Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > If IE doesn't work, fix it yourself!

If IE doesn't work, fix it yourself!
Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 03:26 PM

I did a search but didn't find these posted before. I have found them incredibly useful, so here they are:

Problem 1: IE sucks at correctly rendering CSS.
Solution: Use Dean Edwards's custom style sheet. Simply by including it in one of your standards-compliant sites, IE will magically display it correctly! :hover will correctly work (thank God!) as well as positioning.

MindFad is gonna love this next one...

Problem 2: IE sucks at displaying PNGs
Solution: Well, IE can do transparencies, but mainly through their own proprietary filters. By including one .htc file on your server and then adding a single line to your stylesheet, your PNG will become transparent in IE by leveraging one of these filters!

Hope that helps some of you as much as it has helped me.

UPDATE: The latest versions of IE7 have PNG support, so you no longer need to use both hacks.
( Last edited by Turias; Aug 11, 2004 at 08:57 AM. )

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 06:40 PM

Awesome tips!! I have just made this thread a sticky.

..oh wait, I can't do that.

[Edit: It seems I can. I never cease to amaze myself ]
( Last edited by thePurpleGiant; Mar 17, 2004 at 09:52 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Awesome tips!! I have just made this thread a sticky.

..oh wait, I can't do that.
...no, but I can

I can't leave it up here forever, of course, but it's useful enough that I'll buy it a little time so that people can just check it out.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 18, 2004, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
...no, but I can

I can't leave it up here forever, of course, but it's useful enough that I'll buy it a little time so that people can just check it out.
can you sticky a favicon thread, please? i think i'm going to throw knives at the next person who doesn't search and just asks.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
can you sticky a favicon thread, please? i think i'm going to throw knives at the next person who doesn't search and just asks.
I was one of those people once

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 18, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
I was one of those people once
apply your hand to your face in a rapid manner, please. repeat procedure 10 times.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
apply your hand to your face in a rapid manner, please. repeat procedure 10 times.
bwhaha! I'd rather see the next person stabbed in the face with a ceramic shard from a broken toilet.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 18, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by derbs:
bwhaha! I'd rather see the next person stabbed in the face with a ceramic shard from a broken toilet.
that's the spirit, man!

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2004, 04:57 PM

I find that png script to be trying.

I have been having trouble with it, so I put together a simple test page.

It's also incorporating png files from another project I'm working. It uses javascript to swap png files much like a roll over.

Anyway, on VPC the swapped pngs lose transparency. Also, png files used as a background lose transparency. The latter I'm certain is getting past this script, and the former may be due to VPC running java too slowly, or because they elude the script as well.

Does anyone have any further insight into this?

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2004, 09:29 PM

I used to use the webfx png fixer on my site, but it was kind of spotty. I just re-enabled it and am seeing the same problems. Basically the pngs will sometimes load correctly (with transparency), normally (without transparency) or the behavior gets stuck half way through and just displays the blank.gif. Pretty annoying.

~BS

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 11:59 PM

Funny, I haven't had any problem with the PNG script. I just followed his example page, which works quite well.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 06:26 AM

I've always used Sleight for displaying PNGs.

http://www.allinthehead.com/retro/69

Still has some limitations though. Doesn't work with PNGs that are background images of table cells etc. but the latest one works with CSS background images

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by derbs:
I've always used Sleight for displaying PNGs.

http://www.allinthehead.com/retro/69

Still has some limitations though. Doesn't work with PNGs that are background images of table cells etc. but the latest one works with CSS background images
I have also used sleight in the past. In fact, I've used that on a very similar test page, and I get the same results. NB: this test page doesn't use bgsleight which has its own problems (repeat issues in particular).

I am beginning to think that IE's proprietary alpha loader is simply too memory intensive to be of any practical use.

Has anyone successfully used pngs in rollovers?
( Last edited by registered_user; Mar 19, 2004 at 09:54 AM. )

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 12:34 PM

I think we're going to have to wait for IE7 before there's a proper solution. surely they'll sort the PNG issue out by then....

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 04:58 AM

I always thought that the solution to IE problems is to move IE to the trash and empty it.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 06:18 PM

How do you make a favicon? (I kid, I kid)

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
I did a search but didn't find these posted before. I have found them incredibly useful, so here they are:

Problem 1: IE sucks at correctly rendering CSS.
Solution: Use Dean Edwards's custom style sheet. Simply by including it in one of your standards-compliant sites, IE will magically display it correctly! :hover will correctly work (thank God!) as well as positioning.
Well I am having a hard time getting this to work. I apply it and it turns the page all white except the text and images if you want to test (test it out on IE for Win of course):

No IE7 magic for me

Any help much appreciated

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Well I am having a hard time getting this to work. I apply it and it turns the page all white except the text and images if you want to test (test it out on IE for Win of course):

No IE7 magic for me

Any help much appreciated
Have you gotten IE7 to work on a simpler page? If so, have you tried to narrow down the problem to anything specific on your site? Try deleting chunks of your HTML code until you find what breaks it.

Once you figure that out, try e-mailing the author. The times I have e-mailed him he's been incredibly responsive.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 05:13 PM

Just as an update, I've implemented IE7 on my large CMS driven site with div:hovers galore. It works great, except for one thing:

It takes an extra 15 seconds to load each page on IE.

I'm going to e-mail the author and see what he thinks.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 07:41 PM

Just as an update, I've implemented IE7 on my large CMS driven site with div:hovers galore. It works great, except for one thing:

It takes an extra 15 seconds to load each page on IE.

I'm going to e-mail the author and see what he thinks.
I just got a reply from Dean:

Dean Edwards said:
i'm aware of this problem. and have a soultion. expect the next release of IE7 to be a LOT quicker.
regards,
-dean
Excellent.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 12:41 AM

I thought I'd add my recently gained wisdom to this thread.

I use a small JavaScript to serve up different stylesheets depending on the browser, because IE sh*ts a brick when it sees position:fixed elements (or is there a workaround I don't know about?). After struggling to maintain said script with it embedded separately in each page of my site, I got wise and made it external instead. Now here's the problem:

My site is XHTML1.0 strict, so I figured now that my <script></script> environment is empty, I should make it <script />. Wrong. This works just fine in Mozilla-derived browsers, but IE and iCab just flake out entirely. I think they decide that the <script> never closes until end of file. Anyway, reverting to <script></script> works for all browsers and validates, so there you go.

I hope this saves someone unnecessary pain.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
IE sh*ts a brick when it sees position:fixed elements (or is there a workaround I don't know about?).
Solution
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 10:43 AM

solution -

1. design your site using standards compliant code.
2. check it validates on W3C website.
3. publish site.
4. apply boot to testicles of anyone using internet explorer who tries to tell you the site "isn't working properly", whilst shouting loudly "no. your f**king browser isn't working properly!"

repeat until microsoft release standards compliant browser [or ad infinitum - whichever is the sooner]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2004, 11:26 AM

Dean Edwards' awesome IE7 JavaScript/stylesheet/miracle/whateveryouwanttocallit has been updated; it can now handle position:fixed and PNG transparency as well as the other stuff.

Robbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
solution -

3. publish site.
4. apply boot to testicles of anyone using internet explorer who tries to tell you the site "isn't working properly", whilst shouting loudly "no. your f**king browser isn't working properly!"

repeat until microsoft release standards compliant browser [or ad infinitum - whichever is the sooner]
If only this solution worked!
Thank you madra - not only have you made me realise I'm not the only one who wants to do this, you gave me a good chuckle too......
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 22, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
solution -

3. publish site.

I APPROVE!

Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 10:41 PM

IE7 doesn't help the box_model problem on IE for Mac though, right? Yeah, I know, everyone should use Safari or something else, but still, I had to check.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Avenir:
IE7 doesn't help the box_model problem on IE for Mac though, right? Yeah, I know, everyone should use Safari or something else, but still, I had to check.
What problem are you referring to? I'm familiar with many problems with IE's box model, and IE7 fixes these, but I don't know of any IE/Mac issues with the box model.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
What problem are you referring to? I'm familiar with many problems with IE's box model, and IE7 fixes these, but I don't know of any IE/Mac issues with the box model.
I'm not sure if that's exactly what it's called, but there is still a slight problem with padding/margins on this page that works in Safari, is fixed in IE Win with IE7, but still renders funky in IE Mac. In the end, my solution was to just give up on IE Mac, it's only a little bit off.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 12:04 AM

UPDATE: The latest versions of IE7 have PNG support, so you no longer need to use both hacks.
I just happened to check out a site I'm building on IE7 earlier, it has one 24-bit transparent PNG, which displayed with a solid gray background (IE5:Mac doesn't have this problem). So I'm going to have to look into the hack anyway, or just JPEG it (more likely).

Edit: Whoops, no, turns out I was using IE6. I was under the impression that XP SP2 actually had IE7?! Whatever...
( Last edited by Apfhex; Dec 20, 2004 at 11:52 PM. )

projos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 12:54 AM

Wow -- that's super! Thanks.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 09:16 AM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could take a look at my site here: http://www.morrissey.cattish.co.uk and tell me why it doesn't render right in IE.

I'm using the patch from this thread, but I think the versions of IE I have checked in are not version 7, how can it work with earlier versions?

The problem seem to be that the two boxes that form the menus in the left frame overlap each other, also the frames shows borders - I'd prefer no borders.

I guess using frames makes this more complex, but I have no choice because of the software I use for making the picture galleries.

Thanks a lot for your help

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I'm using the patch from this thread, but I think the versions of IE I have checked in are not version 7, how can it work with earlier versions?
IE7. despite its name, is not a new browser or version of Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer version 7.0 is coming, but there are no betas yet and nobody knows what features it will include.

IE7 is a set of JavaScript routines which hook into versions of IE earlier than 7 (which at the moment happens to include the latest version: 6.0.something) and automatically works around many of IE's CSS bugs and limitations. Yes, the name is confusing. It will be changing soon.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 04:24 PM

Has anyone had success with the newer versions of IE7? Versions 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 work great; but anything above version 0.7.3 just absolutely refuses to load in IE.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
Has anyone had success with the newer versions of IE7? Versions 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 work great; but anything above version 0.7.3 just absolutely refuses to load in IE.
0.8 has been working well for me. It's much faster than previous versions, and the project I work on requires pretty much everything to be loaded.

This said, avoid the ie7-squish file. I've had an awful time getting this one to work; it seems to cause more problems than it solves.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
0.8 has been working well for me. It's much faster than previous versions, and the project I work on requires pretty much everything to be loaded.
Do you have a site you can post that it is working on? I've tried both the compressed and uncompressed file for the full version 0.8 and neither will load on any page I try in any version of IE I try.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 09:11 PM

I see it's been two months since anyone posted in this thread, so I hope I get a response. Is anyone using the latest IE7 (version 9.0) to make .png transparencies display correctly in Windows Internet Explorer? It works, but when used with a png-based rollover, my images stay rolled in Windows Internet Explorer - anyone know how to make them roll and unroll properly? Thanks!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 10:20 PM

I think mine works properly: http://selskapsspesialisten.no

However, despite claims to the otherwise 0.9 still breaks style sheet-switching. Anyone know why?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2006, 08:26 PM

if IE doesn't work, go jump in a lake, and then come back and go get firefox ... Anyway, what's the point of using Internet Exploder? Sorry if this is spam =P
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules