Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shortage of Macbooks?

Shortage of Macbooks?
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2006, 10:19 PM

is this true if so does that mean they will take longer to ship?
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 11:07 PM

I am waiting on a replacement MacBook, black, 1GB of ram. The order was processed on Aug.17 by Customer Relations, it originnaly was supposed to ship by the 22nd, and yesterday got bumped to September 1st..... Maybe I should have sent mine in for the fourth repair.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 05:26 AM

Mine got bumped too. It was supposed to show up on August 30th, but now it is scheduled to show up on September 8. I found this pretty irritating because I need the laptop for school, and school starts on the 28th. I thikn I owe someone an email. I am not too worried about it, I mean the date of delivery is specifically listed as estimated, but it still sucks.

I should mention that my MB is a CTO. I chose to add a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. That increased my ship time from 24 hours to 2-3 days. I wonder if it is not a part of the problem.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 10:17 AM

You should have ordered seperatly dude that sucks.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by neverskatewsandles
You should have ordered seperatly dude that sucks.
I would have had to pay to ship the adapter then. I want my stuff now, but I am also kind of cheap.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I would have had to pay to ship the adapter then. I want my stuff now, but I am also kind of cheap.
I didn't think that they would ship those two items together anyway seeing how they generally ship as items are available, I don't understand why that would delay the macbook. My contact at Customer Relations who is handling my replacement was very apologetic of the delay and insists that it is just because of the high demand back to school... I honestly think they are working to change the build process, and waiting on revised heatsink/ thermal unit that is being replaced on the random shutdown machines... as mine went in twice for the same repair.

Just my 0.02.

CH

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 11:52 PM

judging by the number of macbooks on campus here as school starts, i think it's that apple has a huge hit on it's hands and is probably just seriously baglogged..

good reason to get a macbook pro i guess.

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 12:51 AM

Mine got bumped too. It was supposed to show up on August 30th, but now it is scheduled to show up on September 8. I found this pretty irritating because I need the laptop for school, and school starts on the 28th.
Considering the latest rumor has the merom appearing in apple products on Sept 5 then maybe this is a good thing. It would explain all the shortages on Mac Mini's and Macbooks, and it would fall in line with the meroms that will be showing up on the PC side.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybutler
Considering the latest rumor has the merom appearing in apple products on Sept 5 then maybe this is a good thing. It would explain all the shortages on Mac Mini's and Macbooks, and it would fall in line with the meroms that will be showing up on the PC side.
They wouldn't just give me a Merom for free, would they?

Originally Posted by HarriganC
I didn't think that they would ship those two items together anyway seeing how they generally ship as items are available, I don't understand why that would delay the macbook. My contact at Customer Relations who is handling my replacement was very apologetic of the delay and insists that it is just because of the high demand back to school... I honestly think they are working to change the build process, and waiting on revised heatsink/ thermal unit that is being replaced on the random shutdown machines... as mine went in twice for the same repair.
I chose to have stuff shipped as it comes in, too. The thing is that the adapter is a CTO option on the website, not really a separate item. It is okay, I don't need the adapter until I have the Macbook. The rumor sites say that Apple is behind, so I think they have disspelled my little theory about the CTO option.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by HarriganC

Just my 0.02.

CH
If you order an adaptor (Mini DVI to.....) then it ships inside the actual MacBook box
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 09:44 AM

They wouldn't just give me a Merom for free, would they?
Of course not "Free" but it wouldnt cost more than you paid. The merom is a NEW chip, not a premium chip. So when they hit the MB and MBP then the pricepoints will be the same, just the specs will be different. That means your $1300 spent last week for a coreduo 2ghz will be the exact same price for a 2.5ghz core2due when it comes out in september.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 03:49 PM

Of course not "Free" but it wouldnt cost more than you paid. The merom is a NEW chip, not a premium chip. So when they hit the MB and MBP then the pricepoints will be the same, just the specs will be different. That means your $1300 spent last week for a coreduo 2ghz will be the exact same price for a 2.5ghz core2due when it comes out in september.
I see your point. I think it would be awesome if I got a better CPU for the same price. I am not, however, banking on it. It seems like apple would note in their apology letters that people would be getting faster laptops than they ordered for no extra cash. It would make for fewer complaints. Who knows. I guess I'll find out by the 8th.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 04:29 PM

if they come out with the faster machine before they ship yours then they'll probably offer to swap it out for the faster one for no charge. thats how they've done it in the past.

they like to try and get rid of their stock of the soon-to-be-obsolete machines before they announce the new ones so they don't have to dump their extras for a smaller margin or a loss.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 05:59 PM

A 2Ghz Core Duo MacBook today is not going to be replaced by a 2.5Ghz C2D MacBook in September. I don't think we'll see 2.5Ghz at $1299 until the first half of 2007.

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
A 2Ghz Core Duo MacBook today is not going to be replaced by a 2.5Ghz C2D MacBook in September. I don't think we'll see 2.5Ghz at $1299 until the first half of 2007.
And how can you be so difinitive as to what they will and wont do? Apple has always been very good at sticking to price-points rather than spec-value so why would they suddenly change their strategy now? I said "2.5ghz" as an example, but the point still remains. With a new chip right around the corner then specs will be changing but prices probably will not.

1) They silently gave customers the speed bump from 1.67 to 1.83 while keeping the prices the same

2) The 2.0ghz Macbook cost $1299 in May. In August its the EXACT same specs with no lowered price due to aging technology because Apple rarely (never?) does stuff like that.

3) Merom isn't a chip "option". Its a chip replacement. So they aren't going to be tiering the MB/MBP/Mini/iMacs into having customers choose betwen the Yonah line or the Merom line. Theyre just going to phase out the older processor in favor of the newer one.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2006, 01:48 PM

I happened on this tidbit; it's not a dedicated GPU for the Macbook but an Intel X3000 will definitely sway me toward buying one:

Mac Guides: GMA X3000

That plus a Merom of course.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 04:14 PM

And how can you be so difinitive as to what they will and wont do? Apple has always been very good at sticking to price-points rather than spec-value so why would they suddenly change their strategy now? I said "2.5ghz" as an example, but the point still remains. With a new chip right around the corner then specs will be changing but prices probably will not.

1) They silently gave customers the speed bump from 1.67 to 1.83 while keeping the prices the same

2) The 2.0ghz Macbook cost $1299 in May. In August its the EXACT same specs with no lowered price due to aging technology because Apple rarely (never?) does stuff like that.

3) Merom isn't a chip "option". Its a chip replacement. So they aren't going to be tiering the MB/MBP/Mini/iMacs into having customers choose betwen the Yonah line or the Merom line. Theyre just going to phase out the older processor in favor of the newer one.
The Core 2 Duo prices leaked months ago. Using your logic of keeping price points (I think we'll see a little downward pressure), that means the clockrates will remain the same.

1) Yep, and then they upped them by another 167Mhz a few months later. I think that was more related to Apple's concerns about Intel being able to ship the higher-clocked chips in volume (which Intel came through with).

2) Intels Core Duo prices have also remained nearly constant since May, and Core 2 Duo will be released at the same clockrate/price points (within $1).

3) Intel's not going to shut-off shipments of Yonah right after Merom ships. They're still shipping Pentium Ms in volume. I don't see Apple's incentive to upgrade every product line, unless they're going to do some big 64-bit campaign or similar.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 03:30 AM

Personally, I think that Apple needs to widen the gap between the MB and the MBP. Shoving a Merom in both lines would certainly not do that... then again, they could do other things to make the gap more pronounced.
Linkinus is king.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Personally, I think that Apple needs to widen the gap between the MB and the MBP. Shoving a Merom in both lines would certainly not do that... then again, they could do other things to make the gap more pronounced.
Perhaps they do need to do that from their point of view, ie to encourage more people to go for the Pro, by why the hell would the consumer want Apple to widen the gap? I personally think, as a customer, that its great that my £750 MacBook is basically the same speed as a £1399 MacBook Pro
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Perhaps they do need to do that from their point of view, ie to encourage more people to go for the Pro, by why the hell would the consumer want Apple to widen the gap? I personally think, as a customer, that its great that my £750 MacBook is basically the same speed as a £1399 MacBook Pro
That's not exactly true. While it may be great for you, it's not great for those of us who are looking for an Apple notebook with some of the features of the MBP (bigger screen, Expresscard slot, discreet graphics,) but can't seem to justify the price, especially when the MacBook has such nice touches as the user-upgradeable HD and magnetic latch.

And it definitely makes sense from a business perspective, as you've pointed out.
Linkinus is king.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

if apple offered a macbook with ANY video card, i'd buy one right now.

as it is, i'm struggling with moving up to the 15in screen and the extra money.

as far as i can see the only really major difference between the two machines is the video card. Everything else can be put on parity. For 200$ you can get a 160 gig HD that's probably faster than any of the ones apple BTOs.

Phil333
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

Yeah Macbooks are delayed by a week or two. No biggie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules