Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Web Hosts Recommendations ??

Web Hosts Recommendations ?? (Page 2)
selowitch
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
When does a host NOT permit "remote access" to MySQL dbs? Anybody offering phpMyAdmin is doing that, right? And doesn't everybody?
In that sense, yes. It's an issue of permissions, if I understand things correctly. But many of them do not allow you root access, do not let you grant privileges, and do not let you log in user a clientside MySQL browser. The latter feature is mos timportant to me.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2005, 10:56 PM

When does a host NOT permit "remote access" to MySQL dbs? Anybody offering phpMyAdmin is doing that, right? And doesn't everybody?
No. With phpMyAdmin you have remote access to the webserver. The webserver has local access to PHP, which has local access to MySQL. If you want to use a MySQL host remotely, do this from your command line:

mysql -h www.hostname.com -u username -p

Most hosts will block this, as a security measure.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

maccrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2005, 08:22 PM

I'd recommend TJR Networks or Myacen.
maccrazy.net - Your
news, rumors and forums....

alexander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 12:45 AM

http://sitesled.com has a great free hosting service, and they have a paid one as well (not as great, but good).

Cucucachoo
Dec 18, 2005, 02:39 PM

I use dreamhost. I really love the one click installs of Wordpress and Gallery2.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

maccrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 06:15 PM

I really love the one click installs of Wordpress and Gallery2.
Ah yes, Fantastico seems to be quite popular these days (most hosts offer it).
maccrazy.net - Your

36 Days
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 08:39 AM

Another recommendation for Bluehost. Even though our site isn't live yet I went through the features and control panel and it looks really good.

Etnier
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 12:09 PM

I'm looking for a friendly Mac-centric domain host for a site a bit over 100MB. Need access to live support, and excellent interfacing with Apple's Mail program. I'm using Dotster right now: there is very abstract support and the mail server doesn't work with Mail at all.

Have used MacConnect before but they're too expensive. Suggestions?

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2005, 01:46 PM

Bluehost recommendation here. I've posted above. Email works well in Mac Mail app; has cPanel, PhPmyAdmin, Fantastico. It's about as cheap as anywhere I've seen; you can create subdomains, 2500 email accounts, etc. Their support is not lightening immediate fast- but it's definitaly adequate.

I've been very pleased with them so far.

Etnier
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 03:13 PM

Thanks! I have signed on. Very fast response for phone support and many nice extras. Seems good.
( Last edited by Etnier; Dec 19, 2005 at 06:15 PM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 02:14 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll revive this one. I know there's also another web host thread here.

www.godaddy.com $3.95/mo, 5 GB space
*www.dreamhost.com $9.95/mo or 1-yr prepaid, $50 setup fee, 20 GB storage, 1TB bandwidth
*www.lunarpages.com Lots of awards, $7.95/mo, 400 GB bandwidth
www.bluehost $6.95/mo, 10GB space, 250 GB bandwidth

I've narrowed my options down to these. After spending a few hours researching, these seemed to be reliable services. Any feedback on which I should go with? I've heard (on this board) some mixed reviews of GoDaddy, but are these actual use of just what you've heard? Thanks.

I'm kind of leaning towards either LunarPages or GoDaddy. But am very open to other suggestions. Since this will be my first personal website, GoDaddy might also be a cheap alternative, but are they reliable?
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:41 AM. )

Cucucachoo
Jan 24, 2006, 02:37 PM

I use Dreamhost and have never been let down with them. Not only do they give you lots of space and bandwidth they also give you more each and every week. So not only do you get the 1TB of bandwidth they will give you more each week on sunday. Same thing goes with the storage. Unlimited domain names and sub-domains. Not to mention they have great email tech support. I have never had to call them to resolve a problem. Not that there has been many that was there fault.

I highly recommend them. And that is without getting a referral credit from you. I just want to see people get the best for there money. And i think Dreamhost is the best.

Good luck with your choice

BTW any dreamhost customer can wave the setup fee for you. Dreamhost is cool like that and lets their customers offer "deals" to potential customers.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Etnier
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by surferboy
Bluehost recommendation here. I've posted above. Email works well in Mac Mail app; has cPanel, PhPmyAdmin, Fantastico. It's about as cheap as anywhere I've seen; you can create subdomains, 2500 email accounts, etc. Their support is not lightening immediate fast- but it's definitaly adequate.

I've been very pleased with them so far.
I'm afraid this firm, which is here recommended in response to my-
Originally Posted by Etnier
I'm looking for a friendly Mac-centric domain host for a site a bit over 100MB. Need access to live support, and excellent interfacing with Apple's Mail program. I'm using Dotster right now: there is very abstract support and the mail server doesn't work with Mail at all.
Have used MacConnect before but they're too expensive. Suggestions?
…has been a real disappointment. They aren't Mac-friendly at all, and basically stopped dealing with my webmail problems once they learned I was on a Mac browser. Their mail server also does not work well with Mail app: Mail cannot remove read messages from the server. Support has been downright sullen every single time I've spoken with someone there.

I expect to be changing hosts again soon.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2006, 10:12 AM

That's a shame, our demands must be different. I am considering opening a second website with a seperate domain. Maybe I'll consider a different host to compare and contrast.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 03:19 PM

wouldn't recommend netpivotal.com - cheap but only have fast support when they feel like it and don't like you actually doing anything (PHP, MySQL etc) on their servers.

They put their bandwidth and storage high without thinking anyone would use it.

Plus they'll drop your service without telling you.

I'm looking at getting a dedicated server.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 03:24 PM

<repeat post>

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 01:57 PM

I've just selected hosts for three sites over the years, and am now looking at expanding my web-dev work to small businesses.

Could someone please clarify about RESELLING ? It seemed worth looking into as a way to offer my clients a least-expensive hosting solution. But it means realllllyyy having to be comfortable in committing to a particular host. So the question:

Am I understanding DreamHost right? That it's no longer necessary to buy separate hosting contracts for each domain (mine, several customers, family members, etc)? DH will sell a storage/bandwidth package to me and then I can use it up over its "Unlimited" domains, subdomains, MySQL Dbs, etc?

If I'm understanding this right, DH is a VERY affordable alternative to usual concepts of reselling. Am I missing something? Anybody else doing this? Can you see any downsides?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 02:20 PM

Am I understanding DreamHost right? That it's no longer necessary to buy separate hosting contracts for each domain (mine, several customers, family members, etc)? DH will sell a storage/bandwidth package to me and then I can use it up over its "Unlimited" domains, subdomains, MySQL Dbs, etc?
I'm with DH and that's how I understand their system (as I'm planning to add/host at least one more site under my account). I have the cheapest plan and only host 1 site with it, but can add domains, etc, up to my disk space & bandwidth capacity. The only cost I can see is for the yearly domain registration for every site above and beyond your initial one.

Looks like adding a domain would basically add another directory under your main user account folder (i.e. username/site1.com and username/site2.org). All your sites will show up in the active domain list of your web panel.

infernal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 06:01 AM

You can try www.hb9.net or www.maxdedicated.com they both are really good.
Visit >> MacTalkForum.com

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 09:48 AM

Another issue for chosing a HOST:

How good is email support? Esp.(since it's so often given little info on sales pages):
What sort of webmail interface do they use? Any good server-side address book used.

I'd especially like to hear from Dreamhost users about the ease of interface of the webmail since a lot of folks I support at my company are on the road w/o a laptop and have to access and respond to customers from whatever PC they can hijack to surf with :/

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 04:39 PM

FYI, everyone...
Some discussion of overload and outages and service problems because of overselling (among other things) at DreamHost (mid-Jan. to early Feb 2006)
I think that expecting expensive-level reliability and service from them is not reasonable. See webhostingtalk forum:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477218

Other mention of recent problems (for some):
http://www.epinions.com/inet-Web_Hos...splay_~reviews

admsitio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:08 AM

Dreamhost is very good, try it.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 02:00 PM

so, is the big "free" issue ads vs no ads? I made the big .mac mistake but now I am so friggin' entrenched in it that I can't see what it would be like without it... on the other hand my family likes it and its easy to use - I can't get complex things to host on it.

probably just the nut loose behind the keyboard . . .

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 04:25 PM

Well, I wouldn't call .mac a huge mistake. $100/year for family... convenience & integration w/Mac. It's email has been my MOST reliable during the last year.

But it's not really for web development.

There are many other cheap options out there if you want to have something to supplement your .mac ... something where you can use PHP/MySQL, etc.
( Last edited by Love Calm Quiet; Feb 16, 2006 at 11:24 PM. )

maccrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 06:31 PM

so, is the big "free" issue ads vs no ads?
Free hosting is generally also very unreliable.
maccrazy.net - Your

volcano
Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

I just signed up with Dreamhost at 12:30AM last night, and less than 2 hours later my domain was already registered, live, and FTP was ready to use. Quite outstanding.

Also, if you type in the promo code MAX97 you'll get a whopping $97 off all of their plans if you pre-pay for 1 or 2 years up front. If you prefer to pay monthly, that code will waive the $50 set up fee.

In the end, I got their 'Crazy Domain Insane' plan, with domain registration and all these features for only $22.40 - which is all I pay for the first year.

Etnier
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 09:55 AM

At this point I think the make/or/break for me is going to be how the mail server integrates with Mail. I've been on two hosts in a row where I have to manually remove all my mail every day or two and I'm very tired of it.

Anyone able to recommend a Mac-centric host at reasonable prices with optimal support for Apple's Mail application?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 11:33 AM

There shouldn't be any mac-centric issues. I use Mail app for .mac and mail at several different servers (including Gmail).

DreamHost was nice enough to have jpgs of how to step through your Mail app setup (although it wasn't the most recent version of Mail app that they showed.

maccrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2006, 04:15 PM

As Love Calm Quiet said, there shouldn't be any issues using Mail with any host out there. However, I can tell you that Mail.app works fine with TJR Networks. Though it is very unlikely, if you did have issues there is a 15-day money back guarantee.
maccrazy.net - Your

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 06:43 AM

Couldn't someone make this thread a STICKY or something.
Otherwise there's going to be periodic syphoning off into repetitions like in the "LunarPages or Bluehost?" thread.

FWIW, I don't see how you can beat DreamHost at this point. I did go for the 1-year basic with them, getting $60 off with the "SIMPLY60OFF" code (make sure to type that as "SIX ZERO off" -- NOT "six-oh off"). For the resulting $69/year, I've now got a dozen or so domains hosted there now. Since none of them gets the traffic of a MacNN forum, they don't seem to suffer any performance hit at all. (I was skeptical at first that they might: but if I don't fill out that particular host server myself somebody else might... so with a total of 20GB allotted to my account (summing all dozen domains)... who's to worry?

I like the idea that my hosting is costing even less per year than my registration

steveedge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 02:06 AM

There should not be any server issues using Apple's Mail. If there is then the server or mail application are not configured properly.
Steve Edge
Web Hosting and Design
Cafe Edge

Forum Links
Forum Rules