Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The right click context menu - can one modify it?

The right click context menu - can one modify it?
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 09:14 PM

I'm wondering if you guys know of any way to modify the right click context menu. I know until the last few years that Apple's mostly been a one button affair, but now with Logitech making much better control software I've been using the right click. Only thing is, theres not a lot useful I can do with it on standard items.

For example, I've got a PDF on the desktop from a web receipt today. I'd like to be able to right click and attach it to an email. I'd also like to be able to have something along the lines of copy to or move to.

Thanks,
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2008, 09:25 PM

You can create actions in Automator and have them in an "Automator" submenu of the context menu.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 09:56 PM

Ok... I know "ABOUT" automater, but I'm afraid that my attempts to use it before have failed, so I wound up giving up on it. Is there a tutorial for working with it that might help?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 10:09 PM

Macs use drag and drop a LOT more than Windows PCs. To attach a file to an email just drag and drop it onto the Mail icon in your dock.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 11:23 PM

I know that shortcut, I was just hoping there would be something easier in terms of the right click.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I know that shortcut, I was just hoping there would be something easier in terms of the right click.
Right clicks are neither easier nor faster.

Have you ever tried to navigate through context menus that are more than one level deep ? It's a pain and takes forever. Drag and drop of a file on the mail icon in the dock is definitely faster. Unless you have a 70" monitor

If you REALLY want fast and powerful shortcuts, have a look at Quicksilver.

E.g. emailing a selected file would be like F13 (shortcut for invoking QS) - "cur" (first letters for "current selection") - TAB - "ema" (first letters of "Email to...") - "email address" - ENTER.

This creates a new blank email with the selected file attached and the recipient filled into the "TO" field, the file name in the subject field. Takes in total about 3 sec + entering the email address.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 07:40 AM

LaunchBar also lets you do these things very quickly from the keyboard.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
LaunchBar also lets you do these things very quickly from the keyboard.
QS is more powerful. You can manipulate text and pics with it, and do all kinds of other wild stuff.

-t

-Q-
Mar 27, 2008, 10:58 AM

To specifically answer the OP's question, yes you can add functionality to the contextual menu via contextual-menu plugins (and Automator actions are one way to do that). A quick search pulls up this:

EGO Systems, Inc. : Products : E-Mail Helper 2

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
Ok... I know "ABOUT" automater, but I'm afraid that my attempts to use it before have failed, so I wound up giving up on it. Is there a tutorial for working with it that might help?
Try going to AUTOMATOR.US and watching the movies. There's a tutorial there for just what you are asking about.

P
Apr 23, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Right clicks are neither easier nor faster.
-t
I just have to answer this thing: While you're correct that dragging and dropping is often more convenient, if I am used to right-clicks then that is faster FOR ME. Windows, for all its faults, actually does let you drag and drop in many parts of the interface, and one feature in particular - that you can drag and hold over a button on the taskbar to bring that window forward, so that you can drop on it - is completely missing from OS X. (Yes, you can use Exposé for that. I do. Dragging onto the Dock icon would still be more convenient, and Windows had that feature long before Exposé). That does not preclude having extensive context menus. People are different - witness the Windows Explorer. Personally I find it the most convoluted garbage of a file browser ever designed, and yet many people use it and find it the most convenient. That I - using the spatial interface - am faster than they are is interpreted as me somehow being better at using the mouse quickly, despite my utter failure at any network RTS game.

My point is that you can rarely convince someone to change their way of working by explaining that their favorite way is now missing, but that this new one is much better. No matter if you're right or not - people want to do it their old way, because that's what they're used to.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:00 AM

Create this workflow in Automator and save it as Finder Plug-In with the name "Attach to New E-Mail" (or whatever name you'd like to give it).

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2008, 11:39 AM

Awesome! Thank you I'll give it a try later today!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Windows, for all its faults, actually does let you drag and drop in many parts of the interface, and one feature in particular - that you can drag and hold over a button on the taskbar to bring that window forward, so that you can drop on it - is completely missing from OS X.
Depends, I don't think it is completely missing in OS X.

You can drag and drop files on the Mail icon in the dock and it will attach the document / file to a new email.

Yes, drag-and-drop doesn't open that particular window, but to open files with apps that are not associated with the file, dragging to the dock works fine.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules