Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy All Together, or Wait for a Promo?

Buy All Together, or Wait for a Promo?
Radio Code
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 09:59 PM

I need to get a Mac for art graduate school, and I've decided on the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. The school has a lot of labs full of suped-up Powermacs, but I want to be able to take my work home. I was initially a little worried about the small screen size, but I have a 17" flat screen monitor with a DVI input already, and I frankly can't afford a 15". And with the education discount and spring $100 rebate, this shouldn't be too bad. I've scoured all the forums here for a month for advice and opinions, and it helped a lot in making a decision.

One quick question though: I've read about people getting promo codes from Apple after making one purchase, like $30 back for their next $300 order, etc. I was planning on getting the Powerbook, Applecare, and a 20GB iPod all at once, but would it make more sense to just order the Powerbook now, and then get the iPod and Applecare when/if I get a rebate code? Can you get Applecare after the initial purchase of the laptop, or must it be simultaneous? Does Apple ALWAYS send out these deals after making a purchase, and, if so, does it usually happen within a timely manner (a few weeks?)? I just want to get the best deal I can on my meager budget. Thanks for your help.

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 10:36 PM

First off. You will love the 12 inch. i just got mine a few days ago and am in love.

So far, I have not yet recieved a promotional code, but I am not discouraged. I have only had it for 5 days.

I did not purchase Applecare up front. You have a year to buy it. Essentially you have up until the original warranty expires. I purchased mine with an American Express card, and they will double the manufacures warranty. So I pretty much have a two year warranty the way it came. Just a lil' tip for a student like me.

Hope that helped a tad.

Josh

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2005, 10:46 PM

I would wait until the end of summer. For the last 2-3 years there's been a back to school promotion starting around July/August that gives you about $200 back when you purchase a laptop and ipod.

Radio Code  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the tips. I had heard somewhere that Apple might not do the July/Aug promo this year, since they were doing the $100 May/June one. I'd also really like the full summer to get acclimated and play with it. I might get the PB now and wait a month or two to get Applecare and an iPod. I know I want it all now, but it's just so hard to hit that final purchase button when the total is topping two grand.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2005, 11:08 AM

Try starting an Apple account and adding stuff to your cart. Leave items in your cart.. and usually they send out a coupon for $30 off over $300.. Of course.. add like a PB in your cart... try that out.. be prepared to buy though.. you only have 14 days to use the coupon.
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
I would wait until the end of summer. For the last 2-3 years there's been a back to school promotion starting around July/August that gives you about $200 back when you purchase a laptop and ipod.
This is right on. I've taken advantage of it, and it's happened the last 2-3 years.

misc
May 30, 2005, 12:35 PM

See if your Art school has a "special Apple store." My future college, North Carolina School of the Arts has a special Apple store. On the other hand, NCSA requires their film students to have a Powerbook, but I can still reap the benefits of the discount while not being a film student.

Anyhoo, it's worth a look.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Indohottie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 12:03 AM

pm sent

Radio Code  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 10:19 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. One final question: are the "$30 off $300" promos valid with the May-June $100 student promo? I'd hate to use the $30 one now and then not be able to get $100 off too! Or would simply ordering the PB at one time and then Applecare and iPod the next day take care of that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules