Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > A Lady In Distress - FileSharing

A Lady In Distress - FileSharing
Annette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 04:56 AM

Hi guys ... I need your help again. So this is an awesome opportunity to help a lady in distress ... don't miss it!

I have these 4 Mac's set up centered around a hub: A G4/450, a G3/400, a 7300/166 and a PB/400. Let's call them Alice, Beatrice, Christine and Dolly.

They all have FileSharing on. That's the way we have chosen to do it, don't give me anything about the wonders of a fileserver. This works fine - or rather ... it should.

So ... I start Alice and Beatrice and Christine and on Alice I can mount the share folder/disk on the other to machines. And I om on beatrice, i can mount Alice and Christine.

Then I go to Christine, and I mount Alice. No problem. Then I select chooser, click on AppleShare, move the cursor to the right and select a shared volume i.e. Beatrice. I doubleclick on the name Beatrice, and in the next window, I see Alice (in grey, as it is already mounted).

This is really weird. Really really weird.

And the same happens, if I start out mounting Beatrice, the Alice won't show up.

For reference ... if I then add Dolly the PB to the "network", it's the same. I casn mount either Alice or Beatrice, whichever is mounted first. But not the other one.

How did this happen?

Well. When I installed 9.0.4 I started out doing it on Alice. The copied the system folder to Beatrice. Made all the usual arrangements (adjusted necessary extensions and control panels and such and deleted a lot of preferences and ....)

Everything else works fine (well, almost ... I'll get back to that). What's going on? I have deleted what I could find of prefs related to filesharing and AppleShare Prep and .... I'm really confused about this.

The other thing that doesn't work on Beatrice is the keychain. I have to enter my Eudora (5.0 paid) password every time I start the program - and the keychain password every time I start the machine.

I DON*T WANT THE FRIGGIN' KEYCHAIN. I WANT TO GET RID OF IT. ONCE AND FOR GOOD. So i have deleted what I could find of Keychain related stuff. And i figured that would do it. Unfortunately it didn't.

Yes, I have the Save Password box checked in Eudora settings.

Please guys ... what did I miss here?

Annette

Cipher13
Feb 20, 2001, 05:26 AM

Well, I'll do whatever I can to help a lady in distress
Lesse... its a little confusing. I can't really help much... the best I can come up with is that when you copied the system folders, they retained some data and now share the same information, regarding their identities.
Know what I mean? Some AppleShare file.
That when Alice is mounted, and Beatrice is seen, it thinks beatrice is mounted also seeing as it thinks Alice and Beatrice are the same. And vice versa.
My advice is to disable the System Folder on one, install a new one, set it up from scratch, and see if it works.
If it does, then my hunch is right.
If not, well I guess it isn't, unless its some lower-lever conflict.
Try resetting the PRAM.
Don't delete the original System - just disable it, that way you can always go back to it, or bit by bit assimilate it into the new (and hopefully working) System Folder...
Get what I mean?
If you need me to explain any of that, just ask
HTH

Cipher13

Annette  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2001, 05:40 AM

Cipher

Yeah ... I have thought about that ... and I am sorry if it wasn't too clear ... I tried to explain it as simple as I could --- guess I'm not really in luck, eh?

What I had hoped for was somebosy saying "Hey A ... you haven't deleted xxxxxxx ... " and that would do the trick ... I am sure that information must be stored somewhere ...

But ... apparently there's no easy way out, so I guess I'll just have to clean install a new system and drag whatever i need from the old sys folder.

Thanks for trying ...

/A

Cipher13
Feb 20, 2001, 06:03 AM

Ok, I just set up a network emulating yours (man what a mess... blue cable going everywhere ) - a PM G4/400, PM G4/500 DP, and a PowerMac 5500/250 - for simplicity's sake, Noelle, Tracey and Bridgette.

I'm about to test it out, so bear with me.
BRB

Ok, here we go. Tracey logs onto both of Noelles partitions, and Bridgette no probs.
Bridgette logs onto both of Noelles partitions and Tracey no probs.
Noelle logs onto Bridgette and Tracey no probs.
So... I have no idea whats going on with your setup - Each of these comps has 3 drives mounted essentially.
Note that I logged on from each computer as the owner account.
I'd say a fresh installation of a System on a suspect computer should do the trick.
Perhaps delete or rebuild your AppleShare PDS files? Though I don't think they carry such identification data...
But its worth a try...
LOL, hope that helps... now to restor order to the house
Good luck...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-20-2001).]

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2001, 09:46 AM

My little brain balks at following all the implications of your connections, but may not the problem lie in "copying the system folder" - which would presumably include wherever (however many places) the "name", "user id" etc for the machine is stored?
Perhaps the chooser is getting id info from diff places.
If you set up "owner" etc after first install of new sys, that was prob copied Jobs-only-knows how many new places in new machine.
Copying of system features (extensions, etc) always makes me nervous about what undebuggable glitches will rear their heads later -- in system pieces designed to be strewn about in specific (but never disclosed) places by an installer.
Separate installs sounds a lot safer
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 01:00 PM

I don't know much about computers, but I've always had problems mounting more than one Alice, Beatrice, Christine or Dolly at the same time...

heh heh heh

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 02:05 PM

i get scared when people start referring to there comps with names, really really wierd

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2001, 07:39 PM

Don't know if I should even get in here:

Both MacWorld MacSecrets 5th ed - by David Pogue and Joseph Schorr - IDG Books - and
Mac OS 9 th Missing Manual - by D. Pogue - Pogue/O'Reilly Press

Have very good and straightforward sections on networking, and would help you sort all
this out.

Just a couple of thoughts, since you're using File Sharing:

1. Each computer has to have a different name in it's Set Up Assistant config.

2. In File Sharing, each computer has to have the SAME owner's name (you, that is).

3. Delete any passwords in File Sharing, since your Macs are all in-house.

4. From the host (master) Mac - find the other Macs using Network Browser.

If you copied the same System file to each Mac, the networking may be confused
because it's seeing more than one Mac with the same name, which it can't handle.

If I say any more - I'll get confused.

When someone mentions mounting/girls' names - I just can't keep my mind on computers.

It's a weakness - (to self: - steady there - have another smoke and a coffee.)

WDL

Cipher13
Feb 23, 2001, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by WDL:
When someone mentions mounting/girls' names - I just can't keep my mind on computers.

It's a weakness - (to self: - steady there - have another smoke and a coffee.)

WDL

I had to force myself to say 'log on' rather than mount - I wouldn't've been able to pay attention to the issue at hand otherwise
LOL

Cipher13

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 02:37 AM

I'll resist the joke that comes to hand, Cipher

But as for file sharing across computers, the trick is to make sure that the various computers do in fact have different names. An alternative, which should work regardless of what name the computers have, is to try to log on ( mount, or throw a cable over or whatever metaphor you want) via the TCP/IP protocol that your AppleShare gives you. If you can do that, then probably the trouble your having is connected to the way you've named the computers, and that naming problem is connected (or mounted or whatever) to the way you moved System Folders from one computer to the next. In doing that you probably also moved the name of the first computer to the second, and so on. If you still have your Mac OS set up assistant on the various computers, why don't you start it up and change the computer name that way.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
Feb 24, 2001, 05:29 AM

Haha, that was on purpose
I could only get 2 puns in there though

Or just change it in the File Sharing control panel.

Cipher13

Annette  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 10:47 AM

Limbo boys. Limbo.

I asked a serious question ... and I named the computers A B and C to make it simpler.

/A

BlaKaT
Feb 25, 2001, 09:55 PM

Fist, the easy one, Keychain. I don't use Eudora so I don't know it it's keychain aware, if it still has an option to store it's own password it's probably not. If you aren't using your keychain for anything else, go to the padlock in the control strip and select show available keychains, a folder will open, delete the keychain file. This will remove any passwords you have stored in keychain, if your keychain is comming up at startup it generaly means that you have the passwords to your filesharing stored in the keychain.

As far as the apple talk setup goes, I'd probably start out again.
Files to delete all in preferences folder:
everything in the filesharing folder (all the PDF files)
File Sharing CP prefs
Users & Groups CP prefs
Users & Groups Data File

this is on mac os 9, I can't remember the files on previous systems but they were very similar. then set up each machine again.

Hope this helps

Adam

Cipher13
Feb 26, 2001, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Annette:
Limbo boys. Limbo.

I asked a serious question ... and I named the computers A B and C to make it simpler.

/A
... so how'd it go?

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules