Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I get a MacBook this week or wait for next revision?

Should I get a MacBook this week or wait for next revision?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 02:17 AM

Should I get a MacBook this week or wait for the next revision in May/June?

Background

When I visit my moms every 4th week, we have shared her computer (MDD G4 excatly same as my system see below). At the end of January, she got a MacBook. Now she is wanting to become independent and learn on her own and not always having to ask me for help etc. This also means she doesn't want me using her MacBook. I could use her MDD G4 but as I suggested, my sister desperately needed a faster computer then my Beige G3 I loaned her. So she now has my moms G4. So now the kids (my sister and I) each have Rev C DP 1.25GHZ G4's (with USB2 PCI cards) while our mom has a MacBook 2GHZ 2GB RAM (both G4's have 1.8GB RAM and we all have iSights and I have an R9800Pro 256MB while my sister has the stock R9000 64MB).

We have agreed to her buying a MacBook "for use at her place," but I will work to have it as my system for home etc. My current system is
  • MDD G4 Revison C (June 2003
  • Dual 1.25GHZ 2MB L2 Cache per CPU
  • Radeon 9800Pro 256MB
  • PCI 4 port USB2
  • 1.79GB RAM (256MB 3x512MB)
  • Pioneer DVR710 (DL DVD±RW)
  • Combo Drive (came with system and old SuperDrive)
  • 120GB - OS/Apps
  • 320GB - Data Drive
  • 160GB - secondary data drive
As you can see I have a nearly fully loaded system. I do drive it hard though as you will see. Now for what I will be doing
  • Aperture (after I clear my 19K backlog about 1-2K/month i new photos all RAW D70 and yes it runs fine on my G4)
  • World of Warcraft (runs perfectly at max everything on my G4, I play about 2-10hrs/week)
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (once soaked! and Wild for the Mac come out looking ad few hours/week)
  • Tom Clancey games (any new ones coming out for Mac?)
  • Web stuff (BBEdit, CSSEdi, backends (vBulletin, Drupal, etc)
  • want to watch full 1080p trailers and podcasts as they come out (MacBreak at prsent)
  • iChat AV, Skype video chat

So do I get the MacBook this week or wait for the next revision (May/June?)? The system must last 3 years+ (4 even)

Thanks all
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 10:26 AM

Apple product announcements for March? - Business - Macworld UK

Apple product announcements for March?
Sources suggest Apple may upgrade some products this month
Jonny Evans

Apple seems likely to deliver an avalanche of new products, perhaps as soon as the end of March.
Macworld has learned that supplies of certain Apple products appear restricted right now – but will ship in quantity within weeks. It's the typical pattern of drought seen in advance of significant product launches.
Some specific products on which a backlog exists include: all models of Mac mini, the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, entry-level and black MacBooks, all models of iPod nano, and the iPod HiFi.
The iPod nano is particularly interesting – sources claim these will begin shipping in quantity again next week.
While the backlog in supply of some of these products may simply be connected to growing demand for the company's kit, it's being suggested that the existing inventory levels suggest significant upgrades in some of the products mentioned – and by the end of the month.
I would wait a few weeks.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 12:08 PM

But Santa Rose isn't due out until May.

More background. I also intend to use Parralles for VIsta ($250 later), WIn95 (Came with Biege G3 seriously Beige G3 shipped with a coupon for Win95), Linux stuff and even XP Pro (if I can get ahold of a Disc for Sub $100).

Lets not talk about space on the MacBook
--Stephen King

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
But Santa Rose isn't due out until May.
More background. I also intend to use Parralles for VIsta ($250 later), WIn95 (Came with Biege G3 seriously Beige G3 shipped with a coupon for Win95), Linux stuff and even XP Pro (if I can get ahold of a Disc for Sub $100).
Buy WinXP and get the coupon for free Vista. ~$110-140 (boot camp will only run WinXP Pro SP2 (only-as of now)
Operating Systems, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Media Center, Linux at Newegg.com
-you have too many operating systems there. I would only go 2 at the most (OSX and XP). See if your "Linux Stuff" is in the X11 format. OSX can run X11.
X Window System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a MacBook you are asking quite a bit. =You may want a MacPro that can utilize more memory/Quad Core etc. (if I were you I would wait for a true 64bit MacBook that has the extra memory capacity)

MacMall � #1 Mac Store, iPod nano, Mac Intel, Mac Computers & LCD TVs ($9.99 deal on Parallels and bundles with Vista or XP)
( Last edited by badsey; Mar 7, 2007 at 03:27 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 02:57 PM

Didn't you already start a thread about this?

If you want great performance in all those apps, you need to shell out for a MBP... if you're fine with ok performance, then the MB will do.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

MBP is out of the question, since we decided on MB this is why the new thread (asking to wait or not). so if I bought Windows XP Professional OEM, I can get Vista upgrade (but it won't be Ultimate), and as for Linux, I want to play with it for fun (and research).
--Stephen King

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 02:10 AM

It's quite simple: if you want it now and don't plan on waiting till May, get it now. If you want the next revision, you'll have to wait at least until May (Santa Rosa release) if not longer.

I don't know how much Santa Rosa will do for you. But since you want to keep that MB for a long time and it seems you're in no special rush to get the new MB, you might as well hold out for another two months or so and buy the new rev right when it comes out.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 10:07 AM

why dose she need a macbook why not an iMac why dose she need a laptop?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 10:04 PM

She goes back 'n forth from Seatle twice a month, but it's to do all her transcribing she has to go for someone and she wants to be able to do it where ever she is (and she is doing it for free).
--Stephen King

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 01:24 PM

If you can wait, wait. There will always be something newer, better. So if you have the time put it off. But if you need it now, go for it. The macbook is a great machine, and tiger is great. And you can always upgrade for a, respectable, 130 dollars.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 02:47 AM

Well I am going to wait (15" MacBook?) and maybe even see if I can get people help me pay the difference for a MBP 15".
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules