Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Saving Web Pages with Safari

Saving Web Pages with Safari
Kestral
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 06:44 PM

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here could answer his question.

I just moved everything over to OS X (had to, since I'm now running a 12" Powerbook) and I really like Safari.

However, I've been an Internet Explorer user for a very long time now. One of my favorite things to do is to save web pages which I find have useful information.

With Internet Explorer, when I save a web page, it saves each page (pictures, text, formatting) into one nice neat file. Of course, the file can be big, since it has all the pictures and everything wrapped up into it.

I'm interested in using Safari full time, but I noticed that when i save web pages, the files are a *lot* smaller.

So I am curious to know, when I save a web page in Safari, does it save the entire web page with all the graphics, text, formatting all embedded like with Internet Explorer? Or does it just save the text and formatting and grab the pictures from the cache, so that at some point if my cache is emptied and then I try to open those files, I'll be S.O.L.?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:48 PM

Just select File: Save As in Safari. I believe it relies on your browser cache for the images and such, where IE duplicates all those files again, wasting disk space.
Also, if you option-click a link in Safari, it will automatically save that page to the desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules