Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Which router is compatible with AirportExpress?

Which router is compatible with AirportExpress?
senon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 11:29 AM

Hi guys,

I consider airport express to extend the range of wireless as well as listen to the music remotely. Here is my situation.

I use the insight broadband service and use Netgear 614 wireless rounter. They are all upstairs. But my wife like to enjoy the websuf in the kitchen which is downstairs. She has pc laptop with itues. she wants to listen the music in the pc laptops with itues via airport express connecting external speaker. Also, she wants to enjoy the websuf as fast as possible.

So, Does airport express work with ituens in the pc laptop? and Does it is compatible with my wireless router(Netgear 614) to extend the wireless range using WDS? If it isn't, what brand of wireless router except apple's is it compatible with?

Or to satisfy my need, other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2004, 12:44 PM

You're in the wrong forum.
There is a network forum that serves these kind of questions.

In general, AirportExpress and AirTunes is compatible with PCs running the latest iTunes.
However, extending your wireless range is only possible with 3G Apple Airport Basestations. To my knowledge, AirportExpress in extension mode is not compatible to 3rd party routers.

-t

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:47 PM

The Networking forum has much more info on this...
Airport Express extends the range of another Airport Express or Airport Extreme ONLY. As far as AirTunes goes, I think it will work on any LAN. I have no idea about the PC version of iTunes and AirTunes, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules