Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery life on new 15" has got me depressed....

Battery life on new 15" has got me depressed....
jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 04:58 PM

I have been waiting for the new 15" PB since January, and was planning on ordering one this week, but reports of horrible battery life (2 to 2.5 TOPS) have got me rethinking things and considering the 12" instead...

A few questions:

1. Is the battery on the new 15" PB hot swappable?

2. Would going with the slower 1ghz processor on the 15" mean higher battery life?

3. The new PB's have smaller batteries compared to the old PB's, will the 12" PB's have smaller batteries compared to the old 12 PB's?

Hopefully answers to these questions will also help folks that have been waiting like I have, but also are disappointed by preliminary reports of poor battery life....
( Last edited by jetta_gt; Sep 20, 2003 at 05:30 PM. )

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 12:13 AM

One thing I've noticed is that my battery life started at 1:30. Next time was 2:30. Then 3:30. It seems to fluctuate a LOT depending on many new variables.

So..its not as good as I had hoped with the new processors, but then again, I'm also using a legal version of Panther.

Cop Rock
Sep 21, 2003, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by jetta_gt:
I have been waiting for the new 15" PB since January, and was planning on ordering one this week, but reports of horrible battery life (2 to 2.5 TOPS) have got me rethinking things and considering the 12" instead...

A few questions:

1. Is the battery on the new 15" PB hot swappable?

2. Would going with the slower 1ghz processor on the 15" mean higher battery life?

3. The new PB's have smaller batteries compared to the old PB's, will the 12" PB's have smaller batteries compared to the old 12 PB's?

Hopefully answers to these questions will also help folks that have been waiting like I have, but also are disappointed by preliminary reports of poor battery life....
1. Yes it is. I went to the Apple Store before I bought mine to verify this (the employees I talked to weren't aware that the TiG4 batteries were hot swappable either before I talked to them.)

2. Maybe?

3. I don't think so. The new 15" PowerBooks were redesigned which I think led to the smaller battery. The 12" models haven't changed much (aside from the mini-DV out.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules