Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lasik eyes surgery

Lasik eyes surgery
V
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 04:25 PM

I think I'm ready to go for it. I'm shortsighted (myopia) -6.5 R -7.5 L with -1.25 R -1.75 L astigmatism. I'm planning to go at the "best" clinic offering Lasik Wavefront technology.

Someone has advice on choosing the surgeon, the clinic? Someone knows something that could make me change my mind (I know there's a 3% risk that I have complications) like a better technology coming soon or side effects or limitations of eyes surgery?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 04:30 PM

I can't give you advice on doctors (I'm not in your area), but I've now been 7 years since my Lasik - it is simply a miracle.

Best thing I ever did. I experienced very little in the way of pain or problems. I'd rather do that again than get fillings or even get my teeth cleaned.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 04:34 PM

i think this board is too broad () for you to get a good reply about a surgeon.

i guess you could go by how experienced the doctor is. try talking to his patients that have got it done already. things like that.

the actual procedure is quite like torture, cause you can actually SEE the laser and your eyelids are held open with some devices.. ugh. but i dont think you need to worry as long as you have been 'approved'. they will test your eyes and if they see no risk of a possible complication in the future, then they will approve you.
all the best.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 04:39 PM

Can your eye sight degrade if you sit too close to the computer and things? I'm always in front of a computer and Would be afraid that my sight would go bad again. From what I understand is that once corrected glasses are not able to correct them if it goes again.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
From what I understand is that once corrected glasses are not able to correct them if it goes again.
Generally, if your eyes have been stable for a year or two, they're not going to get any worse. If you're changing your prescription every time you see the eye doctor, you shouldn't get the procedure (and no doctor should offer to perform it on you). My doctor was careful to establish that my eyes hadn't changed in years before recommending it to me.

Of course most people end up having to wear glasses when they get older, as the eye muscles naturally weaken. This has nothing to do with your corneal shape and glasses will correct it.

V: While I don't regret getting lasik for a second, it is a serious decision that's not to be made lightly. If you really want to know the worst that can happen, visit SurgicalEyes.org and check out some of the stories. Keep in mind if you do that these are very much extreme cases and that most people experience few if any negative side effects.

One of the most important factors in choosing a surgeon is length of follow-up. Your procedure should include a minimum of one year of follow-up visits, and some clinics even offer lifetime follow-up care.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 05:33 PM

I've heard both good and bad. I know some people who say it's changed their live, and they can't believe how great it is.

I know one who still needs glasses... no improvement.

And heard some horror stories on TV.

I think most people do good with the surgery. Since it's somewhat trendy, of course you will hear the horrors, but I don't think it's that common to have a negative outcome.

Just find a good recommended doctor.

IMHO, when I don't know a doctor, I get opinions from others who know... my Mother is a home health aid who works out a hostpital, hence sees doctors she knows a bit, and has asked a few times "do you know ____"...

Best way to find out is from someone else.

Stubie
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 06:02 PM

All I know is that my mom got the surgery, and, according to her, has great "far-vision", but she needs reading glasses when she wants to read up close. However, she had REALLY messed up eyes ... she wore bifocals beforehand.
Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2003, 06:04 PM

my husband got it 4 yrs ago--wonderful. he likes being able to get out of bed in the am and just SEE w/out fumbling for glasses. good money spent. no deterioration since then.

he chose one of the best drs in boston. look at the number of procedures they've done, and for how many years.

good luck!

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:27 PM

look before you do it, talk to 10 others that have from the same doctor at least.

i know the guy with the site below.

http://www.lasiksucks4u.com/

ask him any real deal questions you have
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 11:38 PM

I had the surgery in end of 1999 (right eye) and 2000 beginning (left). Great! Now I can finally see my fingers! Seriously.

Do a good search. And forget the price, I mean probably those with too cheap prices are not serious (depending on where you are). You have 2 eyes only, so better choose a good place (I had mine done in Europe, bad to point you any place in ... US??) and be more sure of the result. I had 1 eye first only to be sure it healed with no problems. I'd do it the same way again. I'm happy with the result. Good luck.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

Kilbey
Baninated
May 1, 2003, 12:11 AM

I had my LASIK done summer 2000 at Complete Eye Care in Flint, MI by a guy named Dr. Waters. Unbelieveable! I love it. I always had my glass lenses overcorrected to 20/15 because I really liked seeing long distances for hunting and whatnot. Dr. Waters made sure to do my surgery to 20/15 for me. It ended up even better than wearing glasses. For about 8 months I had fuzzy halos around bright lights at dark, but that has completely disappeared. I went a few months ago for a follow up visit and I checked out at a touch better than 20/20. I didn't have too bad of vision before the surgery. I could read the computer screen without glasses, but anything beyond that was a blur. There was no way I could have driven without glasses before LASIK.

I paid $3,000 US in 2003 and I think it has dropped to about $2,000 US at the same Dr. I would gladly pay the same amount every year if I had to have it done once a year. I HATED glasses.

Do NOT go to Canada to have it done. EVERYONE I know who has went across the border to save some money had complications. Infections, poor service, deep pain, and in one case a guy I know has to wear glasses that are stronger than before the surgery.

Do.
Not.
Go.
To.
Canada.

Thomas Johnson
Durand, MI

EDIT: Damn date wrong. 2000 not 2003. Habits die hard.
( Last edited by Kilbey; May 2, 2003 at 03:12 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 12:14 AM

I had LASIK about 2 years ago. I do not regret it one bit. Like some of the others have said do alot of research and talk to as many people who have done it as you can to get a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. As for me, I experience 2 side effects: (1) My night vision is not as good as before; (2) My left eye dries up much more than it did before. Of course the doctor told me that this might happen, so I wasn't shocked. Overall, I'm happy I got it done.

LASIKSUCKS4U
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 12:38 AM

i am not going to try and scare you, but please check out my website before you decide: www.lasiksucks4u.com - i am not against lasik at all, but if you have ANY doubts, get a second or even third opinion. i had my surgery by supposedly accredited surgeons with excellent affiliations, and am now damaged for the rest of my life. it is not worth the risk...i just passed my 5 year mark, and it has been a long terrible road. there are many doctors out there who are honest and will tell you the straight up, but there are also doctors who will do the surgery regardless of your best interests or rather for the almighty dollar...god willing you don't end up like me

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 03:09 AM

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by LASIKSUCKS4U:
i am not going to try and scare you, but please check out my website before you decide: www.lasiksucks4u.com - i am not against lasik at all, but if you have ANY doubts, get a second or even third opinion. i had my surgery by supposedly accredited surgeons with excellent affiliations, and am now damaged for the rest of my life. it is not worth the risk...i just passed my 5 year mark, and it has been a long terrible road. there are many doctors out there who are honest and will tell you the straight up, but there are also doctors who will do the surgery regardless of your best interests or rather for the almighty dollar...god willing you don't end up like me
whoa! that guy is a pc user too! its good to see both sides of every story though.
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

V  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 02:39 PM

Thanks a lot for all the advices, suggestions and for the testimonials. I have taken several appointments at different clinics and I will see which one inspires me the most. I have many questions to ask and I will see what answers I get. Then I will decide if I go on or not.

Thanks.

P.S. For the guy advising to avoid Canada, I live in Canada (Montreal) !

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I had my LASIK done summer 2003
Summer 2003 has not happened yet...?

(Your location states that you are in the Northern Hemisphere.)

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2003, 11:27 PM

Oh one thing i was thinking before i had it done was that my pupils are freaking big. Like up to 9 mm (1 inch = 25,4 mm) in dark or when I'm stressed (i don't use drugs so it's not it. just been always huge). i asked how my big pupils would behave .. the operation can be done up to 6 - 7 mm normally, and that means in dark my pupils are stil huge. so i see the new CLEAR and CLEAN image, and the old really blurry. that is like seeing a traffic sign in dark - i see the clean picture, read easily what's written on in etc, but there is still the old picture. so that is like seeing a light behind the sign, about 10 times as big as the actual sign = that was how i saw it before. really blurry. that thing is only because of my chronical i-forgot-how-its-called-thing with huge pupils. so that's rare. and still SO MUCH BETTER than before.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

Sealobo
May 2, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Do NOT go to Canada to have it done. EVERYONE I know who has went across the border to save some money had complications. Infections, poor service, deep pain, and in one case a guy I know has to wear glasses that are stronger than before the surgery.

Do.
Not.
Go.
To.
Canada.

Thomas Johnson
Durand, MI
Eh...

My girlfriend did it in HEI Toronto few years ago, everything was great. It costed $5,000 CAD. However she was then an university student so she got a 10% off student discount.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 2, 2003, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
Summer 2003 has not happened yet...?

(Your location states that you are in the Northern Hemisphere.)
Sorry, I typed 2003 out of habit. Takes me 4 months to stop typing 2002 and change to 2003 and now I only type 2003 not 2000. As I get older it seems to time passes more quickly.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 2, 2003, 03:17 AM

O.K., sorry to lump a whole contry because of one area of Canada. Most of my friends either went to Windsor or London, Ontario to have it done cheap. My advice, listen to even older advice: "You get what you pay for."

Thomas Johnson
Durand, MI

Originally posted by sealobo:
Eh...

My girlfriend did it in HEI Toronto few years ago, everything was great. It costed $5,000 CAD. However she was then an university student so she got a 10% off student discount.

LASIKSUCKS4U
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Mulattabianca:
Oh one thing i was thinking before i had it done was that my pupils are freaking big. Like up to 9 mm (1 inch = 25,4 mm) in dark or when I'm stressed (i don't use drugs so it's not it. just been always huge). i asked how my big pupils would behave .. the operation can be done up to 6 - 7 mm normally, and that means in dark my pupils are stil huge. so i see the new CLEAR and CLEAN image, and the old really blurry. that is like seeing a traffic sign in dark - i see the clean picture, read easily what's written on in etc, but there is still the old picture. so that is like seeing a light behind the sign, about 10 times as big as the actual sign = that was how i saw it before. really blurry. that thing is only because of my chronical i-forgot-how-its-called-thing with huge pupils. so that's rare. and still SO MUCH BETTER than before.

if you have larger pupils than normal, most doctors should be very careful to consider you. in some cases, correct measurements were overlooked therefore, at night when your pupils dilate, they dilate past the ablation area. this causes the severe haloes, ghosting, & glaring associated with the lasik. there are guidelines these doctors are supposed to abide by, as well as federal...some do, some don't.

www.lasiksucks4u.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules