Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Flash is coming

Flash is coming
iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 06:26 PM

I heard on Bloomberg radio directly from Adobe that they would are developing it right now, running under the emulator.

Soon, folks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2008, 06:35 PM

For me this is more of a bad thing. The only flash I want on my iPhone is for video, not ads or shitty websites.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 07:05 PM

Agreed - if a separate app, or separate browser like some of the other apps use, then great - all those who want it will be satisfied and those of us who don't will be too.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
I heard on Bloomberg radio directly from Adobe that they would are developing it right now, running under the emulator.

Soon, folks.
Pending Apple approval. And with Steve still set against Flash, I doubt it will happen, esp. with SproutCore out there.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 08:12 PM

I probably won't install it. I like the internet without Flash on a mobile device.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 10:57 PM

I'd install it in a heartbeat if it worked well with video on the iPhone.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 11:21 PM

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2008, 01:00 AM

Forget flash. I need background push.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 01:52 AM

Yeah, just reporting what I had heard. Good or bad, no idea. Just know that it is in development, confirmed. That is all.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 02:41 AM

I don't really want Flash either. Except when I want it.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

moep
Senior User
Sep 13, 2008, 02:53 AM

MobileSafari is slow enough for me already, especially when I have the iPod running in the background.
I don’t even want to know what happens when you throw a bunch of interactive flash banners in the mix. Ugh.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 11:00 AM

Not gonna happen. Sorry.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 11:37 AM

I thought the bottleneck was that the iPhone CPU is too slow to handle it.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 08:40 PM

If Flash can bog down my 2GHz Macbook, I can only imagine what it would do to the iPhone. The world would be better without Flash.
( Last edited by baw; Sep 13, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling)

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2008, 09:36 PM

I don't want flash. If it does come out, I want the ability to disable it.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I probably won't install it. I like the internet without Flash on a mobile device.
I like the internet without flash on all my devices.

Seriously, if I can't turn flash on/off easily I will not update past 2.1 (in progress now) and that sucks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
I don't want flash. If it does come out, I want the ability to disable it.
Seconded.

Cipher13
Sep 14, 2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Seconded.
Indeed. Flash is far too abused.

mqualben
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2008, 11:32 PM

Of course they are developing Flash for iPhone now. What...did you think Adobe has been sitting around waiting, or just giving up because Steve slammed it? Microsoft is confirmed to be rolling out Silverlight on Nokias by the end of the year, and possibly later on for iPhone and others. I agree that many Flash banner ads are obnoxious, bandwidth-sucking, CPU-hogging, popup-blocker-defeating, inefficiently-designed pieces of crap. But does that make Flash itself crap? Blame the idiots who developed the banner ads, the idiot marketers who paid them, and the idiots who click on them and generate revenue in the first place. (I sound like my fav macnn poster: testudo!). Use Firefox with Flashblock (which replaces Flash movies with a play button) if the ads drive you that crazy. Hopefully, that functionality will become more commonplace. SproutCore is cool, but can it make animations as impressive as Flash (check out these 3d walls of photos at Flashloaded (http://www.flashloaded.com/flashcomponents/3dwall/)? Give Adobe a break--IMHO they have made good headway with Flash. ActionScript 3 in Flash Player 9 has up to 10x the performance of AS1 or 2, and breaks free from some limitations (such as not being able to change an object's parent). Flash 10 also has basic 3D, and apparently the platform-specific code is more isolated from the main "brains" portion of the code, so Adobe can port it to more devices. I'm betting instead of FlashLite, they'll make a full version of Flash Player 10 for iPhone but drop ActionScript 1 and 2 (the whole AVM1 engine) to knock the player's size nearly in half (ala Snow Leopard) and force developers to upgrade. Anyway, I'm glad to hear an update on it so thanks. This could be a stretch, but I wonder if "emulation" could possibly mean an iPhone version of Adobe AIR running Flash content?

MMask
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2008, 02:47 AM

If you want Flash for video, you have it now. Flash player 9 plays the H.264 codec and AAC audio in an mp4 container, with the tools to really implement with Flash coming soon. Adobe is introducing CS4, the new suite next week and releasing later in the Fall.

H.264 with AAC audio in mp4 (and the variants m4v etc). are what you are looking at now on an iPhone. Adobe is doing this to keep Flash as an authoring environment viable for video. There are still situations where flv may be better, but mp4 with H.264 is going to be everywhere and is already becoming the new standard for DVDs (including Blue Ray), the web and TV in many cases.

I have been frustrated for years at Adobe's attitude toward product availability on a Mac vs Windows, and the quality of what they make for a Mac compared to the same program in Windows.

I have long wished Apple would just buy Adobe, but I can see now why they wait.
It is possible that Apple could leverage silverlight and adopt it instead of Flash as a means of pushing Adobe to do what they want them to do or lessen their influence in the mobile market and align with M$.

Kontra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Soon, folks.
Perhaps not. Even if Flash could be optimized to run faster on OS X with less of an impact on the CPU and battery life, there'd still remain a huge issue of clashing UIs and interaction frameworks on the iPhone between Adobe and Apple. The iPhone is establishing the first multi-touch driven mass-market platform, Flash doesn't even have a multi-touch framework. I explore the implications of this for both Adobe and Apple in:

The new UI wars: Why there's no Flash on iPhone 2.0

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2008, 05:39 AM

The article is missing, Kontra.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The article is missing, Kontra.
http://counternotions.com/2008/06/17/flash-iphone/
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

fodigg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2008, 10:02 AM

I would like flash on my iphone. If only to use D&D Compendium while playing Dungeons & Dragons with my fellow "uber dorks". And video of course. And I wonder how Desktop Tower Defense would play on the iphone.

On my desktop I run mozilla with flash disabled until I click on the icon. That kind of functionality would be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules