Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Naked Cyclists Protest Oil Dependency

Naked Cyclists Protest Oil Dependency
CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:03 PM

Naked Cyclists Take A Ride
Naked cyclists in oil protest ride

A group of naked cyclists took part in a bike ride to protest against oil dependency and to "celebrate the human body."

Crowds gathered as about 100 people set off from Hyde Park corner, London, in the World Naked Bike Ride past some of the capital's most famous landmarks.

Most of them stripped fully naked for the 10km (6.2 miles) cycle past Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben, Covent Garden, Oxford Street and the United States Embassy.

Some bikes were decked out with banners reading 'Oil is not a bare necessity but a crude obsession' and 'Support the trade justice movement'.

Others have slogans painted on their backs and some were on roller-skates.

One of the organisers, Chad Neilson, 24, from North London, said part of the ride was to celebrate the human body.

"It's a protest against oil dependency and car culture and the overuse of cars for unnecessary reasons. There is too much pollution, it stinks in London, and we use too much fossil fuel. I think people should be a lot more comfortable with their bodies. There is nothing wrong with the naked body."

Under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 exposing oneself is against the law if a man or woman does it knowing that they might cause alarm or distress.

A spokesman for Scotland Yard said an officer had the power to arrest if an offence had been committed but he added: "Speaking generally, officers clearly have the power to exercise their discretion." He said police were aware of the event and had reminded organisers to adhere to traffic regulations and the highway code.

The capital is one of 54 cities joining in the worldwide naked protest which is now in its second year.
London's nasal irritation problem isn't getting better with your smelly, naked, pasty-white bodies riding through the street. I envision a similar problem of greater magnitude in a protest ride through Paris.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 09:08 PM

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,359483,00.html

In Germany nacked cycling has been forbidden just recently.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:13 PM

It doesn't matter what your stance on any issue is. When a middle-aged Briton who hasn't seen the sun, diet food, sex, or a gym since that time he went out to buy Rubber Soul is captured in a picture for your enjoyment, you have to admit…it is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 09:21 PM

I don't mind naked people. Some people should better cover themselves (and that's why I do it), but if they don't you get used to it. So what?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
It doesn't matter what your stance on any issue is. When a middle-aged Briton who hasn't seen the sun, diet food, sex, or a gym since that time he went out to buy Rubber Soul is captured in a picture for your enjoyment, you have to admit…it is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

I see. It has to look good to be worth anything to you.

altocumulus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2005, 09:43 PM

just think of it as coming to terms with two grim realities. though, nakedness (and it's perceived ugliness) will actually get better when more people are riding bikes out of necessity.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by altocumulus
just think of it as coming to terms with two grim realities. though, nakedness (and it's perceived ugliness) will actually get better when more people are riding bikes out of necessity.
Today I rode 100 km in less than 4 hours.

That is my commitment to something I find unecessary to me: I do not need a car; therefore I walk to work (30 minutes walk to go and 30 back). I also ride a bicycle because it is fun.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
I see. It has to look good to be worth anything to you.
duh.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth

exactly.... incredibly silly event, sillier that the "news" covered it.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 05:07 PM

$5 says one of them rode there bike to he start of the protest.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 05:54 PM

Some people feel the need to be self important.

Doing such acts fills that void.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 01:59 AM

If they want to buy everyone in Europe one of those hydrogen cars, they can do ahead. Otherwise, they should grow the f*ck up and let technology advance (it takes time. um, duh). Theyre not the ones paying for research or fighting battles in oil-rich countries or looking for more oil, so they should shut the hell up and stop whining. These are truly vile people.

If they want to celebrate the human body, they should take care of it. ie, the opposite of CreepingDeath's description.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
duh.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 06:11 AM

Britain seems to have a long standing tradition in regards to this "topic"...

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Forum Links
Forum Rules