Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tiger -Os x 10.4

Tiger -Os x 10.4
kmac
Mar 21, 2009, 10:18 AM

We have an
imac 800mhz PowerPC G4, 512 MB RAM,
OS X version 10.2.8
It still looks nice, runs quite, great display - but has always been a "Dog". Besides it's slow speed not much will upgrade anymore on this version of OS X .
I've posted questions regarding this machine before and anyone reading this who has read any of them is probably saying: "give it up already"!
Which is usually the advice I get.
About a year ago (OK I'm as slow as this imac and let's face it ...I'm cheap), someone recommended upgrading to Tiger.
I started looking for Os x 10.4 on Ebay and there seems to be a huge range in price - anywhere from a "Buy it now" for $39 to over $120 with people bidding on it. What's the difference?
If I can get this thing running good it's probably worth it to spend $75 -$100 on the software and another ram chip and get another year or two out of it.
First will Tiger work on this machine and what should I look for (remember I'm cheap)!
Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 21, 2009, 10:53 AM

Tiger will work on that machine-pretty nicely, in fact. My wife's 800MHz G4 iBook was a "new machine" after we upgraded her from 10.3, so the jump from 10.2 should look amazing.

DO bump up the RAM to as much as the machine will take. You'll be glad you did, and it won't cost much to do it.

As for what the difference between the $39 and $120 Tiger discs is, I couldn't say, but I would caution you about using eBay for this sort of thing. Be extra careful to check out the vendor and their feedback, because there have been many cases of people foisting off OS X discs as "works on everything" when in fact the disc was specific to a particular machine. Specifically, make DOUBLE sure any disc you buy is either Universal or specific to PPC processors. That's a very important thing here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kmac  (op)
Mar 21, 2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks. Good advice. I noticed that at least one of the more expensive ones was listed as "Full Retail Version". Could be the cheaper ones are OEM.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 03:36 PM

Full retail DVD's are the ones you can buy in the shops to upgrade. They will work on any Mac that meets the minimum system requirements.

OEM disks are the ones that came with your Mac when you bough it. They are the ones that say "not for resale" on them and work only with the specific model of Mac they shipped with.

Full retail DVD's do not contain any of the iLife apps other than iTunes, OEM discs contain iPhoto etc.

Tiger costs to by on ebay since it is required to use current ipod models and users with G4 Macs that cannot run 10.5 need a copy to be able to use any ipod they buy if they are still running 10.3

In the UK Tiger retail dvd's go for around £130 on ebay, OEM's for a bit less.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

kmac  (op)
Mar 24, 2009, 09:16 AM

Ok I'm shopping!
In the mean time, I reinstalled Os x 10.2 and that helped with a few things. Except now You Tube and videos that require "Macromedia Flash" flash won't play on the Firefox browser.
They were working fine before the reinstall. The latest version of Flash won't work on Os x 10.2.
Anybody know where to find an older version that will, or a possible work -around?
Thanks

OreoCookie
Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 AM

Ditto on the RAM, you have to upgrade it and you will benefit a lot. RAM is cheap, so I'd put at least 1 GB in it (which may require you to buy two 512 MB modules if the two slots are occupied with 256 MB modules).

I ran Tiger for quite some time on an iBook G3 800 and for light computing, it's alright. As long as you stay clear of flash-based sites with video, you should find some use for it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 07:32 PM

i would think the reason for the disc's to cost upwards of $100 is maybe they're the family pack (which gives you up to 5 legit licenses), but if i were you...i'd wait till snow leopard got released and then pick up the tiger discs. I can't imagine an OS selling for more than 30 bucks if it's two revisions old.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

kmac  (op)
Mar 31, 2009, 07:48 AM

I ordered a 512MB ram chip. The user accessible slot only has a 256MB in it so the most I can get this machine up to is 768MB (without tearing it apart).
I found Tiger 10.4.11 for $40, and the seller says it's can be upgraded for free on the Apple site, but does not come with iphoto, imove, etc.
Gonna try the ram upgrade first but I can't imagine 256MB more will make much of a difference.

Do you know if I can do a clean install with the Tiger, then get iphoto etc. off the discs that came with the computer?
Actually would rather use something other than iphoto - it jams up the computer - sometimes I think that is most of the problem with this machine!
Thanks for your help.
K

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2009, 06:05 AM

I'd recommend yo get iLife06, or at least iPhoto06. It was a huge improvement on previous versions.
It was the version that spwned the famous "scrolls like butter" quote from Steve Jobs.
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules