Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook to old 23" Cinema Display

macbook to old 23" Cinema Display
johnnypark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 07:26 PM

OK, I used the search feature and could not find any old posts on mini DVI to ADC, so here goes:

I just bought a new 2.2GHz Macbook and I want to connect to my old (plastic framed) 23" Cinema Display. It looks like there is no mini DVI to ADC adapter available. Does anyone have any ideas? Am I going to have to daisy chain mini DVI to DVI and then DVI to ADC adapters?

Thanks.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by johnnypark View Post
Am I going to have to daisy chain mini DVI to DVI and then DVI to ADC adapters?
Yes.

ImpulseResponse

Kestral
Senior User
Nov 22, 2007, 12:35 PM

I've tested my Santa Rosa Blackbook with the 23" Cinema Display at work. Yes, you'll have to daisy chain it, but it works 100% and the picture quality is just as good as when I use my MacBook Pro's DVI into the DVI/ADC Adapter.

johnnypark  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 02:26 AM

Thanks. The DVI-ADC adapter is expensive!

johnnypark1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 11:25 AM

OK, just received my new MacBook and connected the mini DVI to DVI and DVI to ADC to the cinema display.

I know it sounds stupid, but how do I get the display to turn on? I went to display prefs and it did not detect the cinema display.

Thanks for a ll the help.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 11:40 AM

Did you try the power switch on the front (it's not a button, but a "touch button").

johnnypark1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Did you try the power switch on the front (it's not a button, but a "touch button").
Yep. Doesn't work.

johnnypark1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 12:14 PM

OK, I finally got it working and it is mirroring my MacBook display.

Next question:
I have the cinema display settings at 1920x1200, but the icons, windows, etc on the cinema display are HUGE. How can I make everything look normal on the cinema without effecting the MacBook?

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnnypark1 View Post
How can I make everything look normal on the cinema without effecting the MacBook?
Turn off mirroring. When it's on the Cinema Display shows the same thing as your MacBook. But since the MacBook's screen is much smaller it just takes the same image and blows it up.

johnnypark1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by dn15 View Post
Turn off mirroring. When it's on the Cinema Display shows the same thing as your MacBook. But since the MacBook's screen is much smaller it just takes the same image and blows it up.
That's interesting. So is there a way I can make sure "view #1" (the one with the dock, menu bar, etc) is on the cinema display instead of the MacBook?

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by johnnypark1 View Post
That's interesting. So is there a way I can make sure "view #1" (the one with the dock, menu bar, etc) is on the cinema display instead of the MacBook?
Yes, there is. Go to System Preferences, then Displays, and click the Arrangement tab. This is where you position the displays relative to one other, so that the computer treats them in a way that is consistent with how they are physically positioned.

When mirroring is off, notice there is a white bar representing your menubar on one of the displays but not the other. You can simply drag that menu bar from one to the other to determine which one is the primary screen, so that your menubar, Dock and desktop icons show up there.

johnnypark1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2007, 07:59 PM

Nice. Thanks a lot.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2007, 08:07 PM

You're welcome!

Forum Links
Forum Rules