Or what? What a tool.
Nope, not short. Big Mac, cool it, alright?

We get it. You like the Kindle Fire. I've posted my comments about why I think it's a POS. Your view is valid and I don't give a flying fxck if your experience differs than mine. The difference between you and me is that I can accept someone's opinion that differs than mine, without starting off all this name calling and personal attack crap.

The only thing that matters is objectivity. After the zillions of tablets I've used, the Fire is terrible in its performance. Browser tests... slow, slower than many other tablets currently on the market. The animations are slow and choppy. The touchscreen unresponsive and quirky. On and on. And these findings are corroborated in the media. But whatever, you can wave your hands, blah blah. Maybe we're all wrong, and if we are, that's cool.

The Acer Iconia 7"... it's fast. Believe it's a Tegra 2 dual core. Super thin and light. Seems thinner and lighter I believe than the Fire or Nook, but on specs they're close. I'd highly recommend this biatch over any of these other 7" clunkers. I did 1 hour with it yesterday. $190 is the Black Friday price of it at Best Buy. If anybody is looking for a 7" tablet, this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH4yB...eature=related
( Last edited by freudling; Nov 20, 2011 at 02:11 AM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2011, 08:22 AM

Freudling has commandeered this thread and has been working to stifle anyone who thinks they might like anything other than what he likes. How dare anyone have an opinion other than Freudling.

Freudling, you've spoken your mind, now please let others. Where's the Ross Perot emoticon "can I speak...is it my turn yet"
( Last edited by cgc; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 09:58 AM

Set sail for fail, you're used to that.
Uh huh.
Your view is valid and I don't give a flying fxck if your experience differs than mine.
I'm having trouble squaring these two remarks.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011, 02:22 PM

Amazon is no more "a huge corporate conspiracy" than any other large company, and there is certainly no huge effort to tick off customers on the part of ANY firm that likes to stay in business. They made choices about design and marketing, including features, that some people do not like. My son just got his Fire, and he enjoys the heck out of it, having had little in the way of pro- or con- expectations about it ahead of time.

Now, if we can get back to the relatively objective merits of the Nook and Fire as compared to each other, certainly with each poster's own biases and interests taken into account, then maybe this thread can stay open. If it continues to be something on the order of the playground squabble it has become, it WILL be closed and there will be infractions enough to go around to those who have kept it going downhill.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Kindle Fire, or Nook?
Matthew Miller of ZDNet, seemed slightly prefer the Fire over the Nook Tablet, citing a better user interface and Amazon's "vast ecosystem".

Engadget is similarly on the fence between the two. On specs, they prefer the Nook Tablet. On content and pricing, they prefer the Fire.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/k...-tablet-fight/

Basically, it seems to boil down to which is more important to you: specs or content. If you're happy with what B&N offers for content, choose the Nook over the Kindle.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Nov 20, 2011 at 03:35 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2011, 07:58 PM

Aw. I'd like to have read the deleted posts.

Actually, scratch that: Nice to have missed them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2011, 12:11 AM

I bought a Fire today. In some ways, it's very rough, and in other ways, very polished. The app situation is pretty poor. Many apps I've installed don't work properly. Some will barely launch at all, while others work well but have navigation issues thanks to the Fire's lack of capacitive buttons or hardware buttons. For example, the bottom bar on the screen stays put while watching Netflix.

However, if you like Amazon's services and already make use of them, it's very polished in that regard. I have an Amazon Prime account that my family uses a lot to watch content on their TV, and it's really nice to have that same content on the Fire. Video playback is impressively smooth, and quality is pretty high. It takes me about 5 seconds to start playing an episode of LOST and it's already playing in highest quality by the time it starts. And since I've previously uploaded all my music to Amazon's Cloud Player, all my music was there when I first launched it. Pretty slick.

On the hardware side, I both love and hate it. I don't like the unoriginal design. The Nook Tablet isn't just better to look at, but does have a genuinely interesting design. That said, the Fire is, for all intents and purposes, very light and very easy to hold. The back is nice and grippy and doesn't hold fingerprints as badly as I'd thought. Amazon's marketing is right, you can comfortably hold the Fire in one hand. The power button on the bottom is pretty stupid, though I don't bump into it as much as I'd thought. Though some people hate 7" screens, I think it's the perfect size for reading (it's the same size as a trade paperback), and the pixel-density is better than most 10" tablets, making fonts less jagged and easier on the eyes, in my opinion. However, the design is handsome and feels well-built. It's not something I'd be afraid to throw in my bag without a case and have to worry about.

Overall, the Fire is a very 1.0 product. I would not buy a Fire for the app experience. But, if you already use Amazon's content in your house, it really only makes sense to buy the Fire. On the bright side, there have already been two software updates in the few hours I've had the device (not counting the 6.1 update that was already waiting), one of which seemed to improve the responsiveness of the OS overall. So it's clear Amazon has a team of developers working hard to refine this product.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2011, 12:26 PM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2011, 01:00 AM

Here's a great review from one of my favorite authors.

My Kindle Fire Review | The Murverse
When a local friend asked me why I’d go for a Fire when the iPad was better, I realized that’s like asking someone why they’re getting a Mini Cooper from Carmax when the Mercedes dealership is just down the street. They’re focusing on the device, not me, and not my needs. And that is what you need to keep in mind when you’re shopping.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2011, 03:32 AM

A lot of apps that I have on the Fire are now being updated specifically for the Fire and work a LOT better.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 02:09 PM

I have not used either, but I think I would be biased towards the nook as a general purpose tablet more like the iPad. And I would be biased towards the Fire as a specialized device designed for a limited task.

As a entire package device I consider them both below the iPad. But task to ask comparison they both have strengths that exceed the iPad. So it really comes down to why you are buying it. If you want the Amazon eco-system and a device designed well for what they offer or a general tablet computer that does a lot.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 04:37 AM

Barnes & Noble says that the new Nook Color Tablet plays high-definition video. It is stretching the truth.

Nook’s Specs Are Exaggerated, Again.
Ha !

Nook’s Advertising Is Corrected

Barnes & Noble has eliminated all references to "HD" video and the new Nook on its Web site. But there's not a shred of doubt: The Nook Tablet's Netflix video looks a lot better than Amazon Fire's.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2011, 07:38 PM

Wife owns the Nook Tablet. I own the Kindle Fire. One thing to keep in mind is that B&N has recently made their position clear regarding the use of the Nook Tablet as a general purpose Android tablet - by pushing out an update that not only breaks root (that is to be expected) but forbids the sideloading of apps as well. Of course the tablet modding community is working on this, but it's a nasty step backward considering both the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire support sideloading apps right out of the box, without any complex trickery. All you have to do is email the app files to yourself or download them through the browser.

Luckily I was able to block the update on my wife's tablet, which is normally pushed out and installed without user confirmation. As for my own Kindle Fire, I got an update that broke root as well, and again it was a silent update... but at least I can still sideload. And again, there is a community fix to regain root access.

To me, the main selling point of the Nook is the microSD card slot, which the Kindle lacks. And, surprisingly, the ergonomics. The Kindle Fire may look like a sleek, thin, miniature iPad, but in actual use, the thicker (but slightly lighter!) Nook Tablet is much nicer to hold. The bezel feels padded and grippy, while the Kindle makes you want to hold it by the edges instead of using a more secure grip. With the Nook Tablet, you can put your fingers on the front bezel and not worry about accidentally touching the screen because there's a tactile difference between the bezel and the screen. It's less attractive but more practical.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2011, 12:45 AM

I want the Fire's software on a Nook Tablet's hardware.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I want the Fire's software on a Nook Tablet's hardware.
The Nook is hackable...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2011, 12:18 PM

The Nook is hackable...
Until they force an update and break the hack. As someone who has played that game with both Apple and Sony, I can confidently say it's not for everyone.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2011, 05:07 PM

Until they force an update and break the hack. As someone who has played that game with both Apple and Sony, I can confidently say it's not for everyone.
Right, I wouldn't jailbreak/hack any of my hardware but that's essentially what the other person (forgot username) wanted to do (e.g. use Nook with Fire's software/OS).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2011, 09:11 PM

Right, I wouldn't jailbreak/hack any of my hardware but that's essentially what the other person (forgot username) wanted to do (e.g. use Nook with Fire's software/OS).
Well, I wasn't saying that I want to hack my a Nook to run the Fire's software. While I like the Fire's hardware (it feels very tough and is pleasant to hold), I think the Nook Tablet's design is probably the most original of any tablet on the market. Though I'm sure that the Kindle Fire's Playbook body helps keep the price low.

Forum Links
Forum Rules