Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New powerbook supredrive specs changed?

New powerbook supredrive specs changed?
acadian
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 02:06 AM

When they were first released the specs indicated the drive now supported DVD-RW at 1x but that info has now been removed. It now simply states DVD-R support.
people ruin everything....

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by acadian:
When they were first released the specs indicated the drive now supported DVD-RW at 1x but that info has now been removed. It now simply states DVD-R support.
How fast do these burn regular cd-r's?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 12:40 PM

Someone at Macrumors.com says that DVD-RW works--and doesn't even need Panther... just 10.2.8.

What's the truth? Can the new AlBooks burn and re-write DVD-RW in 10.2.8? In Panther?

That would be great for backups--I'd actually USE a SuperDrive if I could rewrite DVDs.
nagromme

Cop Rock
Oct 13, 2003, 03:45 PM

I have a 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive.

DVD-RW discs work just fine with 10.2.7 and 10.2.8. (I've only tried Sony DVD-RW discs so far, I bought a two pack since I wasn't sure if they'd work at all or not.) The discs play perfectly on my PowerBook and in my Sony DVD player. They do not play in my G4 Cube (DVD-ROM drive).

I burned a DVD-RW disc, erased it with Disk Utility and then burned it again.

My PowerBook and Cube cannot read a pair of DVD+R discs created on a PC.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:01 PM

Good to know. It sounds like you'll likely be able to read AND write (for data, not iApps) +R with Panther. Maybe even +RW. (Now... with WHICH drives, is another question!)
( Last edited by nagromme; Oct 14, 2003 at 12:01 AM. )
nagromme

Cop Rock
Oct 14, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:
I have a 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive.

I burned a DVD-RW disc, erased it with Disk Utility and then burned it again.
I was playing around with DVD-RW discs tonight and had a strange experience. I clicked the burn button in iDVD and it prompted me for a disc. I put in the DVD-RW and it spit it back out saying it wasn't the right type of disc. Then I went to the Finder and inserted the disc again. It asked what I wanted to do with it and I told it to open iDVD. Then I clicked burn within iDVD and it worked just fine.

Odd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules