Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A bad Precedent

A bad Precedent
SteveC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2012, 03:59 PM

I'll not be one of those contributing to Apples bottom line with this Mountain Lion release. It is unfortunate they are setting the precedent of integrating third party applications in their normally cleanly delivered Apple universe. I used to be able to rely on the purity of delivered Apple products balanced nicely with option to integrate with external systems and applications. Now, with this OS release (as well as iOS since release 5) we are being forced to accept 3rd party integration.

It's easier to say "just don't use it" than it is to practice it. In this new OS version I am forced to take up valuable screen real estate with Twitter and facebook options in menus and other places whether I have an account on these services or not. If Apple feels they must start selling out to third parties, our participation must at least be optional. It is only common sense that if I've not logged into Twitter or facebook, I shouldn't see any sign of the application in the user interface. Optimally, the ability to interface should be a download like with any other application and not even included by default.

I'll not be downloading this OS and showing my support for this precedent. How far will this go? Will Apple soon be competing with Microsoft for how much endorsement money they can raise by preloading the third party software we used to rely Apple to omit?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 4, 2012, 04:14 PM

Moved to the Lounge, since the topic doesn't relate to News.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2012, 04:15 PM

Downloaded it the first day.

I have yet to even notice Twitter of Facebook integration.

Where is it? I'm curious now.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2012, 05:07 PM

Dude, pretty sure Twitter only appears in Notification Centre if it's turned on, (and even then it's a tiny button that isn't even generally on the screen) and Facebook isn't in the OS on any level right now and once it is it'll only be there if you turn it on. Grow up.

Also for a long time Apple has provided presets for Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo!. They've also added the ability to log into AIM with iChat forever ago and Yahoo! just recently. You're also able to add a Gmail account for contacts into Address Book in Lion, and you can add Google Calendar sync to iCal.

My guess is you are just some dumbass Android fanboi trying to troll a Mac forum.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2012, 05:27 PM

This complaint sounds Freundling-esque.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I'll not be one of those contributing to Apples bottom line with this Mountain Lion release. It is unfortunate they are setting the precedent of integrating third party applications in their normally cleanly delivered Apple universe. I used to be able to rely on the purity of delivered Apple products balanced nicely with option to integrate with external systems and applications. Now, with this OS release (as well as iOS since release 5) we are being forced to accept 3rd party integration.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree to a certain extent.

However, twitter and Facebook aren't applications (Apple has taken third-party applications and integrated them into the system for decades), but services. and they've had a YouTube export function in iMovie for a long time now.

The only problem I have is that the references don't disappear if I don't sign into the services in the system preferences. This is easily remedied, since, beyond that, there is nothing that affects the system.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Downloaded it the first day.

I have yet to even notice Twitter of Facebook integration.

Where is it? I'm curious now.
It's in all of the sharing action menus.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2012, 07:54 PM

I haven't noticed that menu either.

Not the sharing type I guess.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2012, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It's in all of the sharing action menus.
And that menu is so preposterously long now. What was Apple thinking to clutter the whole OS with one extra menu item hidden under a tiny popup button? And they plan to add another one in the fall!?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2012, 09:55 AM

In Safari, a full 20% of the menu is dedicated to a service I have not opted into, and will probably never use.

Read my posts in this thread again before pouring your stupid sarcasm and rolleyes on me, okay? It's not a big deal, and not really anything new, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Can you?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2012, 01:23 PM

Honestly, not really.

I didn't even know that menu was there.

When it comes right down to it, beyond initial setup (I like the status bar) I don't need to use menus at all in Safari. iOS has me well trained.

With iOS, you want a bookmark, you also are forced to have a button which says "Tweet". Now, this is actually taking up a significant portion of the OS, and that doesn't bother me either.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2012, 01:34 PM

Maybe Apple should get rid of all the UNIX stuff that runs behind the scenes because it wasn't Apple that developed it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2012, 02:24 PM

Figured the buttons would go away. Eitherway if they want people using the features it makes sense to put them there. By rights you could just get rid of the share button if you don't like it. Personally I haven't used it once. Though for those who don't know how to copy and paste I can see how this'd be useful.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Maybe Apple should get rid of all the UNIX stuff that runs behind the scenes because it wasn't Apple that developed it.
Fail.

a) that's BEHIND the scenes, as you so rightly say, and
b) it's required for regular operation.

Not comparable at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules