Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Should Obama select Hillary as VP?

View Poll Results: Should Obama pick Hillary as VP?
Poll Options:
Yes 7 votes (14.58%)
No 41 votes (85.42%)
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Should Obama select Hillary as VP?
WayzataXC05
Jun 5, 2008, 01:05 AM

I've been an Obama fan since he gave his speech at the convention in 2004, but I've also been a loyal Clinton (both Bill and Hillary) for as long as I can remember. If Obama picks Hillary she will likely bring with her a huge amount of women voters (especially those that are yelling that they'll vote for McCain over Obama). But with Hillary as VP, the conservative base will be more likely to come out and vote against her. Also with Hillary, Obama has to deal with Bill on the campaign and in the white house. So if not Hillary, than who? Richardson, Dodd, Rendell, that female governor of Kansas (can't remember her name)??? What do you guys think?
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hillary won't be on the ticket. Bill factor.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 04:31 AM

The way that Clinton has been waging her campaign, if I were Obama, I wouldn’t trust her on my team.

I think he should try and get Kucinich or Paul as a running mate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 04:43 AM

Ron Paul? Man, if he were Obama's running mate, I would actually vote Democrat in this election. Of course, I think he's about as likely to pick Britney Spears, so…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by WayzataXC05 View Post
I've been an Obama fan since he gave his speech at the convention in 2004, but I've also been a loyal Clinton (both Bill and Hillary) for as long as I can remember. If Obama picks Hillary she will likely bring with her a huge amount of women voters (especially those that are yelling that they'll vote for McCain over Obama). But with Hillary as VP, the conservative base will be more likely to come out and vote against her. Also with Hillary, Obama has to deal with Bill on the campaign and in the white house. So if not Hillary, than who? Richardson, Dodd, Rendell, that female governor of Kansas (can't remember her name)??? What do you guys think?
He'll give Hillary a token position as "healthcare tzar". Richardson would likely be the best choice. Obama's clearly got the African-American vote and this move would help shore up the Latino vote. Richardson has a wealth of experience both domestically and internationally which would help immensely with Obama's lack of foreign policy experience and the overall perception that he's a little wet behind the ears.

Why not a Wesley Clark in your choices?
ebuddy

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 07:42 AM

It's too early. If he feels he needs her to win, yes. Otherwise let's all wait a wile and see how things go.

So many names out there. Jim Webb's an option, for example, if you want someone with a military background. I'm not sure what Wesley Clark politically brings to the table - he certainly didn't impress in 04.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure if I want Hillary on the ticket.
But to avoid the Bill factor, I'd work out a deal with the New York Governor (who is a Clinton supporter) that if Hillary becomes Vice President, Gov. Paterson would appoint Bill to fill the seat for the next Congressional session until the 2010 election cycle.

I'm sure Bill would love it, since he would get to have interns again....

I agree Richardson would be the best choice, although I don't think his head would fit in the door at the Naval Observatory....

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by WayzataXC05 View Post
If the OP's name indicates he / she lives in Wayzata, MN, proper context should be given to his / her position.

The city of Wayzata, MN is one of the richest communities in MN. It's cracker white, über conservative and needless to say, Republican. To give you an idea, Bush, Cheney, Rove and a host of other Republicans came to Wayzata several times to fundraise for Michelle Bachman, a Rep. who was running for office in 2004. If the OP can be an Obama fan in Wayzata, my hat's off.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ron Paul? Man, if he were Obama's running mate, I would actually vote Democrat in this election. Of course, I think he's about as likely to pick Britney Spears, so…
No, she's scheduled to be in treatment through out most of the election.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
If the OP's name indicates he / she lives in Wayzata, MN, proper context should be given to his / her position.

The city of Wayzata, MN is one of the richest communities in MN. It's cracker white, über conservative and needless to say, Republican. To give you an idea, Bush, Cheney, Rove and a host of other Republicans came to Wayzata several times to fundraise for Michelle Bachman, a Rep. who was running for office in 2004. If the OP can be an Obama fan in Wayzata, my hat's off.
My family's from Stillwater and we all vote Democrat. I think we may be in the minority for our community, but on the other hand we moved out there in 1992 before most of the WASPs got in.

My opinion is that an Obillary ticket wouldn't be the greatest. I think the militant Hillary supporters, the ones who would actually vote for McCain rather than Obama, wouldn't care if Hillary was on the ticket. They'd see Hillary's position as VP candidate as demeaning, and the ones who are afraid of Obama because he's black aren't going to change their minds no matter what. It also risks alienating certain Obama supporters, but probably not to a very great extent.

One argument in favor of Obama/Clinton is that those two have amassed tens of millions of votes already. Even though Obama was the clear winner, Hillary still got nearly 50% of the votes in a huge primary season. You can't argue with how much support they've gotten.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 09:21 AM

In my view an Obama / Clinton ticket would be a disaster. Take election strategy out of it and you end up with an empty suit standing next to a very intelligent person.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 10:17 AM

If he picked Britney Spears, he'd be a shoe-in.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
They'd have to have the victory party at the Betty Ford Clinic.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
He's a shoe-in already.

I think Joe Biden should be the VP. He has the experience and balls.
The Religious Right is neither.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
He's a shoe-in already.

I think Joe Biden should be the VP. He has the experience and balls.
If Obama can beat a guy with a whole different magnitude of funding who isn't afraid to play dirty, I'll be really impressed. Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill.
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 02:12 PM

Obama should take General Clark as his VP, and make Hillary Head of State.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 02:31 PM

If Obama can beat a guy with a whole different magnitude of funding who isn't afraid to play dirty, I'll be really impressed. Old age and treachery overcome youth and skill.
Yeah McCain sure will have a whole different magnitude of funding: much less.

Anyway, the big myth of this election is that Clinton is somehow the great white hope of working-class whites. Most all of Hillary's voters are simply "low-information" loyal Democrats who voted for her because she's a Clinton. Some are probably women who wanted a woman to win the white house. And others just wouldn't vote for a black man. Picking Clinton won't change a thing: Obama is going to win all of the loyal democrats whoever the veep is, all of those women whoever the veep is, and none of the racists whoever the veep is. Picking Clinton does nothing for him.

IMO, Richardson is the best choice.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 02:40 PM

I thought McCain was supposed to be both above dirty campaigning (see 2000 when Bush's campagn went after his adopted daughter) and for campaign finace reform. Let's hope all his money is clean as a whistle and he can stick to the issues and not do lame character assassinations.

But I agree that it's going to be close, a bit dirty and every little edge will count. He should spend some money to seem less old and out of touch.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Yeah McCain sure will have a whole different magnitude of funding: much less.

Anyway, the big myth of this election is that Clinton is somehow the great white hope of working-class whites. Most all of Hillary's voters are simply "low-information" loyal Democrats who voted for her because she's a Clinton. Some are probably women who wanted a woman to win the white house. And others just wouldn't vote for a black man. Picking Clinton won't change a thing: Obama is going to win all of the loyal democrats whoever the veep is, all of those women whoever the veep is, and none of the racists whoever the veep is. Picking Clinton does nothing for him.

I admit I haven't been following the money closely just lately, but last I checked, the Republicans had a lot more money banked. Did that change when I wasn't looking?
Chuck
___

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 02:45 PM

So maybe I'll have to change my opinion here and say that Hillary Clinton as VP would be a good thing. Ignorant Clinton supporters who are willing to betray their own interests to elect John McCain are probably dumb enough to fall for the whole "VP is important" trick. I don't think they realize that moving Clinton from the Senate floor to the vice presidency would actually decrease her power, because it would at least be a psychological victory for them and for those who want to see a woman get elected.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 04:58 PM

I admit I haven't been following the money closely just lately, but last I checked, the Republicans had a lot more money banked. Did that change when I wasn't looking?
It's generally been the case in the past, but the last couple of election cycles have seen Dems with more money. And Obama has been in the stratosphere with money, and is generally expected to have more than McCain. Check this out.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 6, 2008, 12:49 AM

A Vice-President has no real power, OK, puppet-master Cheney did. That era is over.

Better to be Secretary of State or some such.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Agreed. I'm considering voting for Obama, meaning mainly that I'm not happy Barr got the LP nomination and haven't decided if I want to throw my vote away on him. If he picks Hillary for his VP, I vote for Barr (or nobody). If he picks Richardson for his VP, I vote for Obama/Richardson then, in 4-8 years I very likely vote for Richardson for president (barring, of course, the possibility that the Republicans or LP manage to nominate someone worthwhile).

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
In my view an Obama / Clinton ticket would be a disaster. Take election strategy out of it and you end up with an empty suit pantsuit standing next to a very intelligent person.
Fixed.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Jim Webb's an option, for example, if you want someone with a military background.
Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Originally Posted by BRussell
Agreed.
I like Jim Webb, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, and Richardson, in roughly that order.

Webb really could put Virginia in play, has incontestable military experience, and as a former Republican reinforces Obama's "politics of unity" message. And of course he may help offset Obama's weakness with Appalachian whites.

Schweitzer is a tough-and-gruff guy from a western red state. Obama already shows potential to tip Colorado and New Mexico, and Schweitzer could reinforce that trend. His funny and plainspoken style clicks well with Obama's message of respectful dialogue.

Richardson would of course help put the Southwest into play. And he also brings considerable foreign policy experience. I'm not crazy about his stage presence, but that doesn't matter too much for a VP, and arguably you don't want someone to outshine Obama anyway.

Things I don't like -- Webb is a real economic populist, which reinforces the annoying anti-trade strain in Obama. Schweitzer is young and without foreign policy experience, or really any long experience. Richardson does nothing to help Obama with the vaguely suspicious white people that, sadly, make up a considerable portion of the electorate.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 01:45 PM

Here's a dream ticket that my friend suggested last night. Make that two:

Obama-Powell
McCain-Powell

Colin Powell will definitely not be on either ticket. There's just no chance. But imagine how much he could do for either campaign.

With Obama, he'd draw in lots of voters with an unprecedented (in modern times) cross-party ticket and decades of foreign policy and national security experience. His past support of the Iraq War wouldn't even hurt him that much since he got out when he realized what a sham it was and publicly admitted that we had made a mistake.

With McCain, he could soften his image up, though McCain is already seen by many as being more progressive than many Republicans and I'm not sure they need that. However, he would also split a lot of Obama's support among blacks, where even just a little bit could swing the results in his favor. The fact that Powell is seen as a really reasonable guy and a moderate would probably win over a lot of swing voters, staunch conservatives notwithstanding.

But like I said, this will never happen. Kinda too bad, because I think Obama-Powell really is a dream ticket and perhaps the only cross-party matchup that could possibly work.

On a joking note, I've seen a few "Obama/Prime '08" things floating around. It'd be cool to have a giant transforming robot as a vice president.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 01:48 PM

I would love that. But yeah, never gonna happen. Not to mention the whole OMG two black guys factor, which is of course hysterically funny considering how many "two white guys" tickets there have been.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2008, 01:50 PM

The problem I see with McCain is that every threat to the U.S. will be answered with, "Get the hell off my lawn!"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Here's a dream ticket that my friend suggested last night. Make that two:

Obama-Powell
McCain-Powell
Obama has been staunchly against the war in Iraq from the beginning, while Powell is one of the people most responsible for the pooch-screw. How would that be a good ticket? You may as well suggest Dick Cheney.
Chuck
___

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 08:16 PM

The big problem with picking Clinton a VP is that Obama would no longer be able to hammer anyone regarding taking money special interests. The Clintons are masters of big donations from special interests. Also, the Clintons define politics as usual. Bringing Hillary on violates some of the main tenets of his campaign.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 11:37 PM

I think he aughta hit McCain where he lives.

Clinton, no. Baggage. That's why the Republicans wanted her so badly on the ticket-- because they could inflame the base against her.

Ron Paul? Are you totally insane? I mean really.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The problem I see with McCain is that every threat to the U.S. will be answered with, "Get the hell off my lawn!"
I think I'd be psyched to see that play out. Older folks who've lived a while have seen bullsh-t come and go, and they don't have the time or patience for such BS.

McCain would be so much better a candidate if he took on that persona. This "really nice man" schtick he's slinging seems a bit fake to me.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 01:41 AM

Obama has been staunchly against the war in Iraq from the beginning, while Powell is one of the people most responsible for the pooch-screw. How would that be a good ticket? You may as well suggest Dick Cheney.
Well, few would be more qualified than Cheney. He knows his way through the woods.

Based on my limited exposure to Powell, I am not a big fan. I don't think he's a leader. I realize he's had leadership positions, but it's always serving someone else. If he would go out on his own and run a basic lemonade stand, then perhaps I'd be a bit more into him. Instead, he seems like the type who is waiting for someone else to start the lemonade stand and hand over management to him.

I also think Powell is a pass-the-buck man, so he desires positions where he can blame others for his failings.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2008, 01:49 AM

No.

I'm hoping Obama goes with somebody who has some national security or military cred. Specifically, I'd do a cartwheel if he went with Wes Clark.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Obama should take General Clark as his VP, and make Hillary Head of State.
I agree about the Wesley Clark choice. I had high hopes for him when he showed interest in the presidency. The more I read about him, the more I liked him. A military man as a second would do Obama wonders.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 10:48 AM

Maybe Obama should choose Lieberman

“Building Better Worlds”

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
I think it's more likely for McCain to choose Lieberman.....

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
I somehow doubt that's what they were discussing in the Senate the other day. Lieberman really should change parties.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 09:47 AM

With all due respect, you're using fuzzy history here. Powell gave the case to the UN but, to his own admission, he was lied to and thus unknowingly brought bad info that body. Yes, he was the face for the CIA's blunder but unwittingly. He's since distanced himself from the administration and has spoken out against them.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
The big problem with picking Clinton a VP is that Obama would no longer be able to hammer anyone regarding taking money special interests. The Clintons are masters of big donations from special interests. Also, the Clintons define politics as usual. Bringing Hillary on violates some of the main tenets of his campaign.
To your point, Clinton flies in the face of Obama's message of change. She's of the political elite, she's propped up by special interests and she'd bring along Billy.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Well, few would be more qualified than Cheney. He knows his way through the woods.

Based on my limited exposure to Powell, I am not a big fan. I don't think he's a leader. I realize he's had leadership positions, but it's always serving someone else. If he would go out on his own and run a basic lemonade stand, then perhaps I'd be a bit more into him. Instead, he seems like the type who is waiting for someone else to start the lemonade stand and hand over management to him.

I also think Powell is a pass-the-buck man, so he desires positions where he can blame others for his failings.

Powell demonstrated competent, effective leadership with America's Promise. He wasn't answering to anyone by starting and running that initiative. Why would you ignore such a noble and successful effort?

Powell is pass the buck? Blah, he was a fall guy for the trust fund biitch currently residing in the White House.

I'll ignore the Cheney reference. This country has heard enough about that corrupt bastard. I hope his pacemaker fails violently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules