Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Broken Macbook Pro Advice

Broken Macbook Pro Advice
JshLnsctt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2012, 06:37 PM

I bought a broken Macbook Pro off of eBay. 2010 model unibody. The laptop was listed as working sometimes and other times not, so I messaged the seller and got further details. He told me that he wasn't really sure what was up but that one of the water indicators had been set off when the genius bar looked at it, he told me that to his knowledge no water had been spilled into it, and that if it had it had been it was assumed to not be the same problem because it wouldn't have been recently (he had it no where near liquid). After purchasing the laptop, there are very minute signs of water damage including one very faintly pink water indicator. Here is my breakdown of the issues it has, and note I do have a brand new magsafe charger.

-Without magsafe charger plugged in if I push the battery indicator nothing happens.
-When I plug in the magsafe charger it turns green.
-With the charger if I push the battery indicator it flashed five times (indicating a bad battery).
-When I push the power button nothing happens. The magsafe charger also has no reaction, it simply stays green.

The way everything seems to looks to me it is like the logic board is good, though possibly the battery is not. Does the macbook pro 2010 model draw all power through the battery even while it is plugged into a charger? Does it sound like the battery is the issue, or could the logic board still have failed?

Thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2012, 07:40 PM

It should work when plugged in, even if the battery is dead.

What did the Genius Bar say was wrong ?
They looked at it, they should know what's going on.

-t

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
-t
Not necessarily. A bad battery could prevent the machine from running (shorted battery). I'd try opening it up and disconnecting the battery. If it then works, all you need is a new battery.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2012, 09:43 PM

I would assume from the fault description that there is water damage and its probably the logic board.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

JshLnsctt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

What did the Genius Bar say was wrong ?
They looked at it, they should know what's going on.

-t
The genius bar told him it was out of warranty, so he didn't even bother figuring it out. From what I read online the Macbook Unibody is setup so that all power goes through the battery, in this case, and the 5 blinking lights I was lead to believe that the battery may be bad. I am a computer technician, so I plan to repair it myself, though I just want to make sure I purchase the right components.

JshLnsctt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2012, 10:54 PM

Found out it has Applecare until 2013.I called the express lane and they said that they will send me a prepaid box and check it out all free of charge through Applecare (they transferred it to me at the beginning of the call). Maybe they will be able to do something.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2012, 11:06 PM

Cool, you get at least a free "appraisal".

-t

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2012, 12:14 AM

good news! please be sure to report back with the result!

nitant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2012, 01:48 AM

Just a thought, but if he is using a charger with a lesser wattage than the actual one, the macbook wont switch on without the battery.

JshLnsctt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by nitant View Post
Just a thought, but if he is using a charger with a lesser wattage than the actual one, the macbook wont switch on without the battery.
I bought a brand new 60w for the specific model, so it should work

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by JshLnsctt View Post
I bought a brand new 60w for the specific model, so it should work
60w chargers are for MacBooks and 13in MBP only. If this is a 15in it will need an 85W charger. If the battery is dead or not charging a 15in MBP will not turn on with a 60W charger attached. In fact it will exhibit all the symptoms described.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

JshLnsctt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2012, 08:30 PM

It is a 13 inch Macbook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules