Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nobel, is it April First?

Nobel, is it April First?
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 07:16 AM

President Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Seriously, didn't this award have some kind of real meaning at one time? Obama has done virtually NOTHING and accomplished virtually nothing in regards to world peace. I can buy the argument that he's talked about it, and that he's likely to be much more subservient to the rest of the world and ignore America's own self interest in an effort to keep the far left happy, but does that really earn him a prize that was at one time prestigious?

Nobel was teetering on being a laughable joke. I think they took away the "funny" this time around.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2009, 07:23 AM

Sour grapes. If your boyfriend Glen Beck had won, it would be the best prize ever.
Obama rules, Beck drools...(well he does rule over the simpletons)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 07:25 AM

I like the guy, and I think this is ridiculous. Maybe if it was given near the end of his term, for his actual accomplishments, it would be different. Evenything he has done to this point, while a good start, has not been concluded yet. What if he actually does something worthy of the prize before leaving office, are they gonna award it again?

This is basically an award for not being George W. Bush. I hope he declines it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 07:26 AM

It went downhill after Carter in 2002
45/47

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 07:28 AM

The most powerful country in the world went from being dicks to making efforts to cooperate. That's huge news for the rest of the world. I don't think it's worthy of a prize for Obama, though. Most people are more cooperative than Bush.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Sour grapes. If your boyfriend Glen Beck had won, it would be the best prize ever.
Obama rules, Beck drools...(well he does rule over the simpletons)
No. I'd be equally confused. Beck's never done anything in regards to "world peace" either. While I do watch him occasionally and liked him bringing down some recent corruption, I wouldn't exactly call him my "boyfriend". I think I've complimented him in about one thread.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It went downhill after Carter in 2002
I think it started with Arafat.

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
The most powerful country in the world went from being dicks to making efforts to cooperate.
Cooperation does not equal capitulation and if cooperation was the goal, then countries like France who were actively hurting efforts to get Iraq to comply with UN dictates should be given a "Peace Prize" eqivalent to the "Razzies". It's irrational to cooperate with countries who wish us and our allies destroyed. For instance, we've talked of cooperation till we are blue in the face with the Palestinians and it's achieved virtually nothing. Not because the effort has not been made, but rather because some countries simply aren't interested in peace or cooperation if it means their own self interests are not being met. If the US acts on it's own self interests however, that's uncooperative apparently.

Again...it's all talk. What "peace" has it produced? What has he ACTUALLY DONE besides talk. You mean if George Bush just went out and talked about cooperation, he would have gotten one too?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 07:52 AM

He can always decline the award.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 07:52 AM

thank you for your prize nobel, NOW INTIFADAHHHH against ALL OSLO AGREEMENTS
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 07:57 AM

0bama hardly earned a "Rookie of the Year" and he sure didn't do anything to earn any other award. Talk is cheap. This must be the only criteria. He gave a lot of hot air filled vague speeches.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 08:11 AM

So now Obama and Arafat have something in common. (Aside from being Muslim, of course).

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 08:31 AM

You libs sure have your shorts in a knot over Glenn Beck. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2009, 08:38 AM

In the words of a friend of mine:

If Obama is an "international rock star" as described by NPR this morning, then the Nobel Committee is now his biggest groupie. Yes, that's right. A Nobel Prize is now the equivalent of a blow job.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 08:57 AM

Yeah, I don't think this award makes a whole lot of sense.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 09:05 AM

Count me in as someone who voted for him and doesn’t think this makes a lick of sense.

(Though to be fair, if I’d lived in a non-swing state, I’d’ve voted for Barr or nobody)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
This is basically an award for not being George W. Bush. I hope he declines it.
I think this sums it up perfectly.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 09:19 AM

I read somewhere that the nominations for this award were submitted on February 1 of this year. if that is true, then the Chairman Maobama was President for 10 whole days before he was nominated? Really?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 09:36 AM

Yup.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I like the guy, and I think this is ridiculous.
Me too, on both counts.

It almost seems that the Nobel guys are trying very, very, very to influence the political process with a presidential n00b.

"Hey if we give this dude a Nobel Peace Prize, maybe he'll be even more peaceful to live up to the prize. And oh yeah, he's not Dubya."

P.S. Here are the other nominees:

Nicolas Sarkozy, French president

Along with Egypt's president, Sarkozy proposed the ceasefire plan for the Gaza Strip conflict in January. European Union president from July, 2008 to December, 2008, Sarkozy pushed for approval of a progressive energy package that would force companies to severely reduce emissions.

Ingrid Betancourt, French-Colombian ex-hostage

If anyone knows how to bounce back from tragedy, it's Betancourt. During the Colombian senator's 2002 presidential campaign, she was abducted by a marxist organization and held captive for six-and-a-half years. Since being rescued in July, 2008, she has been dubbed a “freedom fighter” and “symbol of hope.”

Denis Mukwege, Medical doctor

Seeing pregnant women arrive at the hospital on a donkey and dying during childbirth encouraged Mukwege to study gynaecology and obstetrics. Noticing that so many women had been sexually abused, he later founded the Panzi hospital in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Hundreds of thousands of female sexual violence victims have been helped so far.

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition

These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon. Thirty-four nations are known to have air-dropped cluster bombs from the 1970s to the 1990s.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Chairman Maobama
That's a new one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's a new one.
Actually it isn't. I heard Maobama during the presidential race.

And it's just as stupid as all the other "witty" names for any candidate/president.

I must admit though that I chuckled when I heard the "Obama, Osama, Yo Mama" quote.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Sounds like a weak year for Peace Prize nominees. Sort of like the Dolphins winning the AFC East last year.

(Kidding)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 10:11 AM

Imagine if something like this happened with the other Nobel Prizes.

Let's say there was a new 45 year old Dean of Research at Harvard, who got the job because he's not only published some very good research papers in physics, supervised some Ph.D. students, and edited some journals, but also because he is also a good administrator and plays the office politics game very well.

Then the Nobel guys give the Nobel Prize for Physics to him because he's a nice guy and has a lot of potential, even though he is responsible for much less truly ground-breaking work than some of his peers.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 10:17 AM

When I heard this my first response was "That's crap!" (I actually said that out loud to my monitor.) My second thought was, what a way to diminish the Peace Prize. As Dork said, this should have been awarded at the end of his time in office--if he had done something worthy of it--not at the beginning.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
The most powerful country in the world went from being dicks to making efforts to cooperate. That's huge news for the rest of the world. I don't think it's worthy of a prize for Obama, though.
True dat.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 10:24 AM

P.S. Here are the other nominees:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Sounds like a weak year for Peace Prize nominees.
Yup.

Hell, perennial nominee Bono could have picked up the award this year and it would have made more sense than Obama or Sarkozy being the winner.

This is me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 10:43 AM

If the descriptions for any of these candidates are accurate pictures of what they have done, then they would have been more deserving IMHO:

Denis Mukwege, Medical doctor

Seeing pregnant women arrive at the hospital on a donkey and dying during childbirth encouraged Mukwege to study gynaecology and obstetrics. Noticing that so many women had been sexually abused, he later founded the Panzi hospital in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Hundreds of thousands of female sexual violence victims have been helped so far.

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition

These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon. Thirty-four nations are known to have air-dropped cluster bombs from the 1970s to the 1990s.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 11:00 AM

As others have stated, I'm an Obama supporter. And this makes no sense to me. I can appreciate the sentiment of the Nobel Prize committee, but to award this prize now is way too soon. President Obama would do well to thank them for the honor and then promptly decline the award.

OAW

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
As others have stated, I'm an Obama supporter. And this makes no sense to me. I can appreciate the sentiment of the Nobel Prize committee, but to award this prize now is way too soon. President Obama would do well to thank them for the honor and then promptly decline the award.

OAW
That's what I thought. It's pretty pre-mature. I almost think that Nobel should be a posthumous award, at least for such high figurehead.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
Completely agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 11:11 AM

At night Obama dresses up in a costume and flies around the world in his experimental "O-Plane" to fight crime and rights wrongs. Not many people know this but being President of the United States is just a cover for his real job... he does it for the inside info and access to Martian technology to use in his gadgets.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:26 AM

Whether or not you like Obama, he hasn't actually accomplished anything relevant to this prize. You may as well give it to a Miss America contestant because she said what she most wants is world peace.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:33 AM

What's the world coming to?

Most of the lefties and righties alike in this forum agree on this issue. THE END IS NIGH!!!11

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2009, 11:34 AM

Between this and rape bill its been a good week.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 11:41 AM

I love how CNN has taken to reporting random Twitter feeds:

Others had praise. One person wrote: "My president Just won the Nobel peace prize!!!! Go prez Obama."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:42 AM

Count me in for another WTF.

To me, this is nothing but political manipulation by the Nobel Price Committee.

Does anybody think Obama is now as free in foreign policy decisions as he was before ?
Anything he does will now be judged against this "achievement".

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2009, 11:47 AM

I don't know if its even manipulation. It feels like a big middle finger being thrown at conservatives in general and W specifically.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I love how CNN has taken to reporting random Twitter feeds:
My news agency Just quoted some anonymous dude on Twitter!!!! Go CNN.
Chuck
___

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:51 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this incredibly ridiculous.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:55 AM

Heh. I really like the way this guy worded it:

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, last year's Peace Prize laureate, said it was clear the Nobel committee wanted to encourage Obama on the issues he has been discussing on the world stage.

He didn't diss Obama, but echoed what we've been saying in this thread.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 12:17 PM

Like not taking on Iran or increasing troops in Afghanistan
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 12:20 PM

I nominate BadKosh for the Nobel Prize in "clever use of the number zero."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 12:21 PM

Obama made his speech.

I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee.

Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize, men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents.

And I know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
At least he admitted he didn't really deserve it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 12:22 PM

The Peace Prize, by the way, has little to do with the academic Nobel Prize awards. It is purely ceremonial and is ridiculed for its political bias.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I nominate BadKosh for the Nobel Prize in "clever use of the number zero."
Sec0nded.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Like not taking on Iran or increasing troops in Afghanistan
Exactly. That's why I see this as a political manipulation, because it puts Obama in a box w/o any alternatives.

His negotiation base on all kinds of topics has now become much weaker. Everyone he's going to negotiate with knows that he has to live up to the expectations. Obama will pay almost any price to achieve the goal of justifying this award.

Ultimately though, this is a confirmation that he really is a weakling peacemaker.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Exactly. That's why I see this as a political manipulation, because it puts Obama in a box w/o any alternatives.

His negotiation base on all kinds of topics has now become much weaker. Everyone he's going to negotiate with knows that he has to live up to the expectations. Obama will pay almost any price to achieve the goal of justifying this award.
-t
I don't know why you would think this. If anything it puts the prize committee on the hot seat if Obama doesn't live up to expectations. They can't take the award away if he decides in 2010 to invade Mexico for no reason. Clearly they want to encourage Obama's efforts in certain areas that have already been declared, but I don't think that's the same as putting him in "a box." Obama has already made certain pledges and concessions that are equally if not more limiting.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Oct 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 12:33 PM

Actually it isn't. I heard Maobama during the presidential race.

And it's just as stupid as all the other "witty" names for any candidate/president.
Aren't you the guy who just said "Dubya" 16 minutes earlier? Hypocrite much?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 12:42 PM

Dubya is just a nickname. I don't think it was ever meant to be witty. At least I hope not.
Chuck
___

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 12:50 PM

The only thing that's a bigger joke than Obama winning the Prize or the prize itself, is the portraying of this by the administration as some sort of surprise.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 12:57 PM

Well, the Obama administration apparently projected the IOC votes incorrectly on the 2016 Olympics decision when they decided to send Obama to Copenhagen, so I'm not surprised that something like this could take them by surprise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules