Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Periph. to connect a Mac to a Home Theatre System

Periph. to connect a Mac to a Home Theatre System
pZsolt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 09:46 AM

To All,

Wanna get rid off my second DVD player which kept only 'cose it can play MP3 as well. Looking for a device which can hook up my Mac to the Home Theatre system, so we can listen all of our compressed music from the HDD. Does anyone have ideas? what to do?
Appreciate your help.

pZsolt

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 10:22 AM

If I am reading this right you want to be able to play your MP3's on your stereo, right? Not knowing what you have for a Mac, if you have a G5 you could do it with the optical cable if the equipment is close enough.

I have been looking at purchasing a Slimp3 (www.slimp3.com) device to do it myself. Needs a network (looks for a DHCP server) but you can hook it up to your equipment and to hook it up to your mac you use an ethernet cable. I am sure you could do wireless with it if needed but I bet you would need a good signal.

I like this setup since it gives you an lcd screen and a remote to use the device. They seem to not hold back to the mac community since they have designed thier software to intergrate with the itunes library.

I am sure there are many other ways out there but this is what I have so far.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 16, 2003, 10:39 AM

Would the Griffin PowerWave be along the lines of what you're after..? It's got RCA inpute and outputs for connection to home audio equipment.

Just an idea!

pZsolt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

I took a look on the Griffin site, but I am not sure this is the periph. I would use. On the site they say that user can hook up any kinda speakers. What I would like to do is to have a simple connection from the Mac to the amplifier, not to the speakers directly.

Have no chance to get a G5 in the next few years, as just bought an eMac (my first ever Mac)

pZsolt

Epicurus
Oct 16, 2003, 12:05 PM

Check out M-Audio's Sonica. It is a USB to optical adapter. Simply plug the Sonica to your system the an optical cable to your receiver. This will be the cleanest way of getting audio to your theater.
M-Audio

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 12:34 PM

I'd have to second the PowerWave. You can do anything with it. It has inputs and (outputs to hook up to an amp).

Cop Rock
Oct 16, 2003, 12:54 PM

If price isn't much of an object I'd suggest a TiVo series 2 with Home Media Option.

In addition to all the great features of TiVo the Home Media Option allows you to listen to any MP3 files from your computer and view any digital pictures you have in iPhoto. The interface is very easy and avoids having to go over to your computer to control what's playing on the home theater system.

It's a bit expensive though. $200-$300 for a TiVo, $300 for lifetime service and $100 for HMO.

TiVo: http://www.tivo.com/
HMO: http://www.tivo.com/4.9.asp
TiVo Forums: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 12:56 PM

You should be able to use your headphone jack. Get a mini-plug-to-stereo-RCA cable, connect the mini-plug to your headphone jack and the RCAs to your receiver's CD or tape inputs. If I'm not mistaken that should work, although the USB approach might be cleaner.

For USB, the PowerWave should work but the iMic might work just as well for 1/2 the cost. Just connect the iMic to the eMac via USB, then connect a mini-plug-to-stereo-RCA cable from the iMic to your stereo's CD or tape inputs.

pZsolt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Epicurus:
Check out M-Audio's Sonica. It is a USB to optical adapter. Simply plug the Sonica to your system the an optical cable to your receiver. This will be the cleanest way of getting audio to your theater.
M-Audio
Hi,

Thanks for the idea. Just ordered an M-AUDIO Sonica with a Terratec optical/coax converter. Hope to have it soon to try.

Thanks one more for the idea

pZsolt

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by pZsolt:
Hi,

Thanks for the idea. Just ordered an M-AUDIO Sonica with a Terratec optical/coax converter. Hope to have it soon to try.

Thanks one more for the idea

pZsolt
before getting anything you should check out the new linksys home media adapter. it is a wireless device that you configure to strean all your music and photos off a pc or mac. wireless is certainly easier, but the big deal is the interface. it has a video out to your tv so you can browse on a real screen! this let's you see a lot more info than a useless 1 or 2 line lcd on the actual device...

it works with itunes, so you can view playlists, etc. right now it is only 802.11b, but a g device is supposed to be right around the corner.

other than this, i would go for the tivo. if it doesn't have an interface to browse through hundreds or thousands of files with it is pretty much weak.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
You should be able to use your headphone jack. Get a mini-plug-to-stereo-RCA cable, connect the mini-plug to your headphone jack and the RCAs to your receiver's CD or tape inputs. If I'm not mistaken that should work, although the USB approach might be cleaner.
This is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to go. Depending on what length cables you'd need, you can definitely get away for under $5 or $10. Plus, it's just a simple matter of plug-and-play.

Forum Links
Forum Rules