Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations

Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations (Page 3)
Thread Tools
antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2006, 05:50 PM
 
i posted earlier when i just got macbook 2.

welll the mooing got worse, it has a high pitch noise that goes on a nd off when the pointer is used, power brick sizzles...

so i called apple again and thjey had me re install the OS.
reset everything etc,
didnt do a thing.

they sent me a £60 new power brick, same buzzz sizzle etc.

so they have just sent me MACBOOK 3 !! today.

opened it, magsafe is not as strong hold as 1 and 2, easily comes off.

still high pitch buzz and sizzle, and 2 mins after i started it up, and launched safari, quicktime, imovie, it starts mooing !!

i am not surprised at all, im sure they all moo, and whine.


comeon , 3 lemons in a row is not a good ratio is it, .. this has wasted alot of my time, and i will be complaining to apple again ..

this is not a £50 product, this is a grands worth, and i expect to get what i pay for.

im sure if i went thru 12 macbooks, theyd all be lemons.. i have no doubt about that.

i may try a macbook pro, but not sure if they have solved all those probs too :-(

i may just keep returning them every two weeks, until the new ones come out.

ohh yeah, this new one also just has a green screen when i launch photobooth,

shame qc is up the creek !!

i think the problem is prob the intel chip producing buzz, but what do i care.

i want a good mac please.

no excuses, no , oh but therell prob be a firmware upgrade to fixit.... yeah and maybe not...
definately not now ! when its needed....

this problem is boring me now,.....
     
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2006, 11:11 PM
 
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Seriously folks...

1) He was asking for it...
B) People put on a "oh that's too bad, I'm so sorry you had to go through that" facade in the offline world, we can't let that happen in the online world too.
3) Forums should be a place to really be yourselves, if you can't say what's on your mind, at least within reason....what's the f***ing point?
There is a difference between the facade you seem to be talking about and just plain bad manners. It seems that you are saying that it is okay to act rudely if someone hides behind a internet handle. I truly hope that so much of the rudeness that takes place in these forums isn't a true sign of what people are really like, or the human race is doomed.

In regards to the machines he returned. I am a customer service nightmare when it comes to returns. If it comes broken, it goes back...period. I cannot believe that folks here actually think the should just send in a brand new unit for repair. WTHeck is that? Hello!!! We are the customers. If they have manufacturing problems, the customers shouldn't have to shoulder the burden. That is the responsibility of the company and its testing/quality control departments. If it took me TWENTY returns, I would do it until I received a functional unit without glaring faults.

I guess I am just OLD, but I grew up in a time when quality meant something to a company. An example. Do a little reading on say...the HP (NOT the HP company of today!!!!) of the 70's and 80's. Take a hard look at their calculator department and see how well built their machines were built and how they went to any length to help their customers. When HP released one of its earlier HP calculators (remmeber these were 350 dollar machines - 1970's dollars at that) it had a firmware bug that cause a minor calculation errors - rare errors. When this was brought up to them in a board meeting they asked for solutions. After listening to the bean-counter nonsense, they stated that HP would replace any machine that the buyers wanted replaced...all at HP's cost. No questions asked.

Nowdays, companies (Apple included) ignore / deny problems until they are practically forced to deal with them. All for the almighty dollar. It is a sad state of affairs when a company shows contempt for its customers...yes HP does this too.

Apple is totally responsible for the problems with their new laptops and shouldn't have released them until the problems were ironed out. One of my favorite solutions was to turn off a processor. What the heck is that?

I guess I just don't understand how consumers today can let these companies just run over them...and yet so many folks just take it.
( Last edited by lamewing; Jul 17, 2006 at 11:26 PM. )
     
Ciber
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing
There is a difference between the facade you seem to be talking about and just plain bad manners. It seems that you are saying that it is okay to act rudely if someone hides behind a internet handle. I truly hope that so much of the rudeness that takes place in these forums isn't a true sign of what people are really like, or the human race is doomed.

In regards to the machines he returned. I am a customer service nightmare when it comes to returns. If it comes broken, it goes back...period. I cannot believe that folks here actually think the should just send in a brand new unit for repair. WTHeck is that? Hello!!! We are the customers. If they have manufacturing problems, the customers shouldn't have to shoulder the burden. That is the responsibility of the company and its testing/quality control departments. If it took me TWENTY returns, I would do it until I received a functional unit without glaring faults.

I guess I am just OLD, but I grew up in a time when quality meant something to a company. An example. Do a little reading on say...the HP (NOT the HP company of today!!!!) of the 70's and 80's. Take a hard look at their calculator department and see how well built their machines were built and how they went to any length to help their customers. When HP released one of its earlier HP calculators (remmeber these were 350 dollar machines - 1970's dollars at that) it had a firmware bug that cause a minor calculation errors - rare errors. When this was brought up to them in a board meeting they asked for solutions. After listening to the bean-counter nonsense, they stated that HP would replace any machine that the buyers wanted replaced...all at HP's cost. No questions asked.

Nowdays, companies (Apple included) ignore / deny problems until they are practically forced to deal with them. All for the almighty dollar. It is a sad state of affairs when a company shows contempt for its customers...yes HP does this too.

Apple is totally responsible for the problems with their new laptops and shouldn't have released them until the problems were ironed out. One of my favorite solutions was to turn off a processor. What the heck is that?

I guess I just don't understand how consumers today can let these companies just run over them...and yet so many folks just take it.

Amen! Preach on brother!

I gave up at lemon #4, and just got bitched at by all the little kids here that think i should pay Apple $1,500 so i can run around trying to get the crap they sell me repaired right after i take it out of the box. Unbelievable!
     
hldan
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 17, 2006, 11:55 PM
 
Those things listed above just show that this guy as a consumer is nitpicking and nothing will ever please him even a perfect machine because he will find fault. He's mentioned that he's wasted a lot of time, well what he doesn't mention is that the computer actually runs the OS fine and the apps are working and the machine is acutally operating.

The Magsafe not as strong? (GIve me an Effin break dude!) You wouldn't have ever noticed that had you not compared it with the others. No 2 products of any type will ever be exactly the same.

Noises from the MacBooks don't come even close to the noises from the fans of most notebooks and I know this because I have the MacBook Pro and that whine is so minimal that I only knew it was there because I read this forum and does it hamper me from working on my computer? No, I am typing on my MacBook Pro right now and it runs beautifully. I also have a new PowerMac G5 BTO and haven't had the slightest issue with it.

Unacceptable issues generally are bad ram that produces kernal panics, DVD drive not reading properly, the OS freezes for no reason, the backlighting on the screen is completely uneven and has several dark patches, the computer doesn't startup due to hardware failure.

But this petty stuff doesn't constitute a defective computer or stop you from working like:

Oh, it makes whinny tinny sounds.
The powerbrick buzzes a little.
The power connector is not quite as strong as the previous machines I have had.
The screen flashes weird when I turn on photobooth.

Hard drives used to be so crazy loud in desktop PC's back in the day that you just didn't want to use the computer but that's the way consumer electronics is and if you think you spent a lot of money and think you should get perfection, think again.
Expensive cars have annoying flaws right out of the factory and yet the customer still drives it home.

Either get over it or let Apple go dude but if you think it's only the Apple Macintosh, think again.
( Last edited by hldan; Jul 18, 2006 at 01:17 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!
     
hldan
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 12:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing
I guess I am just OLD, but I grew up in a time when quality meant something to a company. An example. Do a little reading on say...the HP (NOT the HP company of today!!!!) of the 70's and 80's. Take a hard look at their calculator department and see how well built their machines were built and how they went to any length to help their customers. When HP released one of its earlier HP calculators (remmeber these were 350 dollar machines - 1970's dollars at that)

I guess I just don't understand how consumers today can let these companies just run over them...and yet so many folks just take it.

Back in the day (1970's) electronics devices were not mass marketed and they cost considerably more as you have already pointed out $350.00 for a calculator. It was a luxury to have a calculator and you didn't see one in everybody's hand. Companies including Apple made very high quality products that were as good as custom built and one of the reasons why is because they were made in small quantities.

Today there's an iPod in almost every kids hand, a computer in nearly every home, MS Windows in many big corporations, Macs in every recording studio and the Internet that used to be a luxury to have is now on every cell phone and digital cameras come a dime a dozen which is why the quality goes down because of mass production and lower costs to match the average consumer's pocketbook.

What's weird is that the average middle class consumer's expectations have grown higher as prices have diminished so they can afford to buy.
( Last edited by hldan; Jul 18, 2006 at 01:02 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!
     
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 11:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by hldan
Back in the day (1970's) electronics devices were not mass marketed and they cost considerably more as you have already pointed out $350.00 for a calculator. It was a luxury to have a calculator and you didn't see one in everybody's hand. Companies including Apple made very high quality products that were as good as custom built and one of the reasons why is because they were made in small quantities.

Today there's an iPod in almost every kids hand, a computer in nearly every home, MS Windows in many big corporations, Macs in every recording studio and the Internet that used to be a luxury to have is now on every cell phone and digital cameras come a dime a dozen which is why the quality goes down because of mass production and lower costs to match the average consumer's pocketbook.

What's weird is that the average middle class consumer's expectations have grown higher as prices have diminished so they can afford to buy.
I would rather pay a bit more of a premium just to know that the machine I bought is solid and will last a long time. I guess I will never see electronics like my HP calculators that, after 20+ years, look and run like they are new.

Your comment confirms my earlier statement that the mass-marketing of these electronics (outsourced away from U.S. workers) is the corporations' solution to making maximum profits while providing questionable quality. That is the very contempt that I referred to. The $$ rules.
     
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 11:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by hldan
The Magsafe not as strong? (GIve me an Effin break dude!) You wouldn't have ever noticed that had you not compared it with the others. No 2 products of any type will ever be exactly the same.

Noises from the MacBooks don't come even close to the noises from the fans of most notebooks and I know this because I have the MacBook Pro and that whine is so minimal that I only knew it was there because I read this forum and does it hamper me from working on my computer? No, I am typing on my MacBook Pro right now and it runs beautifully. I also have a new PowerMac G5 BTO and haven't had the slightest issue with it.

Unacceptable issues generally are bad ram that produces kernal panics, DVD drive not reading properly, the OS freezes for no reason, the backlighting on the screen is completely uneven and has several dark patches, the computer doesn't startup due to hardware failure.

But this petty stuff doesn't constitute a defective computer or stop you from working like:

Oh, it makes whinny tinny sounds.
The powerbrick buzzes a little.
The power connector is not quite as strong as the previous machines I have had.
The screen flashes weird when I turn on photobooth.

Hard drives used to be so crazy loud in desktop PC's back in the day that you just didn't want to use the computer but that's the way consumer electronics is and if you think you spent a lot of money and think you should get perfection, think again.
Expensive cars have annoying flaws right out of the factory and yet the customer still drives it home.

Either get over it or let Apple go dude but if you think it's only the Apple Macintosh, think again.
1.The mag-safe power supply could be nitpicking (eaisly), I have no way to know.
2.If several of the units have construction quality problems, he should just walk away.
3. I am unsure what he means by the screen flashing weird. My wife's Falcon Northwest also blanks for a second when starting certian video functions due to her video card.

BUT....
4.The CPU should NOT produce a whine at idle. THAT is a unacceptable problem, which Apple is even fixing now with new mobos and install DVDs. Being told to turn off one of the cpu's is BS.
5. The power brick shouldn't sizzle!!! Hum, okay, that is acceptable, but sizzle - Hell no.

Having said that, and understanding the lack of quality on all consumer electronics today(My cell phone is a small brick that I bought in 1997. I pulled it out of the closet after two Sprint phones practically fell apart.), I wouldn't suggest buying into ANY first run production lines. That is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Cars? I returned two cars...a Honda Civic Si and a Honda Civic EX...both of which has problems with the clutch during the first 100 miles. I now have a wonderful Honda CRV. Guess what, I went to the dealership and DEMANDED that they give me a replacement. They did. You would be suprised what a bit of bad press, a report to the BBB, and downright standing your ground can do...even today.
     
antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
 
i cant believe idiots out there actually accept duff macbooks.

its idiots like them that make apple feel its okay to put out unready products.

coz theres always an idiot from this forum to say, you should just accept it or walk away.

who gives a [email protected]£$k if it moos whines , buzzes etc..as long as the apps work...

are you kidding me ????

it seems companies are getting a little sloppy.

i just ordered a new porsche 250gb hd, and it arrive with a big scratch on top !

its going stright back...is there no more qc anymore ?

any way, i love using macs, id really like one that does what its supposed to.

if apple can charge £150 more just to have a black macbook, im sure they should be able to spend that £150 on a guy to check its working properly !! lol

im giving up on the macbook , im starting on macbook pro soon...
hope they solved the probs there, if not .... number 12 macbook pro coming up lol

how can anyone say the original poster is picky... why is it hard to believe he got 12 lemons in a row ?

if the whole range of macbooks has a fault, its indeed very possible.

i still think every macbook moos, its just people are not listening in a quiet room.

i used to be proud to own the latest mac,

i took the macbook into a classroom to teach kids music...
at first they all said how cool it looked...

then in the middle of the lesson, when everyone was listening intently to my talk, it started mooing... the whole class erupted in fits of laughter...

totaly disrupter the lesson from then on...i had lost them.

i left the schoool with kids mooing as i made my way out of the gates.

not so cool apple
     
markybigred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by antdroid
i still think every macbook moos, its just people are not listening in a quiet room.
My MacBook does not moo ... I can guarantee you that.

That's just INSANE bad luck.

BlackBook 2GB, 120GB | iPod Photo 60GB
     
lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 03:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by markybigred
My MacBook does not moo ... I can guarantee you that.

That's just INSANE bad luck.
EDITED by poster
     
Ouhei
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2006, 03:58 PM
 
Not every macbook Moo's, its not that I'm not listening carefully, its because its not moo'ing. I'm not stupid.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]
     
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 02:26 AM
 
I hate threads like this. This fizucker just wasted 30 minutes of my time. Screw that.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 03:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dillon-K
I hate threads like this. This fizucker just wasted 30 minutes of my time. Screw that.
Actually, you'd have to screw yourself.

Nobody is forcing you to read any thread here. If you do however, and you feel you wasted time, there's nobody but yourself to blame. No matter how dumb a thread might have been.

And judging by the amount of posts you just dropped here in the last 30 min, you have enough time.
     
hldan
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 04:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by antdroid
ii took the macbook into a classroom to teach kids music...
at first they all said how cool it looked...

then in the middle of the lesson, when everyone was listening intently to my talk, it started mooing... the whole class erupted in fits of laughter...

totaly disrupter the lesson from then on...i had lost them.

i left the schoool with kids mooing as i made my way out of the gates.

not so cool apple

That's total BS and you know it! You make it sound as if the MacBook was mooing like a cow over a loud speaker. Other than the fans (which is typical) whatever sounds your notebook makes they are not so loud that an entire classroom of kids could hear it and even so the sound wouldn't be so distinctive like mooing that the whole classroom would bust up laughing.
Either get your lie straight or stop exaggerating.
You're a music teacher, there is sound in high volume in your class everyday, your not teaching Yoga where silence is golden and it's so constantly quiet that you can hear a mouse fart.
It's people like you that make small issues turn into a contagious large thread of followers.

You said it yourself that it takes a "quiet" room to hear the Macbook moo which is why people don't know that it's so-called Mooing.
Anyone doing any real work on their computer isn't paying attention and doesn't give doodly squat about little hidden sounds their computer makes, even noisy fans don't stop people from getting work done.

And before you think I don't know anything about the MacBook, my friend just bought the Blackbook and we spent 2+ hours setting it up installing tons of software including XP and we never heard more than the whisper of the fans turn on. No strange sounds, no mooing, no whining.
( Last edited by hldan; Jul 20, 2006 at 04:30 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!
     
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 05:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by PJJames
Wow...all I can say is wow. I feel totally offended right now. I didn't expect many of those responses. I'm sorry you guys feel I'm lying....I'm not....and I really liked this website, my opinion has gone down majorly towards those of you that I thought were cool people.
i was going to wait till read the ENTIRE thread before responding, but after reading this post i had to say something!!!

ok EVERYTHING is about context. some of the posters who are telling you to suck it up told me the same thing because my first 15' MBP had:
1-2 times daily kernal panics,
dead drive,
whine,
mooing
and a HOST of other issues including heat worse then the far upgraded model i have now.

yes there are a-holes out there who will tell you that you should put up with EVERYTHING, kernal panics dead drives everything, thats what they told me, its silly. dont take offense just realize that these people have no idea what they are talking about its best to completely ignore them. dont bother with it. they dont have to live with daily panics and a dead dvd drive, the person with the problematic machine does.

that said. i think you need to decide for yourself what issues you are willing to have repaired and which you are not, because it will hurt you in the long run if you are on 16th machine in 2 months and then 6 months down the line something happens. they may be willing to help you now, but the more replacements they do the less they may be willing to help you in the future. as well as for your own personal sanity.

i am on my fifth machine and in 3-4 weeks its worked great so far. its hot, but at least it has no whine or other issues. the rule that i made for myself, is even if they dont like it or dont mention it, check your machine there at the store, bring dvds (to check the drive), headphones, and if you have one a thumb drive to make sure the usb's are working fine.

in terms of repair, the rule i set for myself, is if i discover something in the first few weeks and it can be repaired at the store, even if it means an over night stay, i would go for a repair, but if it requires mailing in, i would just get a new one.

also i would look at forums and wiki pedia and other stuff to find out what are some of the things other users are experiencing and what the fixes for those are. say if the track pad does not work, they maybe able to put a new one right there or it might mean sending it for repair.

have a plan and know clearly what you are with and what you are not, what the option are with the things you are not ok with and what that means.

also, do your best to keep you machine clean and scratch-free. its not supposed to mean anything but they have told me many times when i have come in, that they are impressed with how clean it is and that is a sign that is well cared for (i.e. not the result of abuse). this is PARTICULARLY important if you have had more than one replacement. as that is the first thing they are going to wonder.

anyway, i tried to give a reason for everything i suggest, feel free to ignore it, but its there for the taking.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)
     
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 05:15 AM
 
well sorry to see that you left, glad you got your money back, maybe my words can help someone else or not thats what i get for not waiting till the last post like i had planned
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)
     
Fishtank22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
 
I can't imagine this is true. To get Apple to take one machine back is almost impossible. 12... Thats tough to swallow. But if its true... that sucks dude.
     
Tarcat
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 08:53 AM
 
"The odds of getting 12 straight defective Macs has to be about the same as winning the lottery. Sorry, this is not believable."

I tend to agree. I've had about a dozen over the years. Never had to do a single return. Nor has anyone I know. The percentage of Macs that have to be returned due to defect has to be less than 5% (an aggresive estimate). The statistical likelyhood of getting 12 straight bad ones is really, really, really low. Sounds fishy.
     
Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:21 AM
 
I do not know if I believe you or not. Nonetheless, since Apple pushes the design envelop, it often takes a few minor revisions to work out some of the manufacturing kinks. Other PC manufacuters do not really push the design envelop so they do not have these type of issues so much.

If you are being honest, Apple seems to be taking care of you. I bought one of those faulty G3 iBooks with the faulty logic board. It replaced it with another faulty logic board, which of course died after the extended warranty was over. It might just be me, but it seems if you are going to fix an admittedly flawed product you would do it with a redesigned part. The iBook did, however, after a few revisions become a great machine (although I never benefitted from that).

My point here if twofold: 1) Apple does not always do the right thing, and 2) after a few revisions kinks usually get worked out. In the future do not buy machines that first get announced. Wait a few months. Apple updates its manufacturing process cnstantly to address kinks.

My step dad bought the Macbook Pro. It is a great machine. No whines, nothing.
     
Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:29 AM
 
It is easy to blame corporations. They, however, by their nature are greedy. They have to continuously increase profits to appease shareholders. Personally, I think the whole scheme of public companies is the worst thing for America.

Instead, American politicians should be blamed for not guarding against corporate greed and selling out to it. Because of things like freetrade zones and other related tax breaks, companies that actually build in the US cannot compete because they are monetarily penalized. Let us not even mention the benefit of slave labor.


Originally Posted by lamewing
I would rather pay a bit more of a premium just to know that the machine I bought is solid and will last a long time. I guess I will never see electronics like my HP calculators that, after 20+ years, look and run like they are new.

Your comment confirms my earlier statement that the mass-marketing of these electronics (outsourced away from U.S. workers) is the corporations' solution to making maximum profits while providing questionable quality. That is the very contempt that I referred to. The $$ rules.
     
Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by lamewing
I wouldn't suggest buying into ANY first run production lines. That is a disaster just waiting to happen.
.

I strongly agree with that. That is the test run. I will wait until the MacBook is revised before I bite. By that time, most manufacturing kinks will likley be worked out.
     
diamondsw
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Woodridge, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:45 AM
 
I think he *is* being unreasonable. Most of those MacBooks would have been perfect with ONE PART REPLACED, whether it's the DVD drive, the screen, or whatever. The fact that he's getting a new computer each time, and changing models crazily - he's being an asshole.

My MacBook Pro had all the various noises, the bad battery, etc. I took it in for repair, and four days later had a perfect MacBook Pro. My screen didn't suddenly have bad pixels because I didn't get a new computer. My DVD drive didn't break because I didn't need it replaced.

He could have been fine on computer one, but he chose not to, and then bitch about it.
     
ibugv4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:46 AM
 
I can understand wanting what you pay for, I really can. However:

$1300 is not a lot for a computer, it never has been. I spent $1300 for a base model Pentium in 1995, a Macintosh would have been at least $300 more then for a comparable unit. $1300 for a 13" "wide screen" laptop with dual core processors and a DVD-R (hell even a CD-R) drive is a hell of a deal. And it's a little over an inch thick? $1300 is a steal...

Onto the manufacturing woes: I again understand and sympathize. However, your a moron for DRIVING around from store to store making yourself look suspicious to replace the units and likely throwing a hissy fit. Send it to Apple for repair, I'm really surprised you got ANY replacements as Apple has a repair, not replace policy. Regardless, are the sound editing tools you use Intel ready? If not, why the hell are you upgrading? And if the PowerBook before this machine worked so well, why not keep using it? You don't have to upgrade.
     
Ciber
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by diamondsw
I think he *is* being unreasonable. Most of those MacBooks would have been perfect with ONE PART REPLACED, whether it's the DVD drive, the screen, or whatever. The fact that he's getting a new computer each time, and changing models crazily - he's being an asshole.

My MacBook Pro had all the various noises, the bad battery, etc. I took it in for repair, and four days later had a perfect MacBook Pro. My screen didn't suddenly have bad pixels because I didn't get a new computer. My DVD drive didn't break because I didn't need it replaced.

He could have been fine on computer one, but he chose not to, and then bitch about it.
I went through 4 Macbooks before i asked for my money back. There was NO WAY i was going to pay for a ***NEW*** computer just so i can run around having it repaired as soon as i take it out of the box just to save Apple money. Screw them, if they want to save money on returns they should work on improving their quality control.

Once again, i'm *PAYING* for a *NEW* machine not a fixer upper, if it has an issue right out of the box it SHOULD be replaced by a NEW machine just like i paid for, not a refurbished one and the word repair should never come up as it's just insulting to a customer with half a brain.

It's sad that some of you have absolutely no respect for yourselves to just let some company treat you like crap when you're the one paying them.

If Apple wants me to run around wasting time getting new machines repaired then they can pay me and i'll gladly do it, but while i'm the one paying them? No thanks!
     
dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
 
one of the biggest selling points for the MacBook (and previously the iBook) is that it is made of that special anti-suck material.

Err, yes, I totally remember that. Of course THEY"VE TAKEN IT OFF THE WEBSITE NOW!

But I have you beat on MacBook returns:

Machine 1 - Would not cook an egg.
Machine 2 - Would not run "Masters of Orion 2" - I mean, WTF dude?
Machine 3 - I opened it up and it didn't have a PowerPC inside! I mean!
Machine 4 - Upgraded to a MacBook Pro. It wasn't even black!
Machine 5 - Couldn't find any decent pornography on the internet! In LA!
Machine 6 - iSight made me look ugly. I AM NOT UGLY!
Machine 7 - Opened case and disassembled and found that they had NOT USED arctic silver heat paste!
Machine 8 - had no ! key, I mean, WTF Apple!
Machine 9 - Still not working with eggs. I am not hungry and ANNOYED AT APPLE.
Machine 10 - I dropped, but it's ok, no one saw me do it, they can't prove a thing.
Machine 11 - Installing cheapo no name brand RAM required a hammer and then it didn't work. Clearly a motherboard problem. Damn you Apple!
Machine 12 - Was fine but the Mac Genius who replaced it was quite a hottie so I thought I'd take it back just to chat her up a little. Told her my tale and SHE CALLED THE COPS! after I followed her home.
Machine 13 - I didn't take a 13th, as they are unlucky.
Machine 14 - I had no idea what I wanted to do on a computer anyway, other than play Masters of Orion 2, and that STILL WOULD NOT WORK. Spent 6 hours on phone with Feral waiting for Eddie Duck to wake up and even then HE REFUSED TO HELP!
Machine 15 - Battery ran out right in the court room, which is probably why I was found guilty.

Anyway, I'm taking that one back as soon as I get out of pokey--which isn't named for machine code language by the way.
     
ninhead79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 02:25 PM
 
Although, I can't say that I have been through 12 macbooks, I can say that I have had a similar experience. I work for Kent State University in Ohio. We have a mixture of Mac and PC workstations. Our main file server is a xserve G5. I recently got an ibook G4, and it all of a sudden quit working. I sent it in for service, and it was returned. When it was being worked on the tech who worked on it scratched the case all up. So I called apple about it, and they offered to replace the case. Unfortunately, it took 4 weeks to replace the case, and in the process of the repair the airport card quit working. So they were going to replace the airport card. Unfortunately they were not able to get the part since the ibook was no longer being made. So they replaced my ibook with a 2.0 ghz white macbook. I recieved the macbook and was putting in a new memory module when it quite working. I followed the directions in the user manual directly, just incase anyone wants to question how I was working on it. I called customer service, and they are now replacing it with a black macbook. I can only say that the folks at apple are the most friendly and easy to work with. I have never been questioned as to how I was working on it, or the given a hard time. I can say that I had similar experience with PC laptops and let's just say that the results weren't as pretty. They made me wait for the repair, and would not send me a new one. Apple is quality the whole way around. From their machines to the way that they work with customers. Apple is definitely the best!!!!!
     
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 03:49 PM
 
For those of you who are picky and/or want machines with no faulties and think its all apple's fault: understand, that apple is as good as it gets, apple is THE computer company who cares the most about the customer, and not money. Microsoft hasn't given a damn about their customer/ user since day 1, you think Bill Gates is the richest d**k in the world because his company cared about customer satisfaction, do you think HP or Dell would give you a brand new computer for a stuck key. Face it, apple is like that small neighboorhood hardware store with 3 employees that care and help you until you are fully satisfied, Microsoft is like the home depo, they come in and offer you "better quality products" for better prices. Then when the little hardware store goes out of business, Home depo raises their prices and lowers the quality of their products. Thank god it's not exactly like that, apple is here to stay. If you get pissed off, just compare your machine to a PC, that always works with me.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.
     
antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 04:27 PM
 
what can i say, my 3 macbooks moo, whine buzz and loose airport...
it is loud enough to disrupt a class
it is getting a reputation as the "mooing laptop"
no lie, its true.. hldan !!

Fishtank22,
i dont know bout usa, but in the uk we have rights
getting apple to replace is not hard here as its the law.
if its sold as new it has to be fit for the purpose sold.
i dont know why anyone would buy a brand new mac and have it repaired ??!!
it should be right from the start. if not , its unacceptable..dont accept it.
my macbook three is going back, looking forward to macbook 4, 5,6,7,8 ...

when i get to 8 , i may try the pro line, ...
they will sort it out one day, and thats when i'll be happy.

i think the odds of getting a bad macbook are quite good actually,
if i had the same odds on the lottery, id be a millionaire !!
come on, theres a lot of macbook lemons out there, you guys are deluded if you think its a small percentage.
apple have made enough billions out of us all over 20 years to put this right !!

diamondsw , there is only one arsehole in this room , and guess what , its you !!
..oh my brands new toaster doesnt toast both sides.. ill send it in for repair.
..oh , my new tv has a problem with a pink tinge, ill send it in for repair
..oh my new dvd movie skips, i'll send it in to be cleaned...
bollocks!!...you pay for new, you get new, not repaired.


all you people out there bitching about this guy with your perfect or fixed macs, deserve to have the parts go wrong, where as the people smart enough to spot that these macs may be faulty now and go faulty again down the line , should be made gods...lol..ok i went a bit far.

apple have a responsibility to put out fully tested macs, not buzzing mooing units, if apple tested them before release , we wouldnt be sending 12 of the lemons back !!!

dimmer, actually you can cook an egg on a macbook,


im really bored with the macbook now, all these problems have taken the magic out of buying a macbook, though i get that new macbook delivered feeling quite alot lol

by the way my latest mooing buzzing macbook is week 28
now thats one of the latest, stilll mooing

yes you can still work on it even though it moos, and, no its not a problem, but ...what if its trying to tell you something...like , now im mooing, but after 6 months ill stop mooing just when the cpu is reaching 150 degrees ..bang

no thanks...
     
himself
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Live at the BBQ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 09:15 PM
 
i don't think the story is BS... I call Bad Karma.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton
     
icecrystal23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 10:47 PM
 
That is an impressive list of bad luck. I purchased a MacBook (white, upgraded to match the specs of the black model) the day they came out (online). It has been working flawlessly (except for a very picky 'k' key) and doesn't moo. I say don't give up! It'd be a lot of wasted effort now ;-)

I also have always had excellent luck with Apple's customer support.. they are super polite and usually very fast. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with them too much in the past (mostly for my fiance's iBook G3 which needed two new logic boards and a new keyboard).

And to all of you who are saying the chances of this are so slim... I say... so what?? People win the lottery all the time, and what are the chances of that? Probably about the same (especially in games like Big South in which people from multiple states play).
     
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2006, 11:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon
Actually, you'd have to screw yourself.

Nobody is forcing you to read any thread here. If you do however, and you feel you wasted time, there's nobody but yourself to blame. No matter how dumb a thread might have been.

And judging by the amount of posts you just dropped here in the last 30 min, you have enough time.
Grr... when I see a thread that says "Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook" I feel obligated to read it. The fact that people can't do anything but argue about whether or not PJJames is a moron or not is completely defeating the purpose of this forum. Therefore I have every right to say that I dislike forums of this nature.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dillon-K
Therefore I have every right to say that I dislike forums of this nature.
Of course you do. But if the thread is a waste of your time, maybe the reply might be one as well. Don't worry, remember, I put in a ->

Nothing serious.
     
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 04:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon
Of course you do. But if the thread is a waste of your time, maybe the reply might be one as well. Don't worry, remember, I put in a ->

Nothing serious.
Aaaah, in that quote of mine, I realized I said "forums of this nature" instead of "threads of this nature".... Is it just me or am I sounding a lot like "The Internet is a series of tubes!" guy?! *mimicks* "I recieved a forums from my staff at...."
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).
     
Olorin
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 06:33 AM
 
Just a few facts I wish to bring to light:

20% of people have some mental dissability or psychology disorder.

The probabiity that this guy really had 12 broken macbooks assuming 20% failure rate would be equivalent to basically zero. I mean something like .0000000000001 don't feel like doing the math. So tell me what is more probable that's he's crazy or his story is true?

Sorry I have little faith that what this dude is saying is any where near the truth. He is either a trol or he needs to seek help. Possible OCD with various comorbid disorders. He could injure himself or others without treatment and shouldn't be reinforced by the other forum members.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf
     
himself
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Live at the BBQ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 06:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dillon-K
Grr... when I see a thread that says "Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook" I feel obligated to read it. The fact that people can't do anything but argue about whether or not PJJames is a moron or not is completely defeating the purpose of this forum. Therefore I have every right to say that I dislike forums of this nature.
That's like saying "I can't stand broccoli, but whenever someone doesn't finish their serving, I feel obligated to eat it... I can't let it go to waste!"

So, if you choose to "waste your time" on threads that you "dislike," you look a little silly when you start to complain about it.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton
     
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 10:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by Olorin
Just a few facts I wish to bring to light:

20% of people have some mental dissability or psychology disorder.

The probabiity that this guy really had 12 broken macbooks assuming 20% failure rate would be equivalent to basically zero. I mean something like .0000000000001 don't feel like doing the math. So tell me what is more probable that's he's crazy or his story is true?

Sorry I have little faith that what this dude is saying is any where near the truth. He is either a trol or he needs to seek help. Possible OCD with various comorbid disorders. He could injure himself or others without treatment and shouldn't be reinforced by the other forum members.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)
     
buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 11:41 AM
 
I dunno. Keeping a faulty book and having it repaired has it's problems. I sent a perfectly functional Titanium in 7 times to get the flaking paint replaced. It kept comming back with everything from broken hinges to broken USB ports to deep scratches. Finally though it came back perfect. So I can see the guy replacing the new ones till he gets it right. I would keep with one store however just to keep them embarassed to see me again and again. I think eventually they will bother to test a Macbook before giving it to me, which should be done in the first place. Even just checking the iSight hardware as well as the mouse button pad would have been enough to save some embarrasment.

To read about his experience makes me feel justified I did not buy one just yesterday.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,