Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes sharing problem over 802.11b

iTunes sharing problem over 802.11b
Cop Rock
Sep 29, 2003, 01:25 PM

I'm having some weird problems with iTunes sharing between my computers on my local network at home. Here's my setup:

G4 Cube 450MHz MacOS X 10.2.6
(wired through a netgear switch connected to an smc barricade router or wireless with an Airport card and the smc barricade 802.11b)
G4 PowerBook 15" 1.25GHz MacOS X 10.2.8
(wired through a netgear switch connected to an smc barricade router or wireless with an Airport Extreme card and the smc barricade 802.11b)
SMC Barricade 7004AWBR 802.11b router

I enabled iTunes sharing on the Cube while it was using the wired network then tried to see the shared music with my PowerBook using its wireless connection. For some reason the PowerBook couldn't see the Cube. I switched to wired networking and suddenly it showed up. I switched the PowerBook back to wireless networking and the server disappeared again. I switched the Cube to wireless and suddenly it showed up again.

So, wired and wired works and wireless and wireless works but not wired and wireless.

Any ideas?
( Last edited by Cop Rock; Sep 29, 2003 at 05:18 PM. )

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 04:15 PM

I am not absolutely sure, but I recall that shortly after Apple intro'd Rendezvous in iTunes people found a way to "hack" the sharing feature and actually download each others' files over big networks (like the internet). Thus, they changed the sharing feature to allow it to work only in the same network (with the same subnet).

that'd be my guess... good luck in figuring this out!

Cop Rock  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by docholiday:
I am not absolutely sure, but I recall that shortly after Apple intro'd Rendezvous in iTunes people found a way to "hack" the sharing feature and actually download each others' files over big networks (like the internet). Thus, they changed the sharing feature to allow it to work only in the same network (with the same subnet).

that'd be my guess... good luck in figuring this out!
The two machines are in the same subnet when wired or wireless (the only difference is that they get different absolute addresses in the 192.168.5.x range.) My next best guess is to try manually assigning addresses and see if that helps.

Cop Rock  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 02:10 AM

I finally found a fix for my problem.

I upgraded the PowerBook to 10.3 and still had the problem. I upgraded the Cube to 10.3 this week and the problem went away. I can now access my Cube's shared iTunes library from my PowerBook wirelessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules