Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread

Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread (Page 77)
klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 01:01 PM

looks like my set up actually... minus the imac...
maybe add a epiphone es-335 in that description? i could be wrong

jogi
Mar 26, 2008, 06:08 PM

Flat in newcastle...

Macbook Air on a Glass table...

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 06:29 PM

Very classy (Y) I like.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

ajunr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2008, 07:48 PM

the Laptop on the left is a T61, and the powerbook is a G4 1.5ghz. The keyboard is a Korg TR61, and the white thing in the middle is a Korg padKONTROL midi studio controller, the tablet on the left is some cheap indian brand called iball.
( Last edited by ajunr; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM. )

grinder
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2008, 02:32 PM

jogi, do you have any pictures of your B&O gear? A Flickr maybe?
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2008, 09:53 AM

15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

packet of krisps
Apr 10, 2008, 07:48 PM

Rotate desk chair 90 degrees clockwise, and your facing this.

While my PC is great for storage and gaming, I hook this baby up into the 2nd DVI port of my display and use it with Photoshop and Pro Tools, I use my Roland V pro drum kit with it and mix for fun.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 09:23 PM

saying nice setup hsl would be an under statement

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2008, 04:51 PM

jogi. PS3 remote and pumping some fine Tiësto tunes. =)

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2008, 05:49 PM

I live my life one cool toy at a time.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by kertong View Post
Awesome, kertong, as usual.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2008, 02:29 AM

Thanks, cube-dude! Yours as well.

I'll throw in some more shots, pre-dvorak:

My old beloved TiBook:

I live my life one cool toy at a time.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2008, 08:50 AM

Nothing too special here, but I'm thrilled at finally having a permanent dual-monitor setup. That, and the mStand + 500GB MyBook for Time Machine. I'm lovin' this setup.

My one wish is that I'd gotten the wired Apple keyboard instead --- I do miss the extra keys.

Additional notable goodies: 320GB internal to the MBP, iPhone in my pocket, Canon Rebel XSi in the other room.

17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

shrugs*
Apr 25, 2008, 10:52 PM

Exciting-- new desk.

And the old desk gets Sawtooth commission..
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by azdude View Post
Nothing too special here, but I'm thrilled at finally having a permanent dual-monitor setup. That, and the mStand + 500GB MyBook for Time Machine. I'm lovin' this setup.

My one wish is that I'd gotten the wired Apple keyboard instead --- I do miss the extra keys.

Additional notable goodies: 320GB internal to the MBP, iPhone in my pocket, Canon Rebel XSi in the other room.
That's a great setup. It's what I'd like to have one day (ideally).

How do you like the XSi? I have an XTi that I love, and I'm curious about the new model. I'd imagine that Liveview comes in handy.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
That's a great setup. It's what I'd like to have one day (ideally).

How do you like the XSi? I have an XTi that I love, and I'm curious about the new model. I'd imagine that Liveview comes in handy.
Thanks.

I also have an XTi as my personal camera at home... The XSi belongs to work.

The XSi is an excellent camera, and has a few nice upgrades from the XTi (especially the new kit lens -- very sharp, and IS is awesome).

However, if you have an XTi already, it's not worth upgrading your body to this model. Spend the money on a new lens, or a plane ticket to somewhere where you can take gorgeous pictures with what you have.

Regarding LiveView -- it's a neat technology, but I'm not finding it terribly useful for many applications... focusing is a pain since you either have to actuate the mirror or use contrast-detect mode, which is *slow*.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 12:43 AM

Ahh, good to know. Thanks for that info! I love my XTi. I was on a tight budget so when I bought it a just bought the body with the new "kit" lens. It suits my needs just fine. I do need more opportunities to use it though.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 10:59 AM

I love your setup and I love that Samsung display. Nice.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 10:00 PM

My trusty old PowerBook G4's Video RAM finally fried, so I went refurbished and picked up a stock 20" iMac and a last-rev MacBook Pro. I love having two computers, it's a refreshing change from docking and undocking the laptop constantly.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
My trusty old PowerBook G4's Video RAM finally fried, so I went refurbished and picked up a stock 20" iMac and a last-rev MacBook Pro. I love having two computers, it's a refreshing change from docking and undocking the laptop constantly.

Do you have a KVM switch on the keyboard/ mouse?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Do you have a KVM switch on the keyboard/ mouse?
No, I use the two computers separately. I have ARD for when I need to login to the iMac from the MBP to get files.

xsphat
Forum Regular
May 4, 2008, 02:59 AM

Here's mine:

That's a MacBook with a Samsung display hooked up to a Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 and a Razer Copperhead mouse. There also is a Maxtor 200 GB HDD against the right wall and an HP printer underneath the desk on the right side.

Other than that, there are 5 Buddhas, one Grim Reaper and a mint condition first gen Yoda.

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by shrugs* View Post
Exciting-- new desk.
New desk and setup looks really smart mate!!
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

packet of krisps
May 17, 2008, 12:35 PM

I stopped playing PC games like 3 months ago, I sold my PC.

Dual 2.6, 4GB, 200GB (7200RPM).

The Externals are: 500GB (Esata), 320GB (FW800), 320GB (FW400)
The Shoe box holds a rats nest of wires.
The 20" was from when I sold my PowerMac, so it was just sitting around, it's not a 22", but has a higher resolution, much better colors, and is way more evenly backlit than the Samsung,

I can't decide if I should just not use the 20" and just have the laptop, it would make it a lot simpler, I suppose. Thoughts?
( Last edited by packet of krisps; May 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2008, 01:05 PM

Oh, since you have it (the Cinema) why not use it?

packet of krisps
May 17, 2008, 01:10 PM

I just figure since I can't twinview with it (desk is just too small), and since the cinema is only a bit bigger than the MBP's display... I have decided to keep it the way it is, I would like my view to be as tall as possible.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2008, 11:43 AM

You could always set your laptop up in front of you, as your primary display, and then VESA-mount your 20" above it on the wall. That'd save some space.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2008, 05:49 PM

Gotta love it.
Its amazing that the macbook air is real, I mean we always just saw mockups and now its here.
Thats Tight man.

packet of krisps
May 22, 2008, 06:24 PM

You could always set your laptop up in front of you, as your primary display, and then VESA-mount your 20" above it on the wall. That'd save some space.
I wish, those things are damn expensive, perhaps I could just make a wooden shelf and set it on top of that.
( Last edited by packet of krisps; May 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM. )

G4Man
May 29, 2008, 06:30 PM

HERE'S MY SETUP

17" MBP 2.5/200GB 7200RPM/LED HI-RES/4GB RAM
17" MBP 2.4/160GB 5400RPM/2GB RAM

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
I wish, those things are damn expensive, perhaps I could just make a wooden shelf and set it on top of that.
I had figured that you were referring to big articulating arm mounts, and was about to reply to this that simple flush VESA mounts are only $15 or so, but then I remembered that we're talking about Apple Cinema Displays, which I forgot requires that extra $30 adapter.

Phooey.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 12:30 AM

(click on image for larger view)

One corner of my home office.

hedmisten
Jun 2, 2008, 12:45 AM

My current setup my home. Everything is dirty. Dell 20" Inspiron Laptop powering a 22 Westinghouse...Macbook pushing to 32 westinghouse lcd. Tascam dx4o digital mixer, Wacom Tablet, Old School JBL sound on a glass desk.

08 Whitebook 2.2 2.0.120.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2008, 06:47 AM

What kind of picture quality do you get with the macbook hooked up to that 32" westinghouse?

hedmisten
Jun 5, 2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
What kind of picture quality do you get with the macbook hooked up to that 32" westinghouse?
Not too bad. If you have it setup to mirror screens, you lose some resolution. However, if you set it up for dual screens as I do for web development, then the resolution is not that bad. It is amazingly clear for watching youtube and dvds from the macbook. The dell would probably handle it better and will later this week when we move into our house.

EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2008, 02:50 AM

Just got a macbook the other day. Dual booting Vista Ultimate and Leopard.

My Macbook Specs: 2.4GHZ C2D - 2GB RAM 667MHZ DDR2 - 160GB HD - Superdrive - Intel GMA X3100 - Mighty Mouse - Mac OS X Leopard - Windows Vista Ultimate

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 09:07 AM

hokie17
Jun 8, 2008, 09:23 AM

Only problem with that picture is what's sitting under the mouse and iPod Touch.

Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 10:15 AM

That only adds to the value, my friend!

hokie17
Jun 8, 2008, 10:16 AM

I have to deal with that worse than you think, I live in Winston-Salem. Of course I also have to listen to the Wake press, but Hokies are becoming more common.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

Been there only once. Nice city. I was born in Durham. NOTHING Duke blue touches my skin or enters my house.

hedmisten
Jun 12, 2008, 08:37 AM

updated. just moved into our house so this is my playroom.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2008, 10:48 PM

Finally a desk for me to be proud of, and I'm going to be further enhancing it soon.

A macbook with a 19inch monitor and a G4 sawtooth accessed via remote desktop. A a POS compaq that is only even still in my house because I haven't had money to put a bigger hard drive into my macbook and put fusion with windows on it. Sadly the only thing I NEED windows for is netflix watching online.

Oh yeah, Motorola L7 with itunes, an olympus m:robe I'm hacking into a better mp3 player, bose speakers for the nights I just want to sit in bed and watch stuff on my 19inch monitor. And my mouse for my macbook is an old school Macally 2 button with scroll wheel. I like it because its super light and doesn't eat batteries (just a USB port).

Lastly, a b&w laser printer (best investment for my college education) and a 200gb external harddrive for time machine.
( Last edited by idykenano; Jun 12, 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Man I forget how much **** I have until I move...)

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 09:14 PM

can we get a link to that desktop? looks awesome

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 12:30 PM

This thread is a sort of hommage to the machine I'm using while I wait for the new MBP.

A while back my father broke the LCD so the machine was sitting in a closet ever since. Anyway, some time ago I decided to sell my PowerBook G4 12in while I could still get a good price for it and have been using frankenstein for about a year now.

Since I operate the computer on "closed-lid" mode, I was having trouble keeping the LCD closed because it didn't allow the heat to dissipate, so the fans where running constantly ... I removed it.
After it was gone, the computer would still think that it had an LCD attached. After a lot of Googling, I found on this helpful page that a magnet-operated sensor manages the 'open' or 'closed' status of the lid. The magnet was inside the lid, so I removed it and now its under the masking tape shown on Pic. 1. It has to be placed on that precise spot on top of the trackpad.

It didn't have USB2 so it was a pain to sync iPods or capture pictures from the camera, so I bought a two port DLink DUB-C2 USB 2.0 PCMCIA card that works out of-the-box with OS X.

Since the internal HDD was small and slow I bought a larger 250GB drive, hooked it via FireWire to a miniStack v2 case that has the virtue of regulating the fan speed depending on the temperature, so it runs quiet most of the time (plus it has both FW and USB hubs).

As for the display, I use a Dell 2407WFP 24 inch LCD. Excellent btw. It comes with a powered 4-port USB 2.0 hub so I attached it to the PCMCIA card and got 4 "free" ports. It also has a Flash Card Reader, a nice plus for frankenstein.

The mouse is a RF Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser 6000, the RF dongle is attached to one of the USB 1.1 ports on the back of the PB.
The keyboard is the BT version of Apple's keyboards that interacts with a noname USB BlueTooth dongle that worked out-of-the-box with OS X. The BT dongle has to be attached to the PCMCIA card though or it would turn off every once in a while when it was attached directly to the PB. BT also allows iSync to work with my phone. I regularly backup the address book and calendar, plus Salling Clicker works flawlessly.

On the software side, it runs Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, quite well actually.
Firefox 3's lower memory footprint was welcome as it made everyday use much more bearable. Web pages that rely heavily on flash are somewhat painful, YouTube works fine though. Safari seems to run Flash faster so if it is your browser of choice you won't have such a hard time.
Office 2004 runs very well.

Lastly, audio. It's hooked to a 1980's Technics receiver I found in the storage room a couple of years back that still has 2 working inputs and sounds quite nice actually! Speakers are Paradigm Titans.
The mike works even under the table (just tweak the input level on System Preferences > Audio > Input), I use Skype regularly for long distance telephony.

So that's it. It works just fine for general purpose use: word processing, mail, (non-HD) movies, itunes and web browsing (as long as the page doesn't use a lot of Flash objects).
I can even do some gaming on it (provided that the game is old enough, Max Payne, CnC Generals, Ghost Recon, etc, not that I game too much these days anyway). Leopard was helpful in this area since it has a faster OpenGL implementation than Tiger.
It can also handle the occasional Photoshop touch up or iMovie job (that is, if the project is not too long, say 20 minutes or is in fact longer but with only a few effects/transitions/etc).

Since the machine is ... modular, I placed it under the desk (with the help of some Home Depot items). I wired the power adapters so I could easily take out the HDD whenever I need to move something large from another computer via USB.

All this leaves me with a very clean desk and an extremely silent computer that uses much less power than an average desktop PC (I'm affraid the LCD compensates for it though ).

Hope this inspires someone to give new use to 'old' Apple hardware that's still quite capable.

cheers

Pic. 1 - The Guts
Pic. 2 - Under The Desk
Pic. 3 - The End Result

:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2008, 12:37 PM

Nicely done. Really like your creativity.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 24, 2008, 03:29 PM

Pretty sweet setup!

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2008, 03:55 PM

Very nice indeed. Kudos to you.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2008, 03:28 AM

Wow, I have a MacBook and two screens and I am envious of your franken-setup. I like it's simplicity, and that it is far from simple at the same time.

Lionsblade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 01:30 AM

Recent Mac convert, longtime Mac fan.
Here's my new setup:

The MBP is a 15in, 2.4 GHz with the 7200RPM, 200GB HD and 4GB RAM.
The HD to the right of it is an iOmega 7200RPM, 750GB, partitioned for backup and scratch disk.
And, of course, the customary 16GB iPod Touch, 30GB 5G iPod, and Wacom Tablet. :-P.
If you look closely, you can spot an old school SketchBook(tm) with Pencil input underneath the headphones.
Also, an iDog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules